Tennessee Tech Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Candystripes_56 said:

Gotta love these freshman. Refreshing seeing guys that can play fast via IQ. All played well and saw good teammates in timeouts. Critically speaking, Galloway needs to work on playing laterally.

Wasn't pleased with anyone else, maybe outside of Rob, but even he could work on controlling tempo.

TJD- free throws 

Race- no offensive game other than being more athletic 

Armaan - poor off the ball play and underwhelming effort/high motor tbh 

Al- same ol Al: Points-off-transition-Al. Nothing much has changed. Had astonishingly poor footwork off the ball, in-route to his first shot. Not quick with the ball (poor IQ). 

Jerome- okay, so you’ve worked on your turnaround. Where’s the explosion though?

Guys, I really hate to say it, I was very optimistic, but we are bottom half of B1G again

What in the hell are you drinking?

Thought the team showed some promising moments throughout the game, but there were definitely segments in the game that were hard to watch. However, I think this team will be much improved by the time we head into January. I like the feel of this team, especially with the new freshman. I have a feeling they will be much more competitive this year in the Big Ten. Not really sure yet how we will finish in the standings, but I think this squad will be competitive and give themselves a chance in the B10 games. 

Other Big Ten Teams: Illinois is a great team this year for sure, but that score is very misleading.. the team they played was absolutely pathetic. 

Michigan State didn't look that impressive either in my opinion. 

It'll be interesting to see how everyone looks after these tougher non-conference games. 

6 minutes ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

Thought the team showed some promising moments throughout the game, but there were definitely segments in the game that were hard to watch. However, I think this team will be much improved by the time we head into January. I like the feel of this team, especially with the new freshman. I have a feeling they will be much more competitive this year in the Big Ten. Not really sure yet how we will finish in the standings, but I think this squad will be competitive in each game and give themselves a chance in the B10 games. 

Other Big Ten Teams: Illinois is a great team this year for sure, but that score is very misleading.. the team they played was absolutely pathetic. 

Michigan State didn't look that impressive either in my opinion. 

It'll be interesting to see how everyone looks after these tougher non-conference games. 

Illinois played a team that is rated higher in Kenpom than our opponent.  Thing is they did what they were supposed to do. 

Some of you are way too reactionary. Go Zoom call your loved ones, be thankful for your health, and that we have IU basketball back. 

There was a lot of good things, but still some bad. It was Game One the day before a holiday and before we go play in a tournament. 

Let's see how we look next week before declaring we have major problems. 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Some of you are way too reactionary. Go Zoom call your loved ones, be thankful for your health, and that we have IU basketball back. 

There was a lot of good things, but still some bad. It was Game One the day before a holiday and before we go play in a tournament. 

Let's see how we look next week before declaring we have major problems. 

They are the same issues we have had for 3 years. 

42 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

If we can’t shoot 3s and FTs this year isn’t going to be different than the last couple.  It’s one game but given it’s against a cupcake it’s worrisome these continue to not just be weaknesses but terrible weaknesses.  

Unlike year’s past, I think they improve on both. They’re not a great shooting team, but they’re better. 

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Illinois played a team that is rated higher in Kenpom than our opponent.  Thing is they did what they were supposed to do. 

Any preseason ratings.. including Kenpom aren't 100% legitimate. How can you rate one team higher than the other without even playing a game yet. I watched that entire Illinois game, and the team they were playing looked like a high school JV team. Thought Tennessee Tech was a lot more disciplined and a lot more structured by far. Once again, Illinois will be a great team this year but that score is misleading.  A lot of blow outs today. Go check out that Arkansas score... 

14 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

They are the same issues we have had for 3 years. 

Free throw shooting, sure, but aside from that I guess we watched different games. 

We had a nearly 3:1 ATO, that's not like years past. 

We held the other team to 40% from the field, forced a lot of turnovers, and defended without fouling. That seems pretty good. 

We moved the ball well on offense and got the kind of looks we wanted. Is that what you've said about Archie's offense in the past?

Galloway has a negative plus/minus effectively showing how worthless of a stat it is.

Overall I would say that I was satisfied with the game. First game of the year and a new environment without fans leaves me less stressed about the issues that we had tonight. I think to really make some noise this year besides a middle of the pack finish in the B10/7 or 8 seed in the tournament, we are obviously going to have to shoot the ball much better.

Personally I think that the team will be an improved outside shooting team with the addition of Lander, the subtraction of Smith, and improvements with the returning guys.

27 minutes ago, madmax said:

Galloway has a negative plus/minus effectively showing how worthless of a stat it is.

