Big Ten 2020-2021

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe it's just me or maybe I don't close enough attention to other teams but I don't recall a top 20 team losing by 25 once a week like Minnesota does.....or in some cases winning by 25 like they did vs Sparty. Seems to suggest they are on or off each game. No middle ground...which back to my point you would think top 20 teams would be more consistent.

Like I said, I think it has to do with Williams Arena...

For years players have been saying that it's a tough place to shoot because of the sightlines...Kinda like shooting in the old domes during the tournament...The Gophers are use to it, so they have a distinct home court advantage...

Get them on the road they are a pedestrian team at best...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Like I said, I think it has to do with Williams Arena...

For years players have been saying that it's a tough place to shoot because of the sightlines...Kinda like shooting in the old domes during the tournament...The Gophers are use to it, so they have a distinct home court advantage...

Get them on the road they are a pedestrian team at best...

You got me curious so I looked it up.Ā  All-time(from what I found) the Gophers are 856-331 at the Barn.Ā  Translates to a .721 winning %.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rico said:

You got me curious so I looked it up.Ā  All-time(from what I found) the Gophers are 856-331 at the Barn.Ā  Translates to a .721 winning %.

My curiosity got me searching as well. They've had 3 Big 10 seasons with better than .500 record since 2000. Pair that tidbit with your .721 winning %.....I realize a chunk of the .721 are probably preseason but still. Huge variance.

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

My curiosity got me searching as well. They've had 3 Big 10 seasons with better than .500 record since 2000. Pair that tidbit with your .721 winning %.....I realize a chunk of the .721 are probably preseason but still. Huge variance.

https://gophersports.com/sports/2018/5/21/sports-m-baskbl-spec-rel-williams-arena-records-html.aspx?id=1683

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rico said:

So here's an interesting tidbit...Here's Minnesota's record against the original B1G teams since 1950...

Minny.PNG.99f018afa5ab3a72739771ab67a9cb93.PNG

They only have a winning record against Northwestern and Wisconsin :DĀ Next time a Sconie gets out of line with ya, pull THAT one on him...

And I think this also lends to the Williams arena theory...I'm not gonna go back and see what their B1G record home vs road is, but I'll bet it's one of the biggest disparities in the conference...Corky Taylor not withstanding...Ā 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So here's an interesting tidbit...Here's Minnesota's record against the original B1G teams since 1950...

Minny.PNG.99f018afa5ab3a72739771ab67a9cb93.PNG

They only have a winning record against Northwestern and Wisconsin :DĀ Next time a Sconie gets out of line with ya, pull THAT one on him...

And I think this also lends to the Williams arena theory...I'm not gonna go back and see what their B1G record home vs road is, but I'll bet it's one of the biggest disparities in the conference...Corky Taylor not withstanding...Ā 

A reminder to everyone....sports-reference is everybody's friend.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Don't see many teams get outscored 53-13 in the second half

Per CBS Sports...

Ā 

That was on full display during a historic second half. Illinois (9-3, 5-1 Big Ten) outscored Northwestern 53-13 after it trailed by 15 at the break. The Illini limited the Wildcats to just two field goals and forced nine turnovers in the final 20 minutes of their biggest victory at Northwestern since a 63-30 blowout on Feb. 19, 2000.

Ā 
Ā 
Ā 

According to STATS, Illinois became the first team to outscore a major conference opponent by at least 40 points in a single half since Kentucky outscored Vanderbilt by 43 in the second half of a 106-44 win on March 5, 2003. The Illini are the only Division I team in the last 25 seasons to trail by at least 15 points at halftime and come back to win by 20 or more.

1 hour ago, rico said:

Per CBS Sports...

Ā 

That was on full display during a historic second half. Illinois (9-3, 5-1 Big Ten) outscored Northwestern 53-13 after it trailed by 15 at the break. The Illini limited the Wildcats to just two field goals and forced nine turnovers in the final 20 minutes of their biggest victory at Northwestern since a 63-30 blowout on Feb. 19, 2000.

Ā 
Ā 
Ā 

According to STATS, Illinois became the first team to outscore a major conference opponent by at least 40 points in a single half since Kentucky outscored Vanderbilt by 43 in the second half of a 106-44 win on March 5, 2003. The Illini are the only Division I team in the last 25 seasons to trail by at least 15 points at halftime and come back to win by 20 or more.

Wow.Ā  2 fields goals in the 2nd half.Ā  If Illinois is going to commit on the defensive end like that, watch out.Ā  They already have one of the most alpha scoring guards.Ā  Hate to admit.Ā Ā 

Ā 

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Wow.Ā  2 fields goals in the 2nd half.Ā  If Illinois is going to commit on the defensive end like that, watch out.Ā  They already have one of the most alpha scoring guards.Ā  Hate to admit.Ā Ā 

Ā 

I have yet to look at the boxscore nor did I watch the game.Ā  But I surmise the 'Cats took shots.Ā  I wonder how NW fans felt when their team imploded?

An offensive explosion is happening in the MSU and PU game.Ā  At the under 4 timeout MSU is up 24-16.Ā  Purdue had scored 8 points in the last 3 minutes, after scoring 8 points in the first 14 minutes.Ā  I don't remember so many possessions going all the way to the expiration of the shot clock.Ā  Watching old games with a 45 second clock you did not see the clock mention very often.