Big Ten 2020-2021

22 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Shows how smart the school is for being patient with him and seeing his potential. I know the point your making but it doesn’t make sense to me. He was a young coach that just needed time to break through. To me it’s a compliment to their AD for having faith in what he knew was a great coach.

Same compliment for the AD with Hope and Hazell? Just trying to follow things.

21 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Why you’re still hung up on that random fact is beyond me. Only 2 of those years were non-tournament years. Sometimes you lose in the first round. It’s clear he had built up enough equity his first 7 years where the down years were looked at as an anomaly not the norm. 

Hung up on random fact? It's his and Purdue's history. Again...I'll keep waiting for anyone to point me to a school that did the same. 

As you know I've brought this up 50x...and will bring it up another 50x until someone can point me in the correct direction. Painter is a good guy, at times a good coach....but only at Purdue would that guy still be employed. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well not 4 years in a row without a tournament win but starting in the 94-95 season RMK lost 3 straight years in the tournament.  In his last 6 years he only won 2 tournament games.  This was after RMK had been there for 23 years.

Yep. Know those stats as well. You think I would post something w/o triple checking the anti-IU posts crowd? Of course it goes without saying...I'd say Coach Knight had a tad more equity built up. Don't you think?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

All good. You missed my point. No other school in the conference would allow him to have the recent success he undoubtedly has had. 

Still waiting for the answer though from anyone. Point me to a school that has a coach on the job in the Big 10 for 7 years....followed by 4 years of no tourney wins. 

I’ll give you the two years we didn’t make the tournament. But the years after? 21 wins and a 3rd place finish in conference and then 26 wins and another 3rd place finish in conference. Proof he righted the ship even with losing in the first round of the tourney. 

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I’ll give you the two years we didn’t make the tournament. But the years after? 21 wins and a 3rd place finish in conference and then 26 wins and another 3rd place finish in conference. Proof he righted the ship even with losing in the first round of the tourney. 

He wouldn't still be coaching at any of the blue bloods...IU included...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Hung up on random fact? It's his and Purdue's history. Again...I'll keep waiting for anyone to point me to a school that did the same. 

As you know I've brought this up 50x...and will bring it up another 50x until someone can point me in the correct direction. Painter is a good guy, at times a good coach....but only at Purdue would that guy still be employed. 

It’s a weird hill to die on that’s for sure. Acting like it’d only happen at Purdue is nothing more than an opinion. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

2 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I hate Purdue and Painter but the dude can coach.  He got caught up in chasing some big names recruits then remembered his roots and started recruiting guys that fit his system.  I feel sick now

Yeah, but the greatest coach in their history never made a final 4...Christ, it's been 41 years since they've gone even that far...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That's exactly who I was thinking of...but he really hasn't turned in a "good Devonte" 9-15 from 3 effort yet...

I don't know about that...I think he could wind up being a head case like Eastern...

I wouldn't mess with Trevion if I was him though...

Don’t think there are any similarities between Ivey and Eastern tbh. Ivey also has a mom who won’t harm his career like Nojel’s did.  The two of them couldn’t be more different. 

Just now, IUFLA said:

Yeah, but the greatest coach in their history never made a final 4...Christ, it's been 41 years since they've gone even that far...

That's the thing. The kid is saying he doesn't understand me...while it's occam's razor. No other Big 10 team in the last 20 years or 4 decades has allowed what Purdue has. 

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Don’t think there are any similarities between Ivey and Eastern tbh. Ivey also has a mom who won’t harm his career like Nojel’s did.  The two of them couldn’t be more different. 

What did you think of his performance tonight, including the arse chewing he took from Williams?

Edited by IUFLA

42 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

The guy is a stud in the making IMO. Just has been inconsistent and lost 5 games due to injury. He’s been pretty tough to stop going to the rim and has settled for jumpers too often though IMO. 

This one could go either way.  Probably overhyped and not skilled.  But he’s athletic and could turn into a good player.  

Basketball has always been a game of skill not how good you look coming off the bus.  Yet guys like Sasha are overlooked.  How many physical specimens cocky about it looked like dumb asses when Larry Bird destroyed them.  Think Rodman.   Ivey could turn into a good player but I was surprised to the negative when I got a good look.  

Purdue has recruited well lately.  But they will find out what Indiana has faced much more than Purdue has. A lot of times the higher ranked guys have defects and the hungry under ranked guys can take it to them.  Andrae Patterson vs Brian Cardinal is a good example.  Or Brad Miller vs Jason Collier. Purdue has benefited from this fallacy over the years.  But in many ways, when you are rolling in recruiting, you may pick the wrong ones.  Logan Duncomb vs Furst might be interesting to see play out.  Or Kaufman trying to play the three.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno

8 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I hate Purdue and Painter but the dude can coach.  He got caught up in chasing some big names recruits then remembered his roots and started recruiting guys that fit his system.  I feel sick now

Just for fun before I have to hit the road. Did it take Painter 11 years to figure out the guys that fit his system? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

This one could go either way.  Probably overhyped and not skilled.  But he’s athletic and could turn into a good player.  

Basketball has always been a game of skill not how good you look coming off the bus.  Yet guys like Sasha are overlooked. Ivey could turn into a good player but I was surprised to the negative when I got a good look.  

Purdue has recruited well lately.  But they will find out what Indiana has faced much more than Purdue has. A lot of times the higher ranked guys have defects and the hungry under ranked guys can take it to them.  Andrae Patterson vs Brian Cardinal is a good example.  Or Brad Miller vs Jason Collier. Purdue has benefited from this fallacy over the years.  But in many ways, when you are rolling in recruiting, you may pick the wrong ones.  Logan Duncomb vs Furst might be interesting to see play out.  Or Kaufman trying to play the three.  

Overhyped and not skilled? Disagree with you there. 

3 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I do. He was ranked 80+ is that really heavily publicized? He has a lot of tools and will end up being one of Painter’s best guards IMO. 

Well fine.  I heard a ton of stuff about him and how good he is.  By the way, I complimented several Purdue players in my post and mentioned that Purdue is rolling in recruiting.  So it’s not like I’m not being credible by just trashing Purdue.  I just think I was surprised by how far he’s got to go.  I did say he could turn into a good player depending on his makeup. 

Edited by BobSaccamanno

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I do. He was ranked 80+ is that really heavily publicized? He has a lot of tools and will end up being one of Painter’s best guards IMO. 

Believe me, though...we at IU can tell you what a few dysfunctional players can do to a teams chemistry?

Did you see the crying in the OSU post game?

I understand emotion, but come on...hr came off as slightly unhinged...

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Well fine.  I heard a ton of stuff about him and how good he is.  By the way, I complimented several Purdue players in my post and mentioned that Purdue is rolling in recruiting.  So it’s not like I’m not being credible by just trashing Purdue.  I just think I was surprised by how far he’s got to go.  I did say he could turn into a good player depending on his makeup. 

Didn’t say that at all! Just disagree re the Ivey stuff is all.