Big Ten 2020-2021

I am stunned that posters are giving up on Howard at Michigan. This is only the beginning of his second season so lets not forget, as Scott has told us many times, that Coach K, Beilein and Bennett started out with collective three year records of 0-270. We are at least 6-8 years from being able to evaluate Howard.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

No.  We have Archie's Dayton resume.  He didn't forget how to coach.  He's just a slow but steady builder.

Don't forget what RMK said about him...and he said that about no other IU coach since his firing.

Knight also thought Pat Knight was a good successor at TT ...LOL

• Haha 1

Just now, dgambill said:

I hope so! Success in the A-10 might not translate so easily to the B1G though. 

Possible, but still, I'd tell you he has much more of a coaching resume than Howard does.  I think he's the one.  Howard will likely out-recruit him at least for awhile, but I think Archie is a far better tactician and will eventually catch and pass him recruiting as well.  Howard needs to let his bench coaches run that part unless he shows more than he has thus far.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I am stunned that posters are giving up on Howard at Michigan. This is only the beginning of his second season so lets not forget, as Scott has told us many times, that Coach K, Beilein and Bennett started out with collective three year records of 0-270. We are at least 6-8 years from being able to evaluate Howard.

Gee...I sense a small amount of sarcasm here.

Howard was brought in to recruit.  He had zero head coaching experience so you'll have to excuse me if I feel like it sounds like Penny Hardaway Part II.  He'll get his chance to prove himself but I think it's fair to say the jury is still out on whether or not he can actually coach, given the lack of a coaching resume.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Gee...I sense a small amount of sarcasm here.

Howard was brought in to recruit.  He had zero head coaching experience so you'll have to excuse me if I feel like it sounds like Penny Hardaway Part II.  He'll get his chance to prove himself but I think it's fair to say the jury is still out on whether or not he can actually coach, given the lack of a coaching resume.

He was an assistant coach in the nba. Now most of what he did was work with player development but if he even picked up a little from Eric Spoelstra then he might end up being a great coach. I think he has a lot going for him. You don’t have to be the strongest xo guy to be a great coach. A lot goes into managing a team and motivating them and improving them outside the tactical on court adjustments. I do think he needs to have good assistants and he does...but as time goes on he will learn on the job. I think it will be to our own detriment to underestimate him.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

He was an assistant coach in the nba. Now most of what he did was work with player development but if he even picked up a little from Eric Spoelstra then he might end up being a great coach. I think he has a lot going for him. You don’t have to be the strongest xo guy to be a great coach. A lot goes into managing a team and motivating them and improving them outside the tactical on court adjustments. I do think he needs to have good assistants and he does...but as time goes on he will learn on the job. I think it will be to our own detriment to underestimate him.

Not underestimating him...just saying the jury is still out when you are in your first head coaching gig.  If he ultimately is a mediocre coach, his recruiting will likely eventually taper off as well.  For me, he has a lot to prove.  Michigan made the big splash hire and he's proven he's a strong recruiter out of the box, but Penny came hard out of the gate at Memphis as well.

No question you give him time to prove his case.  It would be stupid not to after you make the commitment Michigan did.  I'm just not a fan of hiring the high-end former NBA player as a college coach.  I just don't see a lot of those working out at the college level for whatever reason.  Lesser players just seem to make better coaches.  We can debate why but I'd give you two recent examples in Ewing and Hardaway that make me question just how well big NBA stars will translate to college coaching.

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Not underestimating him...just saying the jury is still out when you are in your first head coaching gig.  If he ultimately is a mediocre coach, his recruiting will likely eventually taper off as well.  For me, he has a lot to prove.  Michigan made the big splash hire and he's proven he's a strong recruiter out of the box, but Penny came hard out of the gate at Memphis as well.

No question you give him time to prove his case.  It would be stupid not to after you make the commitment Michigan did.  I'm just not a fan of hiring the high-end former NBA player as a college coach.  I just don't see a lot of those working out at the college level for whatever reason.  Lesser players just seem to make better coaches.  We can debate why but I'd give you two recent examples in Ewing and Hardaway that make me question just how well big NBA stars will translate to college coaching.

Oh there are plenty. Mullins, Drexler, IT...I mean tons that don’t translate but I also wouldn’t call Howard a high end nba player...I mean he was good but his career isn’t HOF worthy or anything. I mean after he turned 30 his career fell off and he spent like his last 5 years as a player coach really on top of later being an actual assistant coach. But I don’t think he was like Chris Webber or Jalen good...but you are right...time will tell. That said we’ve seen plenty of coaches that weren’t the greatest with the clipboard be successful. Just look at Cal for one. All depends on how you sell yourself and develop your kids.

It seems like most of the big ten aren't playing many top teams in the non conference.  Everyone is playing an ACC team but it seems like their other games are not to challenging.  I was wondering if we weren't in Maui if we would have done the same thing.  We only have two gimme games where a lot of other big ten teams did not schedule any top teams.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It seems like most of the big ten aren't playing many top teams in the non conference.  Everyone is playing an ACC team but it seems like their other games are not to challenging.  I was wondering if we weren't in Maui if we would have done the same thing.  We only have two gimme games where a lot of other big ten teams did not schedule any top teams.

I love that we have a hard schedule though. It’d be awesome to eventually mimic the scheduling that Michigan State does every year. 

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

If we weren't in Maui I wouldn't mind a couple layups. I know people will get bored of hearing this but Big 10 is so stacked our last gimme game of the year is a week from this Sunday. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Trying to decide how this one will play out. Game was close and it looked like Baylor just said enough is enough and moved it to double digits very quickly. Or just maybe the Big 12 has 4-5 really good teams this year like we do? 

I wish "The Whinin Illini" had gotten beat by 60... 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Ugly game

First half was brutal. Both teams were rushing and trying to run 100 yard dashes.   Once everything settled in the second half, it looked like a normal b-ball game and was great to watch illini get beaten.  

Cockburn is average. His size alone makes him effective for college, but I don’t see how he’ll ever play in the NBA.  His shoes are filled with cement. 

IU will match up well with them.  They play 4 guards.  IU can play two big men and expose them down low. But key will be guarding the perimeter, which to this point, Franklin and Rob have been solid at that. 

• Like 1