I'm with you...I want to see the justification for that.

the +/- has been suspect for me for awhile because it doesn't consider who else is on the floor with the person being measured.

2 hours ago, BDB said:

That’s stuff that should be worked on in the off season.  

Yes, I'm sure Archie told the guys to only work on layups and dunks over the course of the off-season.

TIC obviously, but I think shooting woes are generally not a sign of a lack of work or repetitions. I think more often than not its a lack of development and training over time and deficiencies in recruiting.

Ok, sometimes I get the impression people just look for the negative and then pull up a box score to look for what they think they can critique. 

Complaints about shooting? 
Let’s see, Hunter and Rob both looked great - not just ok, they looked great shooting. Hunter was 4-6 overall (showing a strong inside game including a hook shot) and 1-2 from deep, and Rob hit 2-3 from deep and 5-8 FG’s. The team low outside percentage came because Al didn’t shoot well tonight (1-5) - and we know he shot 38 percent from last year so hello he can shoot, and Lander, in his first college game and no exhibition etc (1-4). Leal shot 0-2 and he comes out of HS as a shooter — it’s his first game.

So complaining about shooting?? Really? Let me repeat, Hunter and Rob looked great, that’s the takeaway, not made up bad shooting. 

Thete was a lot of encouraging stuff. Maybe listen to the announcers, you know Hummel, who knows a bit about college ball, repeatedly commenting how we looked like a really good team. Golly. 

- The frosh showed real promise. Galloway is really good downhill. And the team is playing downhill, fast breaking, so he will have lots of opportunity to shine. He got lost on D a few times and his outside shot / release is slow and didn’t look there tonight (though agsin just the first game), he has stuff to work on, but he looked really confident and ready, 13 points out of the gate. 
- Geronimo’s D is ahead of his O, at least on this first game, much like Vic. But you can see the havoc he can cause, he Was  altering shots well. 
- Lander looks great coming up the floor and when he gets it going with TJD that is going to be special. His outside shot wasn’t falling but his form  is good. I’d bet on him starting soon. 
- Race looked good, he wasn’t forcing it just looked to be taking what the game gave him. He plays well with TJD. 
- Al was clearly solid and yeah, best plus - minus, reflecting that. He just wasn’t hitting from deep. Had a beautiful full court drive to the rim, flew down the court. 
- TJD with 26 with like 7 minutes still to play. That’s despite early misses at the rim which we all know are unusual for him — he’s going to kill it this year. 
- back to Hunter, dude looked like a Smooth baller. Strong inside play, 2 steals, smooth looking deep shot. Played off the bench because we’re starting 3 guards, but 21 minutes, and started second half.

what, 22 assists and just 8 TO’s in the team’s first game, when they’re playing fast, getting out repeatedly on the break, pushing the ball even in the half court, and people complain?? Really??

Encouraging. We’re going to be pretty good this year 

A lot of good comments in this thread so far...I had just a couple of thoughts...

Hunter I thought looked great. His defense was much improved and that will get him more minutes. Confident stroke, and a couple of nice inside fade aways.

Loved the play and enthusiasm of all 4 freshmen, but Lander is going to be special. He has that innate ability to know what the proper basketball play is. He'll be a great facilitator for us. Like to see him shoot better and get a little stronger for the defensive end, but I was impressed.

Galloway is going to be one of those kids that other fan bases hate, but the ones who know basketball will appreciate. He has a nose for the ball and you can tell he's a tough kid.

I felt sorry for Leal. Wasn't in the game 2 minutes, takes a pass from Race and drains a 3 only to be negated by Race charging. Love his quick release. He needs to work with Galloway on that. Trey takes too long to gather himself for the shot. 

Someone else said it first, but Geronimo's impact will be on the defensive end first. When his offense catches up...whoa...I think we got a steal there.

Rob gave us a glimpse of what he can do when not dealing with an injury. Both he and Al had solid games.

TJD is TJD. We'll go as far as he leads us. Started rough, but you can see the improvements. 

And I saw a lot of smiling faces and kids having fun.  A lot more than in the past few years. I think there's something to all the talk about improved team chemistry...

I can't count the number of different line-ups that were on the floor last night. Must have been 15-20. That won't likely happen again all season. (not a complaint, just an observation) It was a chance for CAM to confirm/evaluate the guys in a real game vs practice.

I project we're gonna be pretty darn good. Maybe not next week, but come conf time. Rotations will be more in line with talent, defensive lapses will be shored up, and some of the freshman will get more comfortable.

Barring injury....Rob & Jerome will be terrific, along with Trayce.

Archived