'21-'22 National Hoops Scene

rico

8 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Bouncing around between other National games on right now and I don’t think any of these teams look all that great. I really think IU stacks up and could beat most of the teams playing on tv right now which gives me a glimmer of hope for the future. 

I'm going to make some generalizations, but I feel like some of the hardcore anti-Archie posters come off as having IU tunnel vision and haven't watched a lot of these other teams. I'm not saying IU is perfect or that Archie has been great. But especially offensively, if you watch the rest of college basketball, outside of a few teams (Iowa, Michigan, Gonzaga), offense and shooting is really bad in college basketball. It's not just an IU thing. 

@IU Scott is someone who has been vocal about this. He watches a ton of college basketball and pretty consistently has said what ailes IU ailes a lot of teams in college basketball. 

Again, this isn't meant to say Archie has done a great job and doesn't need to do better. But, there has been YOY improvement, albeit not as quickly as we'd like, and our issues are largely issues across college basketball. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm going to make some generalizations, but I feel like some of the hardcore anti-Archie posters come off as having IU tunnel vision and haven't watched a lot of these other teams. I'm not saying IU is perfect or that Archie has been great. But especially offensively, if you watch the rest of college basketball, outside of a few teams (Iowa, Michigan, Gonzaga), offense and shooting is really bad in college basketball. It's not just an IU thing. 

@IU Scott is someone who has been vocal about this. He watches a ton of college basketball and pretty consistently has said what ailes IU ailes a lot of teams in college basketball. 

Again, this isn't meant to say Archie has done a great job and doesn't need to do better. But, there has been YOY improvement, albeit not as quickly as we'd like, and our issues are largely issues across college basketball. 

To me if you are having trouble reaching 70 points in a game there is a huge offensive  problem in the game.  To me the problem is what I feel would help the offensive game will probably not happen.  You need to move the shot clock back to 45 seconds and move the 3 point line back in a little.  Also coaches need to stop micro managing everything and allow their players to play freely.  And for god sakes please stop the style of offense we see to much in the college game today.  I have noticed today a lot of the possessions ends with a forced 3 as the shot clock ends.  Also it seems like the players first instinct when getting the ball is to drive so they are not ready to shot when they get the ball.

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don’t think anyone could’ve said it better. I 100% agree with that. 

I also think the age/expectations thread revealed a lot for me. I’m only 27 so I never watched IU with Knight as our coach besides watching highlights and old games. I have watched a ton of college basketball from when I was younger and so my version of college ball is just different than most guys on this board. Gone are the days of legit NBA prospects staying 3-4 years in college like Tim Duncan, Ewing, Jordan, etc. and so I’m not clamoring nor expecting a team to look like a great team from the 70s or 80s. 

If we want instant results we need to get 5 stars and run our program like Duke or Kentucky. Most fans don’t want that because we like to play by the rules and get to know our players over a period of 3-4 seasons instead of recycling a new roster every year. I’m in favor of our get old stay old method, but we need to be patient and recognize that a plan like that will take longer to implement and get rolling, but could be much more sustainable (see Kentucky this year) and could allow this program to be a real thread in the big ten and in the tournament. This year’s team is much closer to being a fringe top 20-25 team than the wheels falling off. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

I don’t think anyone could’ve said it better. I 100% agree with that. 

I also think the age/expectations thread revealed a lot for me. I’m only 27 so I never watched IU with Knight as our coach besides watching highlights and old games. I have watched a ton of college basketball from when I was younger and so my version of college ball is just different than most guys on this board. Gone are the days of legit NBA prospects staying 3-4 years in college like Tim Duncan, Ewing, Jordan, etc. and so I’m not clamoring nor expecting a team to look like a great team from the 70s or 80s. 

If we want instant results we need to get 5 stars and run our program like Duke or Kentucky. Most fans don’t want that because we like to play by the rules and get to know our players over a period of 3-4 seasons instead of recycling a new roster every year. I’m in favor of our get old stay old method, but we need to be patient and recognize that a plan like that will take longer to implement and get rolling, but could be much more sustainable (see Kentucky this year) and could allow this program to be a real thread in the big ten and in the tournament. This year’s team is much closer to being a fringe top 20-25 team than the wheels falling off. 

