Big Ten 2020-2021

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Their offense is really good...their defense is substandard though...They run into a good defensive team, and they'll be vulnerable...

Their attack mode will offset some of their weakness on defense. The Crean years showed that. Iowa and the ILLNI both showed they are a  threat to win the NCCA CHAMP. Not even mentioning MSU. These seem like the late 80"s THE BIG 10 IS THAT  GOOD AND DEEP! IU and i HATE TO SAY IT  ARE NOT THERE YET! BUT getting in  my opinion close.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I finally watched the game...yeah not his finest moment. Just a total collapse.

Side not the Cross kid we missed on that went to Miami looked good. 😒

Edited by loviubb

15 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

So we go 2-1 vs those three teams you mentioned last year with the 1 loss coming on 3 bad calls in last 30 seconds vs Illinois, return our entire core and now you think 30 point losses this year?

Those other teams not named IU are # 3, 4 & 6 in the Nation but after tonight 30pt losses was a complete exaggeration.  

Creighton certainly doesn't look anything like the #8 team in the country. Losing by 2 at home to Nebraska late in the 1st half...

Hoiberg is doing a good job with the Huskers. They run a nice offense and share the ball...hitting shots and defense are their issues...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Thanks 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

Creighton certainly doesn't look anything like the #8 team in the country. Losing by 2 at home to Nebraska.

Hoiberg is doing a good job with the Huskers. They run a nice offense and share the ball...hitting shots and defense are their issues...

Ii was thinking the same thing about Creighton.  I thought if this talent level is ranked 8th in the country that is not a good sign.  I went and looked at the roster of the #8 team in 1991 and it was Arizona.  That Arizona team had 4 future NBA players and this Creighton break probably has no NBA talent

29 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Creighton also has Alex O'Connell who is not playing due to injury right now.  wish he would have transferred to IU to give us a shooter.  guess it wouldn't help if he is injured though.

If he would have went to IU, he would have forgot how to shoot.  Sigh

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, rico said:

If he would have went to IU, he would have forgot how to shoot.  Sigh

Having similar discussion in other threads but my concern, so far, is not with the players but with CAM as to how and to what extent he de-emphasizes outside shooting. I generally believe in CAM and see the team starting to show his toughness / grit, but I do not like the way he leaves Hunter in the bench and focuses more on the idea of limiting TO’s to create offense than shooting. I don’t see guys forgetting how to shoot, I see shooting not getting the kind of emphasis I think it should 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Having similar discussion in other threads but my concern, so far, is not with the players but with CAM as to how and to what extent he de-emphasizes outside shooting. I generally believe in CAM and see the team starting to show his toughness / grit, but I do not like the way he leaves Hunter in the bench and focuses more on the idea of limiting TO’s to create offense than shooting. I don’t see guys forgetting how to shoot, I see shooting not getting the kind of emphasis I think it should 

I'd also ask how does Archie handle the team from an offensive perspective? I firmly believe that schematically IU's offense is good. IU gets good, open shots under Archie. We've just struggled to make them for his time here. So, how is the team handled offensively from a coaching perspective when they miss shots? There's clearly a confidence issue with the team over the last 4 years in terms of shooting.

Shooters need good form, mechanics, all of that stuff, but above everything shooters need confidence, and IU players have not seemed confident since Archie got here. Does he yell and scream at them when they miss? Has he created culture that focuses on getting to the basket so much that there is an aura of "if you take a 3, you better make it or else?"

I don't know the answers to those questions, nobody on this board does. But from my experience those things matter more than any set, system, or schematic offense. 

I played the wing in college and I played for a coach that would lose his mind every time you missed. You could miss a clean, open 3 and running back down court you could hear him screaming at you. We had good shooters, but often weren't a great shooting team because of the atmosphere/culture our coach had created around shooting. 

I'm not saying Archie is doing that. I think part of it is recruiting. Archie hasn't really recruited pure shooters. He's recruited guys that can shoot, but not shooters. He's never brought in a JBJ, Hulls, Roth, Zeisloft, etc., so it could be more that. 

But I think it's valid to question the atmosphere/culture Archie has instilled offensively, because again schematically the offense is perfectly fine. 

Edited by BGleas
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'd also ask how does Archie handle the team from an offensive perspective? I firmly believe that schematically IU's offense is good. IU gets good, open shots under Archie. We've just struggled to make them for his time here. So, how is the team handled offensively from a coaching perspective when they miss shots? There's clearly a confidence issue with the team over the last 4 years in terms of shooting.

Shooters need good form, mechanics, all of that stuff, but above everything shooters need confidence, and IU players have not seemed confident since Archie got here. Does he yell and scream at them when they miss? Has he created culture that focuses on getting to the basket so much that there is an aura of "if you take a 3, you better make it or else?"

I don't know the answers to those questions, nobody on this board does. But from my experience those things matter more than any set, system, or schematic offense. 

I played the wing in college and I played for a coach that would lose his mind every time you missed. You could miss a clean, open 3 and running back down court you could hear him screaming at you. We had good shooters, but often weren't a great shooting team because of the atmosphere/culture our coach had created around shooting. 

I'm not saying Archie is doing that. I think part of it is recruiting. Archie hasn't really recruited pure shooters. He's recruited guys that can shoot, but not shooters. He's never brought in a JBJ, Hulls, Roth, Zeisloft, etc., so it could be more that. 

But I think it's valid to question the atmosphere/culture Archie has instilled offensively, because again schematically the offense is perfectly fine. 

Good points Gleas - and a coach’s persona can definitely affect how and when a team shoots. That was part of RMK’s later tenure  teams’ downfall for example. The ball movement became swing it around the perimeter until the end of shot clock because guys were scared to shoot because Knight would scream and then yank them when they missed.

CAM’s recruiting so far is, IMO, more focused on D and toughness than shooting — but Leal is an example of recruiting shooting. His scouting was high level shooter with good range who will eventually start. He is a very good shooter. But I do think CAM’s focus on D and ball handling first is why you see, for example, Hunter on the bench — when we need shooting on the floor, and this is bothering me. We lost the last game for lack of shooting. We had shooting but CAM left Galloway out there and Hunter on the bench. Bad decision / style imo.

9 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Watching Illinois vs Missouri game. Ayo Dosunmu is a real deal and is unstoppable. I'm already worried how our team is going to deal with him. 

Same way as we did last year. 3 bad calls in 30 seconds let the Illini win.....otherwise it's 8 of 9 or whatever it is. Problem with Ayo besides his high dribble and low release on his shot....not much else there. But Missouri is Missouri. I'd expect a choke.

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 1