Tennessee Tech Postgame Thread

KDB

7 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

just based off what i saw (1st half), i would agree, but i don't think that will be our best lineup.  that would be my first team in today's practice though.  someone llwould have to step up in practice and clearly take a spot from someone else or they would start the next game.

Rob, Al, Hunter, Race, TJD -- Lander first off the bench, kid is flat out tremendous and will start at some point when he has the college game speed down on both ends. Galloway was outstanding in transition -- finishes as well as anyone at speed -- but struggled defensively and in contributing in rebounding, and his outside shot release is slow (at least in this limited look of a first game). He won't start at this point and shouldn't, but he is really good and when he adds strength, grows his D at college speed and gets on the glass enough for CAM, he will.

Edit -- this is what I'd do but probably not what CAM will do if he sticks with having 3 guards. This was the second half strong unit though. 

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yes, Hunter came in to start the 2nd

thanks.  admittedly i only saw the first half and certainly means something that this was their first game in a long long time.  the fact that TT makes it tough to argue that we should have looked better or we played down to our competition?  anyway, it seems we'll struggle just as much shooting wise as last year.  that makes everything tough.  not sure why we would expect to be much better than last year.  that said TJD is a stud.  i will agree that the young bloods looked encouraging.  i will also agree that we are deep and should be able to run like crazy without getting tired.  other than that, RP still doesn't look as good as his freshman year.  Al looks like Al.  Race and Hunter don't look like the studs that many thought they would be this year.  Lander doesn't look as ready as i thought/hoped.  Geronimo may be crazy athletic, but nowhere near ready.  definitely not a fan of Franklin starting and getting starter minutes.  so... now for all of the happy happy joy guys getting ready to attack me... yes, i get that it was the first game... i get that i'm basing that off one half.  i admit that many of those things can change over the next month or so.  i am just skeptical.  i see us being right about where we were last year.  that's not terrible, but it's not where i hope IU bball will be.

Just watched the game for a 2nd time this morning. Some observations:

• Only Rob & Trayce consistently blocked out their man on defensive rebounds. Usually on 2 guys went for the rebound, instead of 3-4.
  • Rob continues to show really good on-ball defense. 
  • In the first half I saw more screens set, than all of last year.
  • Ball movement was much improved, especially by the Freshman and Al.
  • Didn't appear to be any communication for an oncoming ball screen to our defender
  • We got a lot of open looks, just couldn't hit them. Freshman seemed "nervous quick" on their shots.
  • Geronimo played decent defense and hustled. Made some nice plays that won't show up on stat sheet, like a seal off that allowed Trey to drive to basket for a dunk.
  • We didn't get hardly any 50/50 balls. Maybe 2-3 all night.
  • Rob only played 24 minutes last night. I suspect he'll average well over 30 going forward.

Considering the "rust" that has accumulated over the past 7+ months, I liked the energy, pace and team play that I saw in this game. Should only get better.

Next week will be a big test.

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

thanks.  admittedly i only saw the first half and certainly means something that this was their first game in a long long time.  the fact that TT makes it tough to argue that we should have looked better or we played down to our competition?  anyway, it seems we'll struggle just as much shooting wise as last year.  that makes everything tough.  not sure why we would expect to be much better than last year.  that said TJD is a stud.  i will agree that the young bloods looked encouraging.  i will also agree that we are deep and should be able to run like crazy without getting tired.  other than that, RP still doesn't look as good as his freshman year.  Al looks like Al.  Race and Hunter don't look like the studs that many thought they would be this year.  Lander doesn't look as ready as i thought/hoped.  Geronimo may be crazy athletic, but nowhere near ready.  definitely not a fan of Franklin starting and getting starter minutes.  so... now for all of the happy happy joy guys getting ready to attack me... yes, i get that it was the first game... i get that i'm basing that off one half.  i admit that many of those things can change over the next month or so.  i am just skeptical.  i see us being right about where we were last year.  that's not terrible, but it's not where i hope IU bball will be.

