Tennessee Tech Postgame Thread

KDB

55 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Wait, actual analysis, and recognition of the demonstrated strengths, and weaknesses?

You could’ve just posted we can’t shoot, same as last year. 😄

as a coach for 30 years i could give my analysis as well, but don't really see why anyone would care.  i don't know if this was aimed at my negativism for one, but i personally do see demonstrated strengths and weaknesses.  a lot of people just seem to get upset when i or anyone else point out the negatives.  it's hard for me to get that.  just because we think there are weaknesses doesn't mean we aren't still fans who love the Hoosiers.  right?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

as a coach for 30 years i could give my analysis as well, but don't really see why anyone would care.  i don't know if this was aimed at my negativism for one, but i personally do see demonstrated strengths and weaknesses.  a lot of people just seem to get upset when i or anyone else point out the negatives.  it's hard for me to get that.  just because we think there are weaknesses doesn't mean we aren't still fans who love the Hoosiers.  right?

Ok. My post was not directed specifically at you. I don’t play passive aggression. I already responded to you directly. 
Neither I nor anyone else on here that I see has any problem with fair criticism, and the post above includes criticism, of perceived weaknesses. Right? 
But the oh no see, look at our 3-point shooting,  is just empty, flawed criticism. As already pointed out several times, the only reason our 3-point percentage as a team was down in this game was because Al shot 1-5, and he’s a 38 percent outside shooter so that’s obviously atypical and NOT a reasonable criticism, and Lander shot 1-4, and we really can’t draw any conclusion from his 4 shots in his first game. Again, Rob’s and Hunter’s shooting looked good, so why ignore that? That is actually significant.

As a coach, why don’t you give that kind of analysis? Why do you think no one would care, pretty much everyone here does. While you are trying to frame this as some kind of lack of appreciation of negativity, that’s just not it at all. You followed your first post with saying I hear you man to the dude who was posting pure drivel, ad recognized by everyone. It ain’t about negativity man, it’s the silly, empty, stuff by some guy who clearly has no appreciation for actual game sets, or any recognition of improvement, and just wanted to get on here to post empty complaints. As a coach, why not recognize the kind of things recognized above. They’re clear, and real. 

On 11/25/2020 at 11:11 PM, Hoosierhoopster said:

Ok, sometimes I get the impression people just look for the negative and then pull up a box score to look for what they think they can critique. 

Complaints about shooting? 
Let’s see, Hunter and Rob both looked great - not just ok, they looked great shooting. Hunter was 4-6 overall (showing a strong inside game including a hook shot) and 1-2 from deep, and Rob hit 2-3 from deep and 5-8 FG’s. The team low outside percentage came because Al didn’t shoot well tonight (1-5) - and we know he shot 38 percent from last year so hello he can shoot, and Lander, in his first college game and no exhibition etc (1-4). Leal shot 0-2 and he comes out of HS as a shooter — it’s his first game.

So complaining about shooting?? Really? Let me repeat, Hunter and Rob looked great, that’s the takeaway, not made up bad shooting. 

Thete was a lot of encouraging stuff. Maybe listen to the announcers, you know Hummel, who knows a bit about college ball, repeatedly commenting how we looked like a really good team. Golly. 

- The frosh showed real promise. Galloway is really good downhill. And the team is playing downhill, fast breaking, so he will have lots of opportunity to shine. He got lost on D a few times and his outside shot / release is slow and didn’t look there tonight (though agsin just the first game), he has stuff to work on, but he looked really confident and ready, 13 points out of the gate. 
- Geronimo’s D is ahead of his O, at least on this first game, much like Vic. But you can see the havoc he can cause, he Was  altering shots well. 
- Lander looks great coming up the floor and when he gets it going with TJD that is going to be special. His outside shot wasn’t falling but his form  is good. I’d bet on him starting soon. 
- Race looked good, he wasn’t forcing it just looked to be taking what the game gave him. He plays well with TJD. 
- Al was clearly solid and yeah, best plus - minus, reflecting that. He just wasn’t hitting from deep. Had a beautiful full court drive to the rim, flew down the court. 
- TJD with 26 with like 7 minutes still to play. That’s despite early misses at the rim which we all know are unusual for him — he’s going to kill it this year. 
- back to Hunter, dude looked like a Smooth baller. Strong inside play, 2 steals, smooth looking deep shot. Played off the bench because we’re starting 3 guards, but 21 minutes, and started second half.

what, 22 assists and just 8 TO’s in the team’s first game, when they’re playing fast, getting out repeatedly on the break, pushing the ball even in the half court, and people complain?? Really??

