Big Ten 2020-2021

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Stephen Bardo is everywhere. I think he’s a good analyst and tries to keep his Illinois bias under control. 

Much happier to listen to him multiple times this weekend than Dakich, who has been absent from anything I have watched this weekend 

It'll be a while, if ever, that Dakich escapes the ESPN doghouse...

22 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

well, they are 2 games under .500 in the conference and unranked, but they're clearly better than the Hoosiers.

And they just beat the 3rd ranked team in the country...in the last two weeks they also took out OSU and Illinois...

The way they're playing right now, they're better than a lot of teams...

But what do I know...

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And they just beat the 3rd ranked team in the country...in the last two weeks they also took out OSU and Illinois...

But what do I know...

not much, but you can still have an opinion.  

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

But what do I know...

good point though.  they're better than a couple hundred D1 schools easily.  

9 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

good point though.  they're better than a couple hundred D1 schools easily.  

I hate to "rain" (not rein or reign 😁) on your little dig, but they will be in the tournament...that alone puts them in the top 68...

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Sparty takes down Michigan.

And some people say they aren't very good...

They weren't. They completely turned their season around the same day we ranked ours. 

Credit them, blame us, whatever, but the reality is we went off the rails to end the year and the responsibility is the head coaches. 

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

They weren't. They completely turned their season around the same day we ranked ours. 

Credit them, blame us, whatever, but the reality is we went off the rails to end the year and the responsibility is the head coaches. 

They're playing with confidence. Announcers keep saying Izzo told them all they were playing for their scholarships down the stretch...and you can see the difference in guys like Gabe Brown, Marcus Bingham, and Watts...

Old school motivation...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

They're playing with confidence. Announcers keep saying Izzo told them all they were playing for their scholarships down the stretch...and you can see the difference in guys like Gabe Brown, Marcus Bingham, and Watts...

Old school motivation...

And our guys folded. Archie either chose not to use that type of motivation or he wasn't allowed, either way, it probably cost him his job. 

I tend to think he isn't allowed to do that sort of thing...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

And our guys folded. Archie either chose not to use that type of motivation or he wasn't allowed, either way, it probably cost him his job. 

Maybe...I tend to think he'll be back next year...I think everyone knows that...

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

you really think he was told from above how to handle the team?

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Surprisingly, no...but after investigating, they put him on a very short leash (not to offend any dog lovers or dogs 😁)

This is not a joke.  I tried to read about what happened.  I swear I tried twice. It was so incredibly boring and incoherent I couldn’t keep going. 

So I don’t really know the details beyond the headlines.  My only takeaway is I don’t know why Dan gets himself into these.  It’s not needed.  

I suspect that if he keeps getting embroiled in these situations, he will get whacked.  ESPN obviously thinks he’s talented.  

But the following can be true about anyone.  Your value can get outweighed by the level of pain in the behind you get to be.  If you’re a complete pain in the backside, you better be really, really indispensable.  I’m not sure Dan is at that level.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

This is not a joke.  I tried to read about what happened.  I swear I tried twice. It was so incredibly boring and incoherent I couldn’t keep going. 

So I don’t really know the details beyond the headlines.  My only takeaway is I don’t know why Dan gets himself into these.  It’s not needed.  

I suspect that if he keeps getting embroiled in these situations, he will get whacked.  ESPN obviously thinks he’s talented.  

But the following can be true about anyone.  Your value can get outweighed by the level of pain in the behind you get to be.  If you’re a complete pain in the backside, you better be really, really indispensable.  I’m not sure Dan is at that level.  

My favorite Marty Shottenheimer quote:

"We're all useful, but none of us are necessary." 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The "you're playing for your scholarship" thing carries a little less weight with that Student-Athlete Bill of Rights. 

Not really because it doesn't guarantee you a roster spot.  it just guarantees if you stay at the school your education will be paid for.  Tell me what players will stay on scholarship just for the education and not transfer to play for another tea.  Also I think the main reason for the Bill of rights are for people who get injured and can't play their sport any longer.  also for players who leave early they are still guaranteed that their education will be payed for.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not really because it doesn't guarantee you a roster spot.  it just guarantees if you stay at the school your education will be paid for.  Tell me what players will stay on scholarship just for the education and not transfer to play for another tea.  Also I think the main reason for the Bill of rights are for people who get injured and can't play their sport any longer.  also for players who leave early they are still guaranteed that their education will be payed for.

I know, Scott. But it still hampers the coach via perception. Its a little hard to publicly say the players are playing for their scholarship when the school has adopted this. Its also a dangerous move to play that could backfire on the coach. 

What if Archie makes this statement and then one of the players goes off on Twitter or something posting the Bill of Rights?

Again, a PR nightmare. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Izzo clearly doesn't care about the pr of telling his team they are playing for a scholarship.  They made it pretty public too.  

His school also doesn't have a Bill of Rights stating that every scholarship is guaranteed for 4 years. 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

His school also doesn't have a Bill of Rights stating that every scholarship is guaranteed for 4 years. 

Scott already laid it out clearly so I won't waste our time.  DD has mentioned it's worthless and has no teeth.  Grant Gelon wouldn't even take the bill of rights up on its offer.  No high level d1 basketball player would.  It does not guarantee a roster spot.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

But what do I know...

Said it all year. It’s not who you are playing but when you play them. I agree nobody wants to see them.

59 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

ESPN likes clicks. When their talents say controversial things and hot takes it generates traffic to their site etc. They will use him until he ceases to be useful.