Im just not sure how you draw those conclusions. Really. Rob showed strong outside and overall shooting -- clearly improved. Hunter played an excellent all around game on both ends and was 4-6 with a smooth shot and an inside game that he didn't show last year. Maybe your not watching the full game impacted what you saw. As covered above, the only "poor shooting" was Al's 1-5, which is atypical, he shot 38% last year and has improved each year, Lander's 1-4, and it's his first game and you really can't draw conclusions from 4 shots anyway, we don't know how well he'll shoot, and Leal's 0-2, and if you follow Indiana high school ball you should know he's an outstanding outside shooter. It's not "happy happy joy guys" it's guys who watched the game and saw what was pretty clear. Agree that Franklin looked a bit lost and that starting lineup did not click, at least in this first game. Strongly disagree, as contrary to what actually happened on the floor, to your thoughts on Hunter and Rob. Way off man.

15 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Rob, Al, Hunter, Race, TJD -- Lander first off the bench, kid is flat out tremendous and will start at some point when he has the college game speed down on both ends. Galloway was outstanding in transition -- finishes as well as anyone at speed -- but struggled defensively and in contributing in rebounding, and his outside shot release is slow (at least in this limited look of a first game). He won't start at this point and shouldn't, but he is really good and when he adds strength, grows his D at college speed and gets on the glass enough for CAM, he will.

Edit -- this is what I'd do but probably not what CAM will do if he sticks with having 3 guards. This was the second half strong unit though. 

I agree with your starters. In the game thread I had the same lineup but with Galloway in over Al. Maybe Trey works in a fast paced game but against better competition, in a half court offense, I like this group. Also provides nice balance with Lander, Galloway, Franklin, Geronimo and Brunk as backups. Our starters have to be threats to score in double figures. Rob and Al need to step up and consistently show they can do that against good competition.

I would add that 1 game is a rather small sample to declare that Rob has clearly improved his shooting. He had good games last year. Let's see if he can maintain it for the next 5 games. 

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

People have the said the last 3 years that they are sure we will shoot FTs better.  That isn’t proof it will happen because it’s never happened 

I keep being told I’m negative but then my complaining and negativity are oddly right on point when the big ten season falls apart. 

Am I negative or just refusing to overlook concerns?   

This team can not do basic fundamentals of basketball.  We played the 316th ranked team in the country.  And we trailed at one point in the game.  The big ten is going to eat us alive 

i hear you my man.  people get mad at me and tell me not to watch.  i'll always love IU bball and support them.  i just speak my opinion and i'm not often positive when we play below average ball.  

don't get me wrong...i think we have a lot of exciting players.  i am excited to watch the Hoosiers as always.  i certainly don't think we'll be bad this year.  i'm just afraid we won't be much better than last year.  of course i hope i'm wrong and you guys an all tell me you told me so.  i'll be good with that.  again, just one game and rust should be expected, but we did shoot 5-19 from 3 and 10-22 from FT.  those are concerns.  as Scott and others pointed out, 22 assists to 8 TOs is nice in our first game while playing at a fast pace.  

i hope we run more and more all season.  fast tempo and easy baskets needs to be our staple and i would think we can do that.  i am generally not big on subbing a lot, but with this team i would be good playing 10 guys good minutes if we're pushing it hard all game long.  obviously TJD is the one guy who needs to play huge minutes.  other than that, i'm not so sure.

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

You would hope that work was done in the offseason.  I think that gets harder to do in season.

If you listened to Archie's press conference you would know they worked on free throw shooting all off season. To me there is just so much a coach can do so it is up to the players to go in on their own to work on free throws.

Just now, IU Scott said:

If you listened to Archie's press conference you would know they worked on free throw shooting all off season. To me there is just so much a coach can do so it is up to the players to go in on their own to work on free throws.

