'21-'22 National Hoops Scene

rico

22 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Texas produces a huge amount of basketball talent every year...for 2021 they have 5 of the top 100 kids...for 2022 they have 10 of the top 100 (according to 247)...3 5 stars and 7 4 stars...So they have the talent, it's just high school basketball here isn't a big deal like football is...

Carsen Edwards went to high school about 12 miles from where I live, and I never heard of him til he got to Purdue...

Yep...I had family in Texas...it is just a huge state and athletics are big there as anywhere else. Also why I’m not as crazy as some about just focusing on Recruiting local kids. I’ve lived in several states and with the evolution of youth sports and academies etc basketball isn’t just an Indiana thing...it’s blown up all over and with larger populations and more diverse populations in other states...Indiana is going to slip further and further down the list of most fertile recruiting grounds. I look at it like this....the state is basically a 3A HS compared to some of these other states like Texas and California and NY being more like a 5A. You might have a good year here and there but on average our state isn’t going to put out the best talent year after year anymore. No matter how good the programs are around here we are seeing other states programs catch up and surpass us. Just a fact. I mean look at Minnesota and all the talent coming out of there...never would have imagined that 20 years ago. Indiana kinda like IU is falling behind. Maybe there is a correlation to be made.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yep...I had family in Texas...it is just a huge state and athletics are big there as anywhere else. Also why I’m not as crazy as some about just focusing on Recruiting local kids. I’ve lived in several states and with the evolution of youth sports and academies etc basketball isn’t just an Indiana thing...it’s blown up all over and with larger populations and more diverse populations in other states...Indiana is going to slip further and further down the list of most fertile recruiting grounds. I look at it like this....the state is basically a 3A HS compared to some of these other states like Texas and California and NY being more like a 5A. You might have a good year here and there but on average our state isn’t going to put out the best talent year after year anymore. No matter how good the programs are around here we are seeing other states programs catch up and surpass us. Just a fact. I mean look at Minnesota and all the talent coming out of there...never would have imagined that 20 years ago. Indiana kinda like IU is falling behind. Maybe there is a correlation to be made.

Pretty sure per capita we're still putting out the most high level players but yeah we don't have superstar in the league at the moment.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I lived in Florida for 12 years (88-2000) and it ain't even close...Texas leads the nation in auto related deaths every year for a reason

Wow!! My time in Texas must not have been indicative lol! Slow moving vehicles even pulled to the shoulder and would wave you around to pass...that said the toll roads id see people driving 90-100 like it was normal lol.

Down here it is the old people...and New Yorkers that think Red means proceed through the light with caution if the guy ahead of you went.

Edited by dgambill

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Wow!! My time in Texas must not have been indicative lol! Slow moving vehicles even pulled to the shoulder and would wave you around to pass...that said the toll roads id see people driving 90-100 like it was normal lol.

Down here it is the old people...and New Yorkers that think Red means proceed through the light with caution if the guy ahead of you went.

Back when I was commuting the 23.4 miles from my house to work, it was crazy...Dualies driving like they were Ferraris...I was pretty much the only car on the road at 5:30 AM...One morning a guy hauling lawn tractors hit a median and exploded...then 7 more people wrecked rubbernecking...took me 4 hours to get to work...

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I agree 100%.

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Back when I was commuting the 23.4 miles from my house to work, it was crazy...Dualies driving like they were Ferraris...I was pretty much the only car on the road at 5:30 AM...One morning a guy hauling lawn tractors hit a median and exploded...then 7 more people wrecked rubbernecking...took me 4 hours to get to work...

Yikes...down here you can’t go over 40 mph because of the traffic...and all the q-tips driving...well there are the occasional motorcycle drivers flying up on the shoulder and between lanes.

Speaking of old people why is it that they all need to be out at 7am when I’m commuting to work? I joke with coworkers when I retire I’m purposely going to get up every morning and drive down the busiest roads every morning going 20 waving at all the people going to work! Lol

Edited by dgambill
  • Haha 1

I'm trying to figure out why Virginia is so good...they really don't play withering defense like we see in the B1G...the ACC doesn't play as physical as our conference...

But I've been watching them for about 8 minutes now, and they haven't missed a shot...they haven't even hit the friggin rim...and they're all 3s...

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm trying to figure out why Virginia is so good...they really don't play withering defense like we see in the B1G...the ACC doesn't play as physical as our conference...

But I've been watching them for about 8 minutes now, and they haven't missed a shot...they haven't even hit the friggin rim...and they're all 3s...

Just turned it back on earlier and saw they have already scored 40 points in the second half in 12 minutes,  they sometimes have trouble scoring that in the game.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Just turned it back on earlier and saw they have already scored 40 points in the second half in 12 minutes,  they sometimes have trouble scoring that in the game.

They're 15-17 in the 2nd half...9-9 from 3...

Incredible...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Virgina doesn't play withering defense?