'21-'22 National Hoops Scene

rico

52 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, and it seems like the opposition always scores right away out of that timeout. Makes no sense. 

Well it isn’t like they won’t draw up a play. If you can’t set up your own defense after a make and get back down there...well you got bigger problems then a timeout will fix.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I am wondering if anyone else has been doing this but I have found myself watching for players who would be a good transfer candidates

I love the idea, but seems like a complete stab in the dark to have any idea who we'd have interest in and who would be interested in us right?  I guess guys who we were one of the final 2 or 3 for coming out of high school?  It doesn't usually seem to work that way though.  

W. Virginia bear TT 88-87 on a shot with 6 seconds to go.  TT was up 12 with 10 minutes to go but couldn't hold it.

I know a lot of people criticized Archie for not extending the game by fouling with 45 seconds to go.  W. Virginia hit a shot to cut it to 1 with 49 seconds left and Huggins played it out and did not foul.  TT missed a 3 and then WVU hit the shot to win the game.

Edited by IU Scott

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

W. Virginia bear TT 88-87 on a shot with 6 seconds to go.  TT was up 12 with 10 minutes to go but couldn't hold it.

I know a lot of people criticized Archie for not extending the game by fouling with 45 seconds to go.  W. Virginia hit a shot to cut it to 1 with 49 seconds left and Huggins played it out and did not foul.  TT missed a 3 and then WVU hit the shot to win the game.

I don't disagree with those saying that extending the game against Rutgers could have been the way to go, but at the same time what Archie did worked. 

IU stopped Rutgers on the possession, the problem is the players didn't execute and allowed Rutgers to get the offensive rebound. Race, our 2nd best rebounder didn't get position to box out and our wing on that side didn't help him by pinching on Johnson. 

The plan worked, the players didn't execute. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't disagree with those saying that extending the game against Rutgers could have been the way to go, but at the same time what Archie did worked. 

IU stopped Rutgers on the possession, the problem is the players didn't execute and allowed Rutgers to get the offensive rebound. Race, our 2nd best rebounder didn't get position to box out and our wing on that side didn't help him by pinching on Johnson. 

The plan worked, the players didn't execute. 

This is what I have kept thinking, but not chimed in yet.  It worked and I think the odds were better that way honestly.  We just didn't rebound.    

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Here’s a stat from that game. WV was 12-19 from 3 (63%) and 16-27 FTs (59%).

Edited by 13th&Jackson
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

This is what I have kept thinking, but not chimed in yet.  It worked and I think the odds were better that way honestly.  We just didn't rebound.    

I'm not sure on the odds specifically, but it did work. We had a good defensive possession and forced them to miss a tough shot. But as all game long, Rutgers outworked and out-toughed our players and got the rebound. 

That wasn't a strategy/coaching failure. Could fouling have worked better? We don't know. But Archie's strategy worked until the players didn't do their job. 

10 minutes ago, rico said:

Ask UK or Duke this season.

Those can be explained by lack of experience. Freshmen having trouble acclimating to the college game as well as just making freshman mistakes. It's a risk that they make with their recruiting strategy. 

IU isn't lacking in that experience. Besides, this isn't a new issue under Miller. 

1 minute ago, go_iu_bb said:

Those can be explained by lack of experience. Freshmen having trouble acclimating to the college game as well as just making freshman mistakes. It's a risk that they make with their recruiting strategy. 

IU isn't lacking in that experience. Besides, this isn't a new issue under Miller. 

It all comes down to execution, freshman mistakes or not.