I think the get old, stay old thing definitely takes time. Let's look at Archie's classes:

First class: Hard to really count this against him, he had no time to change it and wasn't allowed to clean house. Al is the only guy left, an incredibly flawed senior.

Second class: Came in behind the 8-ball here if we are all honest about it. Did a great job getting a guy like Romeo. Adding some great complimentary players like Race and Rob, but both have struggled with injuries. 

Third class: TJD is an anchor. Franklin appears to be an amazing get. Brunk was a really solid transfer in this class, but he is hurt.

Fourth class: Current freshman. I think we're all high on this class. 

It would take being intentionally dishonest about the situations within each of those classes to not see we are making progress and that getting old and staying old doesn't have promise over the next few years. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think the get old, stay old thing definitely takes time. Let's look at Archie's classes:

First class: Hard to really count this against him, he had no time to change it and wasn't allowed to clean house. Al is the only guy left, an incredibly flawed senior.

Second class: Came in behind the 8-ball here if we are all honest about it. Did a great job getting a guy like Romeo. Adding some great complimentary players like Race and Rob, but both have struggled with injuries. 

Third class: TJD is an anchor. Franklin appears to be an amazing get. Brunk was a really solid transfer in this class, but he is hurt.

Fourth class: Current freshman. I think we're all high on this class. 

It would take being intentionally dishonest about the situations within each of those classes to not see we are making progress and that getting old and staying old doesn't have promise over the next few years. 

Yep I agree. It’s a good sign when I think our current freshmen and sophomores will be better as seniors than our current seniors. That’s a trend I would love to see continue. I’m also really excited to see Parker Stewart play and for Duncomb to join the program.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 12:41 PM, bluegrassIU said:

Just saw Georgetown is 3-8!

This whole "hire a former great player" stuff almost never works out.

Penny Hardaway is not doing much better.

I keep banging that drum, but a lot of former players make poor coaches, especially if they had high levels of success as a player.  It's also positional...bigs are less successful as coaches than guards.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I keep banging that drum, but a lot of former players make poor coaches, especially if they had high levels of success as a player.  It's also positional...bigs are less successful as coaches than guards.

Hire the best candidate.  Simple.  In any sport.  Any team.  Don't hire an alum just because or a guy because of what color he is.  Hire the best candidate.    

• Like 3

I still don't get college coaches sometime.  Watching the Duke and UL game and both teams are in a good flow offensively.  So Mack calls a TO after they just hit a 3 and now has scored on 3 straight possessions.  by the way they have played less than 3 minutes in the second half.  So why would you take a TO that quickly and now you are in a good flow.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I still don't get college coaches sometime.  Watching the Duke and UL game and both teams are in a good flow offensively.  So Mack calls a TO after they just hit a 3 and now has scored on 3 straight possessions.  by the way they have played less than 3 minutes in the second half.  So why would you take a TO that quickly and now you are in a good flow.

I've never understood why college coaches call timeout so often right after they score? Why would you do that? 

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I've never understood why college coaches call timeout so often right after they score? Why would you do that? 

It's a huge new trend in HS ball around here that I don't get.  The logic is to stop them and set up your defense to get a stop.  I say it kills your positive momentum.  When we had crowds and they're going wild because you're on a run, then you call a timeout to stop momentum and set up your defense?  I disagree.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

It's a huge new trend in HS ball around here that I don't get.  The logic is to stop them and set up your defense to get a stop.  I say it kills your positive momentum.  When we had crowds and they're going wild because you're on a run, then you call a timeout to stop momentum and set up your defense?  I disagree.  

Yeah, and it seems like the opposition always scores right away out of that timeout. Makes no sense. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Well since called that TO they have cored 15 points in the last 12 minutes

40 minutes ago, BGleas said:

My high school used to have a coach who did this many years ago. He claimed it was to reiterate to his players that they had done something well. He took a lot of heat for doing it when we were playing in a heated rivalry game and had just scored to go up by 10 late in the third. We ended up scoring 6 points the rest of the game and losing by 2. 

• Like 1