Tennessee Tech Postgame Thread

KDB

7 hours ago, madmax said:

Galloway has a negative plus/minus effectively showing how worthless of a stat it is.

I disagree that it is a worthless stat.  Can it be influenced by who you are on the floor with?  Certainly.  But, it also reflects things that otherwise don't show up in the box score.  For example, Galloway's half court defense was below average.  If his defense would have been above average, or even just average, his box plus/minus would have been positive.  

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My takeaway: I thought it was hilarious and awesome that CAM has been pleading with his teams the last 3 years to push the ball down the court and then these Freshman come in and it looks like they were born to do exactly that. Gallaway and Lander were always pushing the ball and putting pressure on the defense. And then the ‘Indiana Elite’ team gets on the floor with TJD and Geronimo and we see the ball movement that we’ve all been desperately waiting for. These freshman still need to develop, but this core group looks special. 

7 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

False, addition by subtraction. All I need to say. 

You can say it all you want it all you want. Different players same issues.  

We can’t hit 3 pointers or free throws Big Ten teams will be able to use that to beat us.  The fact the 316th ranked team in the country couldn’t isn’t a sign of anything. 

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I disagree that it is a worthless stat.  Can it be influenced by who you are on the floor with?  Certainly.  But, it also reflects things that otherwise don't show up in the box score.  For example, Galloway's half court defense was below average.  If his defense would have been above average, or even just average, his box plus/minus would have been positive.  

I guess it's not worthless per say, but its completely unreliable at best and thrown around frequently as a metric of a players overall performance when often it really isn't.

6 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Ok, sometimes I get the impression people just look for the negative and then pull up a box score to look for what they think they can critique. 

Complaints about shooting? 
Let’s see, Hunter and Rob both looked great - not just ok, they looked great shooting. Hunter was 4-6 overall (showing a strong inside game including a hook shot) and 1-2 from deep, and Rob hit 2-3 from deep and 5-8 FG’s. The team low outside percentage came because Al didn’t shoot well tonight (1-5) - and we know he shot 38 percent from last year so hello he can shoot, and Lander, in his first college game and no exhibition etc (1-4). Leal shot 0-2 and he comes out of HS as a shooter — it’s his first game.

So complaining about shooting?? Really? Let me repeat, Hunter and Rob looked great, that’s the takeaway, not made up bad shooting. 

Thete was a lot of encouraging stuff. Maybe listen to the announcers, you know Hummel, who knows a bit about college ball, repeatedly commenting how we looked like a really good team. Golly. 

- The frosh showed real promise. Galloway is really good downhill. And the team is playing downhill, fast breaking, so he will have lots of opportunity to shine. He got lost on D a few times and his outside shot / release is slow and didn’t look there tonight (though agsin just the first game), he has stuff to work on, but he looked really confident and ready, 13 points out of the gate. 
- Geronimo’s D is ahead of his O, at least on this first game, much like Vic. But you can see the havoc he can cause, he Was  altering shots well. 
- Lander looks great coming up the floor and when he gets it going with TJD that is going to be special. His outside shot wasn’t falling but his form  is good. I’d bet on him starting soon. 
- Race looked good, he wasn’t forcing it just looked to be taking what the game gave him. He plays well with TJD. 
- Al was clearly solid and yeah, best plus - minus, reflecting that. He just wasn’t hitting from deep. Had a beautiful full court drive to the rim, flew down the court. 
- TJD with 26 with like 7 minutes still to play. That’s despite early misses at the rim which we all know are unusual for him — he’s going to kill it this year. 
- back to Hunter, dude looked like a Smooth baller. Strong inside play, 2 steals, smooth looking deep shot. Played off the bench because we’re starting 3 guards, but 21 minutes, and started second half.

what, 22 assists and just 8 TO’s in the team’s first game, when they’re playing fast, getting out repeatedly on the break, pushing the ball even in the half court, and people complain?? Really??

Encouraging. We’re going to be pretty good this year 

So basically if we ignore all the missed shots we are shooting just fine?

We were playing a terrible team and aside from a 10 minute stretch we displayed the exact same problems that Archies teams have been known for   Which is also typical Archie   Play good for stretches but then play terrible for stretches   

There’s only one Crean recruit left but I’m sure it’s his fault somehow 

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

You can say it all you want it all you want. Different players same issues.  

We can’t hit 3 pointers or free throws Big Ten teams will be able to use that to beat us.  The fact the 316th ranked team in the country couldn’t isn’t a sign of anything. 

The guys who we're counting on to be 3 point shooters for us (Rob, Al, Hunter) were 4-10...and that's with one of them going 1-5. I'll take 40% any day. And the freshmen were 1-8. First game in college, and I think they'll improve on that over time...

And I'm sure we'll shoot FTs better...Al (0-2) was an 80% FT shooter last year and Trace was close to 70%...He started finding the mark after the first 4 or so...