Encouraging. We’re going to be pretty good this year 

I agree.  I would like to see Leal get off the bench earlier so he can get his head in the game and build up confidence.  If he is destined to be one of our better outside shooters, let him play himself into it.  The other FR all had some good moments.  Can Galloway make/get his own shot or is he just good doing what he did in this game?  Geronimo looks like a good defender and a physical presence.  Lander will be a stud and also seems to be defensive minded.  TJD is a stud, and both Hunter and Rob looked great.  The middle will be stronger with Brunk back and I like for Race to be the 6th man who can come in and turn the game around.  He is more athletic than Brunk, but tends to foul too much.  The biggest question I have is why Archie has this fascination with Franklin.  He's OK, but why is he starting over Lander?  Let Lander play the SG or switch back and forth with Rob.  Both Durham and Franklin can sub in and hold the fort, but this team will not get to the next level with those two playing more minutes than the newer guys.

1 minute ago, IU878176 said:

I’d prefer that to apathy setting in.

Overaction is as bad.  It is funny that as fans who probably are middle age come on here to complain on how someone else coaches or how a kid played in a game.  We are sitting on out butts probably eating and drinking while those people are the ones that actually have anything ay stake in the game.

This is not a knock, because you can only play who is scheduled, but I don’t think we learned a whole lot against a TT team that was missing 2 of their top 3 returnees. Last year there were a lot of excited posts when Damezi had a good game against, I think, Troy. Performing against better athletes that can close out quicker etc is a totally different ball game. 

That being said...The 4 or so minutes when the 4 freshman played with Race(then TJD) was one of the most fun to watch few minute spurts of the last few years. Loved how they attacked the game and played well together.

I have no idea how good we will be, based on that game, but we will have a really good idea in the next few weeks after playing Providence, Texas (hopefully), UNC (hopefully), FSU and Illinois.

EDIT: TJD...thanks again for going to IU!

1 hour ago, IU878176 said:

This is not a knock, because you can only play who is scheduled, but I don’t think we learned a whole lot against a TT team that was missing 2 of their top 3 returnees. Last year there were a lot of excited posts when Damezi had a good game against, I think, Troy. Performing against better athletes that can close out quicker etc is a totally different ball game. 

That being said...The 7 or so minutes when the 4 freshman played with TJD was one of the most fun to watch 7 minute spurts of the last few years. Loved how they attacked the game and played well together.

I have no idea how good we will be, based on that game, but we will have a really good idea in the next few weeks after playing Providence, Texas (hopefully), UNC (hopefully), FSU and Illinois.

EDIT: TJD...thanks again for going to IU!

Honestly there wasn’t anything about the opponent to worry about or use a measuring stick, that wasn’t the point. The point was who played what and with who, what sets we ran, who performed well within the sets, who showed improvement, etc. several of those boxes showed reason for optimism 

34 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Honestly there wasn’t anything about the opponent to worry about or use a measuring stick, that wasn’t the point. The point was who played what and with who, what sets we ran, who performed well within the sets, who showed improvement, etc. several of those boxes showed reason for optimism 

I agree, and enjoyed watching some of the things you mention unfold, but still say we will see once we play better teams.
Will players still play well in certain sets against better competition, as an example. Hope so, maybe, we will see.  I’m not being negative, as I really liked seeing the freshmen among other things, but we will find out soon enough.

Someone mentioned it earlier, but this team seems to be pretty balanced and versatile - like 2002.  Where IU will attack offensively will vary each game.  There will be games TJD, Race, Brunk, and maybe Hunter will get a lot of points in the paint.  

If Lander and Rob are getting open looks, along with Al, the shooting will be solid.   

Playing inside-out and having legit scoring threats on the perimeter will be fun to watch - like 2002 or DJ White / Eric Gordon.    A healthy Rob, Lander, and no Justin on offense are massive upgrades  

40 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

I agree, and enjoyed watching some of the things you mention unfold, but still say we will see once we play better teams.
Will players still play well in certain sets against better competition, as an example. Hope so, maybe, we will see.  I’m not being negative, as I really liked seeing the freshmen among other things, but we will find out soon enough.

Yep the competition will only keep getting better, and how well they will execute will be tested - that’s what it’s all about. I suspect there will be growing pains and we have a very difficult schedule coming, but I’m encouraged by the way certain guys are being played, the sets we’re now running, the improvement of Hunter and Rob, the promise of the frosh and the team’s overall balance.

Archived