Big Ten 2020-2021

9 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

It's interesting to look at Painter's most successful runs, from 2007-2011 and 2015-2018.  Those happen to be some really down years for IU.  It's almost as if his success is predicated on IU sucking.  If we ever get back to a perennial power Painters best years will be behind him. 

Don’t think there’s much correlation there to be honest. The only one I would say is the ‘07 class because of what happened with Sampson but since then, not so much.  I feel like we don’t go head to head in recruiting THAT often (at least prior to Archie getting there). Some of our better teams had guys that IU didn’t offer/recruit (Haas, Mathias, Vince and Carsen, Cline, Swanigan, Hammons, etc...). 

Painter hasn’t had a recruiting run like this in his tenure at Purdue. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

3 minutes ago, BDB said:

Where would you rank Archie?

It was a joke.  I don't come here to get Purdue fans insight.  I have enough friends who are Purdue fans.  Stlboiler is fine.  I just get annoyed sometimes.  Painter is a top 3-4 coach in the Big 10 probably.

Archie - middle of the pack right now.  Hoping that changes soon.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Don’t think there’s much correlation there to be honest. The only one I would say is the ‘07 class because of what happened with Sampson but since then, not so much.  I feel like we don’t go head to head in recruiting THAT often (at least prior to Archie getting there). Some of our better teams had guys that IU didn’t offer/recruit (Haas, Mathias, Vince and Carsen, Cline, Swanigan, Hammons, etc...). 

Painter hasn’t had a recruiting run like this in his tenure at Purdue. 

Cool.  I just met my Purdue thought quota for the year with my last post.  So cheers 🍻

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Curious where you’d put him both in terms of best coaches in the conference and in the country?

Just using this as one factor. There are several so I'm not going to list them all. When you google best coaches in country to not make Final 4 the list is usually....Buzz Williams, Mike Brey, Matt Painter, Sean Miller, and a few others. Draw those names and use your own conclusions. 

In our conference based on recent and past results....I'd probably put him in the 2-4 range based on longevity alone....but he could quickly get freight trained by about 6 coaches if he doesn't get his program to a Final 4. Fair or not....you have to add a F4 to the resume.

Same thing that plagued Keady in his career will always plague Matt. To answer your question about the country. I'd say 20-25+ range is probably appropriate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Curious where you’d put him both in terms of best coaches in the conference and in the country?

You know, @Stlboiler23, you're a good guy, and I enjoy going back and forth with you... But you have to come to a realization...

Purdue just doesn't emphasize sports like most other P5/6 schools. They just don't. 

Take football. Beat IU and go to a bowl game. That's pretty much the aspiration. Tiller hung around for years on that formula. Would he have ever challenged for an NC? If you're honest, you know that answer.

Not to say IU's football aspirations were much different for years. But we have a guy that's trying to change that.

Keady coached at Purdue, what...25 years? Made 2 Elite 8s. But a school that was really serious about a National Championship wouldn't have had him around that long. Was he a good coach? Sure...Hall of Famer...Marty Shottenheimer was a great football coach too, but there's one glaring reason he's never mentioned among the best ever.

Out of the original Big 10 teams, guess which one has the least amount of National titles? Purdue with 4...Even Northwestern has twice that many.

Is Painter a good coach? Sure he is, but he'll never challenge for a National Championship. Not at Purdue he won't. He caught lightening in a bottle a couple of years ago, but fell short. I'd be surprised if he goes that far again.

Painter will be at Purdue as long as they'll have him, which will be forever. It's a symbiotic relationship. And both Matt and the school are ok with it.

Not trying to be mean spirited, just truthful.

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You know, @Stlboiler23, you're a good guy, and I enjoy going back and forth with you... But you have to come to a realization...

Purdue just doesn't emphasize sports like most other P5/6 schools. They just don't. 

Take football. Beat IU and go to a bowl game. That's pretty much the aspiration. Tiller hung around for years on that formula. Would he have ever challenged for an NC? If you're honest, you know that answer.

Not to say IU's football aspirations were much different for years. But we have a guy that's trying to change that.

Keady coached at Purdue, what...25 years? Made 2 Elite 8s. But a school that was really serious about a National Championship wouldn't have had him around that long. Was he a good coach? Sure...Hall of Famer...Marty Shottenheimer was a great football coach too, but there's one glaring reason he's never mentioned among the best ever.

