Big Ten 2020-2021

Just now, BruceDouglas said:

Yeah, I've seen those. Look at the date - March 2nd. A little late in the process to be making such an announcement.

It was determined BEFORE the season according to the first article...are you saying they just made it up?

The 2nd and 3rd articles simply affirmed that stance...

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It was determined BEFORE the season according to the first article...are you saying they just made it up?

The 2nd and 3rd articles simply affirmed that stance...

I'm saying it's not a great source. And you'd think it would be easy to find something directly from the conference, but I've never seen it. Nothing in the listing of official news releases. Even the announcements of rescheduled games, where it would seem to make sense to note this...nada.Ā 

Anyway, it's pretty clear which side you come down on. :)

1 minute ago, BruceDouglas said:

I'm saying it's not a great source. And you'd think it would be easy to find something directly from the conference, but I've never seen it. Nothing in the listing of official news releases. Even the announcements of rescheduled games, where it would seem to make sense to note this...nada.Ā 

Anyway, it's pretty clear which side you come down on. :)

I have no love for Michigan (and even less for Illinois) but if the ruling was before the season, and your AD agreed to it, it's kinda crystal clear which side everybody should come downĀ on, isn't it?

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I have no love for Michigan (and even less for Illinois) but if the ruling was before the season, and your AD agreed to it, it's kinda crystal clear which side everybody should come downĀ on, isn't it?

Yeah, if the rule was in place and everyone knew about it, then all this discussion now is really quite surprising.

But I think the exacerbating factor is - if everyone "agreed" to that, they probably also agreed that programs would be making best efforts to reschedule missed games. Or at least the conference would try to ensure as many games were rescheduled as possible. That clearly didn't happen. And once again, silence as to how/why that happened.

We all know "why" though, didn't want a highly seeded, national title contender to play a bunch of games. Oh, unless it's Illinois I guess? If that's the case, then just say so. But nope....crickets.

And that's why you're not seeing much mention by the Big Ten as to how Michigan won the conference. All they've said is, "Michigan clinched first place". Nothing at all about using winning %. Because they don't want to go down that path. Leave that door closed.

6 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Yeah, if the rule was in place and everyone knew about it, then all this discussion now is really quite surprising.

Not to me...I lived around Illinois fans two different times in 2 different parts of the state (Southwest and Chicagoland) and the after the fact griping is exactly what I expect.Ā 

And I do needle the ones I still keep in contact with...One is a relative that's my money guy...I should probably quit that one...he's been good to me but you never know...a bad investment here and thereĀ 

Edited by IUFLA

14 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

But I think the exacerbating factor is - if everyone "agreed" to that, they probably also agreed that programs would be making best efforts to reschedule missed games. Or at least the conference would try to ensure as many games were rescheduled as possible. That clearly didn't happen. And once again, silence as to how/why that happened.

We all know "why" though, didn't want a highly seeded, national title contender to play a bunch of games. Oh, unless it's Illinois I guess? If that's the case, then just say so. But nope....crickets.

And that's why you're not seeing much mention by the Big Ten as to how Michigan won the conference. All they've said is, "Michigan clinched first place". Nothing at all about using winning %. Because they don't want to go down that path. Leave that door closed.

If it was OSU they would have changed the rules.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not to me...I lived around Illinois fans two different times in 2 different parts of the state (Southwest and Chicagoland) and the after the fact griping is exactly what I expect.Ā 

And I do needle the ones I still keep in contact with...One is a relative that's my money guy...I should probably quit that one...he's been good to me but you never know...a bad investment here and thereĀ 

It's not just Illini fans though, other fan bases and media talking about it. Heck, there's an Iowa fan over on the Rivals board who may be madder than any Illini. And those fans hate us as much as you guys.Ā šŸ¤£

21 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

The 3 games they didn't make up are PSU, IU, and Northwestern. Do you think they lose any of those games?

The only thing we're seeing now is that it was agreed upon before the season. You seem to think that wasn't the case. If it wasn't, why wouldn't your AD be saying so?

1 minute ago, BruceDouglas said:

It's not just Illini fans though, other fan bases and media talking about it. Heck, there's an Iowa fan over on the Rivals board who may be madder than any Illini. And those fans hate us as much as you guys.Ā šŸ¤£

Like I said, hang a banner...You have the room... :DĀ 

4 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

The 3 games they didn't make up are PSU, IU, and Northwestern. Do you think they lose any of those games?

The only thing we're seeing now is that it was agreed upon before the season. You seem to think that wasn't the case. If it wasn't, why wouldn't your AD be saying so?

Illinois fans are assuming the we would have taken them down...Ā 

If they were rescheduling "strategically", don't you think they would have found a way to reschedule the NW, IU, orĀ PSU game instead of an MSU game?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

Well, they lost to the 13th place team by 18 points. They just lost to the 9th place team.

So could they lose 1 game out of 3 to #10, #11, #12? Yes. Probabilities would be around 50/50 I'd guess. The other thing is they only rescheduled home games. Illinois has won more road games than Michigan has played.

Our AD may be saying plenty but he's a lawyer and smart enough to do those things out of the public eye. Plus Brad has probably said enough about it as is.

And as I said above, if it was agreed upon, it was also likely understood that teams would try to ensure as many games get rescheduled as possible. That didn't happen.

Edited by BruceDouglas

2 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Well, they lost to the 13th place team by 18 points. They just lost to the 9th place team.

So could they lose 1 game out of 3 to #10, #11, #12? Yes. Probabilities would be around 50/50 I'd guess. The other thing is they only rescheduled home games. Illinois has won more road games than Michigan has played.