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

We were playing a terrible team and aside from a 10 minute stretch we displayed the exact same problems that Archies teams have been known for   Which is also typical Archie   Play good for stretches but then play terrible for stretches   

No. Either you didn’t watch the game, or you just like to complain. 
It’s you ignoring the obvious. What you call all the missed shots came from 2 guys - Al’s 1-5 ( and we know he can shoot, that’s aberrational, that’s the point), and Lander’s 1-4, and it was his first game and who knows as to his shooting. So ignore Rob’s clearly improved shot And Hunter’s strong game so you can sell your snake oil? Come on.

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The guys who we're counting on to be 3 point shooters for us (Rob, Al, Hunter) were 4-10...and that's with one of them going 1-5. I'll take 40% any day. And the freshmen were 1-8. First game in college, and I think they'll improve on that over time...

And I'm sure we'll shoot FTs better...Al (0-2) was an 80% FT shooter last year and Trace was close to 70%...He started finding the mark after the first 4 or so...

People have the said the last 3 years that they are sure we will shoot FTs better.  That isn’t proof it will happen because it’s never happened 

9 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

No. Either you didn’t watch the game, or you just like to complain. 
It’s you ignoring the obvious. What you call all the missed shots came from 2 guys - Al’s 1-5 ( and we know he can shoot, that’s aberrational, that’s the point), and Lander’s 1-4, and it was his first game and who knows as to his shooting. So ignore Rob’s clearly improved shot And Hunter’s strong game so you can sell your snake oil? Come on.

I keep being told I’m negative but then my complaining and negativity are oddly right on point when the big ten season falls apart. 

Am I negative or just refusing to overlook concerns?   

This team can not do basic fundamentals of basketball.  We played the 316th ranked team in the country.  And we trailed at one point in the game.  The big ten is going to eat us alive 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

This team can not do basic fundamentals of basketball.  We played the 316th ranked team in the country.  And we trailed at one point in the game.  The big ten is going to eat us alive 

I asked last week if you were trolling.  

Are you?

Read the comment above.  Ignore the 30-2 run.  4 or 5 of the turnovers came in the first 8 minutes.  Meaning the last 3 occurred over 32 minutes of play.  Your translation is this team can't do the basic fundamentals of basketball.

I think in 10 years I've blocked one person. 

Anyone else smell a troll?

I think it’s hard to say we are much improved or nothing has improved after 1 game. As I posted earlier, I think we played much more under control. I love having another ball handler in Lander. And our freshman’s shooting will probably find a level point better than 13% from 3. But to brass cannons point, some of the same issues we saw last year(or 3) are what I picked out watching some of the game too early on. Same tendencies, but I guess that’s Archie’s offense and it got better as it went on.  Also the Big ten is stacked. I don’t think is being negative or not watchin the game, but imo we are gonna be 6-9 place or so in big this year. It’s gonna be rough. We will prob win a couple and lose a couple we shouldn’t on each side. Also, one game in mind you, I watched 7 games yesterday of ranked teams and only a couple of them I said “ wow they are gonna be tough to beat”. I think there’s gonna be a lot of good teams again this year and nobody is gonna be easy who isn’t a cupcake. Should be an interesting year. After Maui we will know a lot more about our team. 

Hell arkansas scored 142( smith didn’t attempt a 3)and Illinois scored 122. Arkansas was 20-40 from 3 and Illinois hit 17. Making your threes makes a big difference in how your offense “looks”. 

23 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I asked last week if you were trolling.  

Are you?

Read the comment above.  Ignore the 30-2 run.  4 or 5 of the turnovers came in the first 8 minutes.  Meaning the last 3 occurred over 32 minutes of play.  Your translation is this team can't do the basic fundamentals of basketball.

I think in 10 years I've blocked one person. 

Anyone else smell a troll?

“Ahh an opinion I disagree with must be a troll”

One run doesn’t mean crap. This was the 316th ranked team.  Those game should have been us imposing our will.  1 good run and then struggling is basically Archies playbook. 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

For those who haven't watched the clip, CAM's focus on continuing to get better to play to the team's strengths, rebounding and taking care of the ball -- to get out in transition -- free throws and overall 3-point shooting. Talked about how they've been working a lot on free throws (this should be a given but when we shoot poorly from the stripe you often hear they need to work on that, they are), whether it's first game jitters or rust or both the FT shooting was obviously poor, would expect that to improve -- he didn't say this, but one thing is really clear to me, TJD is going to live at the line, and just his improving his FT shooting will win this team games. 

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

My takeaway: I thought it was hilarious and awesome that CAM has been pleading with his teams the last 3 years to push the ball down the court and then these Freshman come in and it looks like they were born to do exactly that. Gallaway and Lander were always pushing the ball and putting pressure on the defense. And then the ‘Indiana Elite’ team gets on the floor with TJD and Geronimo and we see the ball movement that we’ve all been desperately waiting for. These freshman still need to develop, but this core group looks special. 