Out of the original Big 10 teams, guess which one has the least amount of National titles? Purdue with 4...Even Northwestern has twice that many.

Is Painter a good coach? Sure he is, but he'll never challenge for a National Championship. Not at Purdue he won't. He caught lightening in a bottle a couple of years ago, but fell short. I'd be surprised if he goes that far again.

Painter will be at Purdue as long as they'll have him, which will be forever. It's a symbiotic relationship. And both Matt and the school are ok with it.

Purdue mens sports only has 1 recognized national title.

F9662B41-E274-470F-A466-C7B3CA8F7ADE.gif

Edited by southsidehoosier
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CincyHoosier said:

It's interesting to look at Painter's most successful runs, from 2007-2011 and 2015-2018.  Those happen to be some really down years for IU.  It's almost as if his success is predicated on IU sucking.  If we ever get back to a perennial power Painters best years will be behind him. 

This is actually exactly right. I also think though that Painter finally figured out “his kind” of guys after striking out with some guys he thought he could develope.  Painter is top 3 in my book in the big ten as far as coaches go.  To be truthful though after the top 3 you have a lot of yet to be determined guys.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I disagree re football. Beating IU isn’t the aspiration. If we didn’t emphasize sports like other programs, we wouldn’t have made the commitment to Brohm that we did where he’s one of the highest-paid coaches in football. Sure it might not work out but clearly the commitment has been made. There wasn’t a legit commitment made to multiple sports for a long time but that’s no longer the case. Tiller had a lot of success but programs like IU and Purdue will never compete for national championships in football. It’s just not going to happen. I disagree re Painter never challenging for a national championship. He has had multiple teams that were good enough to win it all. You don’t think he’ll make it as far as the Elite 8 again? As far as national championships in other sports, I honestly couldn’t care less. If we had 20 titles in sports I didn’t follow or care about, would I feel any different? Nope. If we win a softball national championship and one in tennis the next few years, that’s cool I guess but non-revenue sports don’t do anything for me. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

10 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Is 9 days off that bad? Seems like our team could use the practice and time to get healthy. Maybe a gimme win would work but I’m not sure. 

I want this team on the court as much as possible right now. We don't want 10 day breaks. I want the Big 10 to step in and make sure Michigan and Michigan St aren't getting the benefit of the schedule. If anything....make sure they travel to us not vice versa. 

To date our kids have avoided the problem...don't see a reason why they should be inconvenienced. 

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I want this team on the court as much as possible right now. We don't want 10 day breaks. I want the Big 10 to step in and make sure Michigan and Michigan St aren't getting the benefit of the schedule. If anything....make sure they travel to us not vice versa. 

To date our kids have avoided the problem...don't see a reason why they should be inconvenienced. 

I look at it as an advantage. This is time that can be used to make up for the interrupted off season and abbreviated preseason. They have also have the advantage of having plenty of film for things to work on. They had no games for a week before Iowa and they obviously worked on more than just preparing for them. They looked better in many aspects of the game. Games getting postponed and/or cancelled sucks, but they can use that time to their advantage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I disagree re football. Beating IU isn’t the aspiration. If we didn’t emphasize sports like other programs, we wouldn’t have made the commitment to Brohm that we did where he’s one of the highest-paid coaches in football. Sure it might not work out but clearly the commitment has been made. There wasn’t a legit commitment made to multiple sports for a long time but that’s no longer the case. Tiller had a lot of success but programs like IU and Purdue will never compete for national championships in football. It’s just not going to happen. I disagree re Painter never challenging for a national championship. He has had multiple teams that were good enough to win it all. You don’t think he’ll make it as far as the Elite 8 again? As far as national championships in other sports, I honestly couldn’t care less. If we had 20 titles in sports I didn’t follow or care about, would I feel any different? Nope. If we win a softball national championship and one in tennis the next few years, that’s cool I guess but non-revenue sports don’t do anything for me. 

I had a friend pass and tried to pass on this board but not with much respoces  His  Name was C HUCK BAVIS HE WAS 7 foot tall and was NBA BOUND   hE HELPED  LEAD PU AGinst UCAL Sorry folks  but he was a great guy! St. Louis Boiler

Edited by loviubb
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, loviubb said:

The man lost half of his foot in a car wreck similar to Landon Turner sorry if you feel I am wrong  about how I think sports should be looked at!!!  I am sure you have live a great life! FU 

Dude, I was just trying to translate...I have no idea what you were trying to say.😂😂😂

• Like 1