Scott!  we agree on something... i have heard so many different theories from so many different coaches about FT shooting and practice.  you can only spend so much time in practice on that as a coach.  your players have to put in time on their own.  it also doesn't always translate from practice to games.  sometimes you shoot pressure FTs in practice and mak all of your goals and then go into the game and shoot terrible.  it's a tricky thing.

So, what was Tennessee Tech’s national ranking?🙄

Anyone else just thankful that we have a group of healthy kids who were able to entertain us last night and win a game in this crazy, pandemic world?

I can’t imagine waking up on Thanksgiving morning with the objective of bitching about one basketball game.

Perspective... missing with some, imo.

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Scott!  we agree on something... i have heard so many different theories from so many different coaches about FT shooting and practice.  you can only spend so much time in practice on that as a coach.  your players have to put in time on their own.  it also doesn't always translate from practice to games.  sometimes you shoot pressure FTs in practice and mak all of your goals and then go into the game and shoot terrible.  it's a tricky thing.

From my perspective, they were missing long or short.  Good news it wasn't right or left.  Usually, that could be fatigue or not getting a great balance do to rushing.  Trayce's first freethrows shouldnt of been because of fatigue, but it seemed like he had to get into a flow.

Hopefully, this is a first game jitters, not playing infront of a crowd.  This is the first team in years that has high expectations, they are probably feeling it.  Not having a crowd is a whole different focus.  One game done, improve and make adjustments and go from there.

It's the defense that worried me.  Too many open shots (maybe by design)....way to many open lanes and drive for points in the second half.

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So, what was Tennessee Tech’s national ranking?🙄

Anyone else just thankful that we have a group of healthy kids who were able to entertain us last night and win a game in this crazy, pandemic world?

I can’t imagine waking up on Thanksgiving morning with the objective of bitching about one basketball game.

Perspective... missing with some, imo.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Its fun to talk basketball.  When my kids are laser focused on holiday movies....why not talk IU hoops?  In Illinois, we can't play....but, having IU hoops back is a bright spot.  Still can chat it up.  For me the most fun is to discuss x's and o's and learn from each other.

I thought it is time for me to stop coming to message boards so much because some can be so depressing.  I know in the past there were fans who complained but social media just brings them out every where.  It is just so much harder to be a fan and actually enjoy being a fan.  All the negative whining over one game where we won by 30 and it could have been a lot more.  I just think some had never played the game and realize it is human nature to let up when you are winning by 36.

We score 89 points on 56 percent shooting and had 22 assist to 8 turnovers and yet that is not good enough.  Yes there are things to improve but it was just the first game and in the most unusual season in history.

4 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Its fun to talk basketball.  When my kids are laser focused on holiday movies....why not talk IU hoops?  In Illinois, we can't play....but, having IU hoops back is a bright spot.  Still can chat it up.  For me the most fun is to discuss x's and o's and learn from each other.

Missed the entire point of my post 

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

Missed the entire point of my post 

I wasn't reacting necessarily to your post, just replied at that time.  Just saying and maybe this is meant for others, I think it is okay to discuss the negatives of the game and not just the positives.  Otherwise, how do you have a basketball discussion?  Yes, if it is not objective, then it is probably unwarranted.  

Again, chained the wrong post.

Illinois won big, but they played a team that only had 2 practices in 47 days !! And it was not a run away until the 2nd half, when other team ran out of gas and went cold.

No doubt IL is good. We'll have our hands full, but Iowa looked beatable even though ranked 5th. MSU looks out of sync.

If we can correct some of the defensive issues, FT, and improve 3 pt, we should be right there in the end.

@Brass Cannon, I recommend educating your self about the '80-'81 Hoosiers.  7-5 record entering Big Ten play, but ended up obliterating the field in the NCAA tournament.  Teams grow and get better as the season progresses.  No one is saying that last night's game was perfect.  But, there were a lot of encouraging signs.  A lot. 

If you can't find those, you're not trying.  And, with that approach, you probably would have written off the '80-'81 team when they lost to Pan American (now known as Rio Grand Valley).

1980-81 Indiana Hoosiers Schedule and Results | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)

Archived