My thoughts exactly. Add Leal into that conversation also- he didn’t stuff the staff sheet but looked more comfortable on the floor than anyone IMO 

14 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

One run doesn’t mean crap. This was the 316th ranked team.  Those game should have been us imposing our will.  1 good run and then struggling is basically Archies playbook. 

You're getting push back because all you're doing is ignoring the obvious in order to complain. And when you can't acknowledge something, you lose credibility. You're losing credibility. You haven't acknowledged the obvious strong shooting from Rob -- which is a significant development -- or Hunter's obviously very strong all-around game including shooting, picking right up where he left off at 40-plus percent shooting in the ending stretch from last year, or anything else positive. All you've done is throw things out like the team can't shoot, which is frankly ridiculous, and now "Archie's playbook" is one good run and then struggling. Dude, you're just killing your credibility. Those points are not just wrong, they're silly.

9 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Free throw shooting, sure, but aside from that I guess we watched different games. 

We had a nearly 3:1 ATO, that's not like years past. 

We held the other team to 40% from the field, forced a lot of turnovers, and defended without fouling. That seems pretty good. 

We moved the ball well on offense and got the kind of looks we wanted. Is that what you've said about Archie's offense in the past?

At times yes. But it doesn’t matter if you get the look you want if you can’t hit the shot. The defense is only going to get better we face. Literally this is probably the worst D we will face.  

This was yet another example of not playing a complete game something we have seen for years. Against big ten competition. You have to play 40 minutes

This should be an opponent where every you dominate from end to end without trying.  

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Absolutely. The combo of Al Rob and Armaan looked horrendous operating around the perimeter.

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

You're getting push back because all you're doing is ignoring the obvious in order to complain. And when you can't acknowledge something, you lose credibility. You're losing credibility. You haven't acknowledged the obvious strong shooting from Rob -- which is a significant development -- or Hunter's obviously very strong all-around game including shooting, picking right up where he left off at 40-plus percent shooting in the ending stretch from last year, or anything else positive. All you've done is throw things out like the team can't shoot, which is frankly ridiculous, and now "Archie's playbook" is one good run and then struggling. Dude, you're just killing your credibility. Those points are not just wrong, they're silly.

I’m not ignoring anything. Playing the 316th ranked team everything should look good.  The fact aspects of our game looked good against them should be a given.  

The fact we looked horrible in some aspects is deeply concerning. 

We didn’t look good against UC Davis two years ago and everybody said it didn’t mean anything. Yet it did. 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

I’m not ignoring anything. Playing the 316th ranked team everything should look good.  The fact aspects of our game looked good against them should be a given.  

The fact we looked horrible in some aspects is deeply concerning. 

We didn’t look good against UC Davis two years ago and everybody said it didn’t mean anything. Yet it did. 

Yes you are, as is obvious to everyone reading your posts. Who cares what the team was ranked? No one expected a tough game, what people who actually care are doing is evaluating how guys played, for plusses and minuses. All you do is bitch and complain. Still haven't acknowledged Rob's shooting, Hunter's shooting and play, Galloway's strong transition game on full display, that Al, who shot poorly at 1-5 is atypical for him (and CAM recently called him the most consistently good  shooter because, you know, he is) and that he otherwise had a strong game, because you know, he did. You can't or won't acknowledge any of that because then you couldn't bitch and moan. 

Didn't see the game, but listened to Fisch on the radio so I had little to add.  The thoughts I had have already been covered anyway.

It's the first game, under unusual circumstances, so I'm not going to get too excitef or concerned at this time. 

My only gripe was the #&$&%# bacon commercials on the radio broadcast - basically a pep rally for purdue.  What's up with that nonsense?

25 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

So, why bother to watch?  If it's the same bad movie with a bad director, bad actors, lousy storyline... then geez guy, turn it off...or turn to another channel.  Why torture yourself??  Or is it that you enjoy being critical?

5 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yes you are, as is obvious to everyone reading your posts. Who cares what the team was ranked? No one expected a tough game, what people who actually care are doing is evaluating how guys played, for plusses and minuses. All you do is bitch and complain. Still haven't acknowledged Rob's shooting, Hunter's shooting and play, Galloway's strong transition game on full display, that Al, who shot poorly at 1-5 is atypical for him (and CAM recently called him the most consistently good  shooter because, you know, he is) and that he otherwise had a strong game, because you know, he did. You can't or won't acknowledge any of that because then you couldn't bitch and moan. 

So what if a few people shot well?  This is a team sport. 

You wanna talk ignoring stuff

Let’s talk about the last 3 years we have struggled shooting/scoring against cupcakes. And the issue didn’t work itself out. It was on full display in the big ten season. 

Archived