Big Ten 2020-2021

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Maryland just blew a 15 point lead in the last 9 minutes of the game and lost to PSU 66-59.  It is official we will now play Rutgers in the BTT on Thursday.  Also i wouldn't be surprised if PSU will hire the guy who has been the interim coach this year.

he did  do a pretty solid coaching job

Edited by GaloisGroupe

17 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Scott already laid it out clearly so I won't waste our time.  DD has mentioned it's worthless and has no teeth.  Grant Gelon wouldn't even take the bill of rights up on its offer.  No high level d1 basketball player would.  It does not guarantee a roster spot.  

Again, I understand how it works. 

But the reality of its contents and how it works are not how it could play out publicly potentially. All you need is Archie making a similar public comment like Izzo, and then a couple players tweeting out the Bill of Rights. 

This is not a defense of Archie post.

With that said, the way the Rutgers players were essentially laughing at our guys in the last game, this match-up is on the players. If there is a situation where this team is going to come out with energy and enthusiasm, and some pit bull attitude this would be it.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This is not a defense of Archie post.

With that said, the way the Rutgers players were essentially laughing at our guys in the last game, this match-up is on the players. If there is a situation where this team is going to come out with energy and enthusiasm, and some pit bull attitude this would be it.  

I’m very interested to see how we respond. They punked us. We played hard (shot poorly) against Purdue after they did it...hoping for some fight. If not it really worries me about what this team would be like if Archie is back leading them if he can’t get through to them in this game.

What hope do we have for next year if we just lay down.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

Just now, dgambill said:

I’m very interested to see how we respond. They punked us. We played hard (shot poorly) against Purdue after they did it...hoping for some fight. If not it really worries me about what this team would be like if Archie is back leading them if he can’t get through to them in this game.

I guess my point is, he shouldn't even have to get through to them for this. 

Like you said, Rutgers punked them and laughed at them while doing it. If these guys need Archie to "get through to them" for this one, then we have the wrong guys. 

• Like 2

What is scary is that how bad we shot in the regular season imagine how bad it could be inside Lucas Oil Stadium.  Usually the shooting background is a lot worse in a Dome so putting a bad shooting team inside a dome is not a good recipe for success.  Also this is a possible path to win the BTT

Rutgers

UI

Iowa

UM

Edited by IU Scott

25 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I guess my point is, he shouldn't even have to get through to them for this. 

Like you said, Rutgers punked them and laughed at them while doing it. If these guys need Archie to "get through to them" for this one, then we have the wrong guys. 

Whose guys do we have? This is his team. How long then do we have to wait til Archie figures out who the right guys are?

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Whose guys do we have? This is his team. How long then do we have to wait til Archie figures out who the right guys are?

Again, I'm not making some defense of Archie stance here. 

I'm saying as an athlete and a player, if you're not up for this game after the way they got embarrassed and laughed at last game against Rutgers, then that is on the players. 

This is a manhood game, and Archie can't do that for them all the time. This is a game where the players should have some pride and not even need their coach to "get through to them" or get them up for it.   

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Again, I'm not making some defense of Archie stance here. 

I'm saying as an athlete and a player, if you're not up for this game after the way they got embarrassed and laughed at last game against Rutgers, then that is on the players. 

This is a manhood game, and Archie can't do that for them all the time. This is a game where the players should have some pride and not even need their coach to "get through to them" or get them up for it.   

I agree...and if they don’t step up...that worries me about what is in store for next year and the future under Archie and his choice of players. It also worries me he can’t find the right changes to make and adjustments to overcome a superior team.

Edited by dgambill

Just now, dgambill said:

I agree...and if they don’t step up...that worries me about what is in store for next year and the future under Archie and his choice of players.

It would also worry me if most of these guys stayed even under a new coach. 

If you're not up for and locked into this game, regardless of the coach, then I dont think you have that natural fight or mental toughness. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, BGleas said:

It would also worry me if most of these guys stayed even under a new coach. 

If you're not up for and locked into this game, regardless of the coach, then I dont think you have that natural fight or mental toughness. 

I would hope for a clean house for upper classmen. I like our freshman, Armaan, and Race. I wouldn’t lose sleep over any body else. I expect people leaving regardless. The status quo won’t do.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I would hope for a clean house for upper classmen. I like our freshman, Armaan, and Race. I wouldn’t lose sleep over any body else. I expect people leaving regardless. The status quo won’t do.

After the RP comment before the PU game I am afraid that Race won't be here next year.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Maryland just blew a 15 point lead in the last 9 minutes of the game and lost to PSU 66-59.  It is official we will now play Rutgers in the BTT on Thursday.  Also i wouldn't be surprised if PSU will hire the guy who has been the interim coach this year.

They’re not hiring him. 

Wanted to get your opinions here, does Illinois have a case for co-champs? Or is it just "too bad, them's the rules"?

I don't really have much of a beef with Michigan, yes they gamed things a bit when returning from their "pause" but probably most schools would do that. Except for Nebraska I guess? More angry with the Big Ten for allowing it and also just having terrible (really non-existent) communications about the process. And they still never really even came out and said that winning % would be used, just kind of ignored it and then said, "oh hey, look....Michigan won it."

We might get a 3rd game Friday if ya'll can knock off Rutgers, just what we all need. :)

Edited by BruceDouglas

6 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Wanted to get your opinions here, does Illinois have a case for co-champs? Or is it just "too bad, them's the rules"?

I don't really have much of a beef with Michigan, yes they gamed things a bit when returning from their "pause" but probably most schools would do that. Except for Nebraska I guess? More angry with the Big Ten for allowing it and also just having terrible (really non-existent) communications about the process. And they still never really even came out and said that winning % would be used, just kind of ignored it and then said, "oh hey, look....Michigan won it."

We might get a 3rd game Friday if ya'll can knock off Rutgers, just what we all need. :)

And from an Illini website! 😲

"However, the Big Ten Conference athletics directors and Council of President and Chancellors agreed before the beginning of this 2020-2 season to determine the league’s regular season champion by overall winning percentage rightfully assuming the pandemic would cause some programs to play less than the allotted 20 conference games."

But go ahead and hang a banner...you surely do have the space :D  

12 hours ago, dgambill said:

I agree...and if they don’t step up...that worries me about what is in store for next year and the future under Archie and his choice of players. It also worries me he can’t find the right changes to make and adjustments to overcome a superior team.

I'm one of the few people left that would be ok with another year of CAM (barring a home run hire coming available), but if we come out flat and listless against Rutgers, I think that doesn't really leave any doubt about making a change now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And from an Illini website! 😲

"However, the Big Ten Conference athletics directors and Council of President and Chancellors agreed before the beginning of this 2020-2 season to determine the league’s regular season champion by overall winning percentage rightfully assuming the pandemic would cause some programs to play less than the allotted 20 conference games."

But go ahead and hang a banner...you surely do have the space :D  

Thanks, but SI is not exactly reliable these days. And still nothing I can find from the conference itself.

13 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

I feel the frustration, the B1G made rules up as they went in football too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I'm one of the few people left that would be ok with another year of CAM (barring a home run hire coming available), but if we come out flat and listless against Rutgers, I think that doesn't really leave any doubt about making a change now.

I'm actually okay with it too if we cannot get a proven, strong hire. Based on the information we are getting it is seeming more and more likely we can get that proven hire, but I'd much rather run it back with CAM than take a shot on another up and comer or mid-major coach. 

• Like 1