Our AD may be saying plenty but he's a lawyer and smart enough to do those things out of the public eye. Plus Brad has probably said enough about it as is.

Maybe, but maybe they also do not lose to MSU if they were playing for the regular season title.Ā 

From a strategic point of view, that game was borderline meaningless with the rules as they had already clinched firstĀ place.

There is not as much motivation to try and be the top #1 seed because all the games are played in Indiana anyway.

Tried to format this as best I could, but difficult on a phone...you get the idea though...

2020-21 Ā All-Big Ā Ten Menā€™s Basketball Team As selected by Big Ā Ten coaches

FIRSTĀ  TEAM

Ā Kofi Cockburn, Illinois

Ā AYO Ā DOSUNMU, Ā ILLINOIS

LUKA GARZA, Ā IOWA

Ā E.J. Ā Liddell, Ohio State

Ā Trevion Williams, Ā Purdue

SECOND TEAM

Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana

Joe Wieskamp, Iowa

Hunter Dickinson, Ā Michigan

Isaiah Livers, Michigan

Ā Franz Wagner, Ā Michigan

THIRD TEAM

Marcus Carr, Ā Minnesota

Aaron Henry, Ā Michigan State

Duane Washington Jr., Ā Ohio State

Ron Harper Jr., Ā Rutgers

Dā€™Mitrik Trice, Ā Wisconsin HONORABLE MENTION

Trent Frazier, Ā Illinois

Jordan Bohannon, Iowa

Eric Ayala, Ā Maryland

Aaron Wiggins, Maryland

Geo Baker, Ā Rutgers ALL-FRESHMAN TEAM Andre Curbelo, Illinois Keegan Murray, Ā Iowa Hunter Dickinson, Ā Michigan

Zach Edey, Ā Purdue Jaden Ivey, Ā Purdue ALL-DEFENSIVE Ā TEAM Trent Frazier, Ā Illinois Darryl Morsell, Maryland

Jamari Wheeler, Penn State

Myles Johnson, Rutgers

PLAYER OF Ā THE Ā YEAR: Luka Garza, Iowa

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF Ā THE YEAR: Darryl Morsell, Maryland FRESHMAN OF THE Ā YEAR: Hunter Dickinson, Ā Michigan SIXTH Ā MAN OF Ā THE Ā YEAR: Andre Curbelo, Illinois

COACH OF Ā THE Ā YEAR: Juwan Howard, Michigan UNANIMOUS SELECTIONS IN Ā ALL Ā CAPS

2020-21 Big Ā Ten Sportsmanship Ā Award Honorees

Trent Frazier, Ā Illinois; Ā Aljami Durham, Indiana;

CJ Fredrick, Iowa; Darryl Morsell, Maryland; Ā 

Austin Davis, Michigan; Joshua Langford, Ā Michigan Ā State;

Ā Gabe Kalscheur, Ā Minnesota; Ā 

ThorirĀ  Thorbjarnarson, Ā Nebraska;

Ryan Greer, Northwestern;

KyleĀ  Young, Ohio State; Ā 

John Harrar, Ā Penn State; Ā 

Sasha Stefanovic, Purdue;

Paul Mulcahy, Ā Rutgers;

Carter Higginbottom, Ā Wisconsin.

2020-21 Ā All-Big Ā Ten Menā€™s Basketball Team As selected by Media Voting Ā Panel

FIRSTĀ  TEAM Kofi Cockburn, Illinois

AYOĀ  DOSUNMU, Ā ILLINOIS

Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana

LUKA GARZA, Ā IOWA Hunter Dickinson, Ā Michigan

SECOND TEAM

Joe Wieskamp, Iowa Isaiah Livers, Michigan Marcus Carr, Ā Minnesota

E.J. Ā Liddell, Ohio State Trevion Williams, Ā Purdue

THIRD TEAM

Franz Wagner, Ā Michigan

Duane Washington Jr., Ā Ohio State

Ron Harper Jr., Ā Rutgers

Dā€™Mitrik Trice, Ā Wisconsin HONORABLE MENTION

Trent Frazier, Ā Illinois Jordan Bohannon, Iowa

CJ Fredrick, Iowa

Eric Ayala, Ā Maryland Darryl Morsell, Maryland

Aaron Wiggins, Maryland

Teddy Allen, Ā Nebraska

John Harrar, Ā Penn State

Myreon Jones, Penn State

Myles Johnson, Rutgers

Jacob Young, Ā Rutgers

PLAYER OF Ā THE Ā YEAR: Luka Garza, Iowa

FRESHMAN OF THE Ā YEAR: Hunter Dickinson, Ā Michigan COACH OF Ā THE Ā YEAR: Juwan Howard, Michigan Unanimous Ā selections IN Ā ALL Ā CAPS

Edited by IUFLA

13 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Both Kalscheur and Robbins our for Gophs tonight. Gonna be tough for them to overcomeĀ 

Robbins in particular. Northwestern has that great size.

They'll miss Kalscheur's experience for sure, but last time I looked, he was under 25% from 3.Ā 

Tre Williams and Mashburn Jr have looked great at times, but their inexperience shows too...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Robbins in particular. Northwestern has that great size.

They'll miss Kalscheur's experience for sure, but last time I looked, he was under 25% from 3.Ā 

Tre Williams and Mashburn Jr have looked great at times, but their inexperience shows too...

Kalscheur is their best defender. Not big enough to check Koop, but he could have guarded Audige and done a good jobĀ 

• Like 1

I guess Carr could keep Minny in it...I don't think Boo Buie is a particularly good defender, and he's the only one quick enough to stay with Carr...

Like to see a couple of good games tonight...I picked PSU, but I think the Huskers have a puncher's chance...