'21-'22 National Hoops Scene

rico

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just saw the score of the Baylor and Iowa St. game and with 4 to go the game is tied at 65.  I guess Baylor is having trouble coming back from their layoff since ISU is 0-13 in conference.

anyone remember when Steve Prohm was the hot mid-major name that all the major programs should consider hiring when they had an opening?

8 hours ago, mchenry34 said:

anyone remember when Steve Prohm was the hot mid-major name that all the major programs should consider hiring when they had an opening?

I’ve been to more Murray St games then I care to say. He was not Godfried, definitely not Cronin, or Kennedy good. You get a couple once in a lifetime nba talents back to back Isiah Cannon and Cameron Payne in a guard dominant league then it makes your job look a lot easier. Great guy..good coach but in over his head. It’s a tough leap because the competition is so much tougher. Unless you are out recruiting your suddenly playing with a disadvantage every night instead of a positive you’ve had. There are a lot more distractions and so many more ways to lose a game at big time level. Can you adapt...good coach but man it’s hard to win at Iowa St against the KU, Baylor, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, OSU...B1G 12 is a super tough league.

43 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’ve been to more Murray St games then I care to say. He was not Godfried, definitely not Cronin, or Kennedy good. You get a couple once in a lifetime nba talents back to back Isiah Cannon and Cameron Payne in a guard dominant league then it makes your job look a lot easier. Great guy..good coach but in over his head. It’s a tough leap because the competition is so much tougher. Unless you are out recruiting your suddenly playing with a disadvantage every night instead of a positive you’ve had. There are a lot more distractions and so many more ways to lose a game at big time level. Can you adapt...good coach but man it’s hard to win at Iowa St against the KU, Baylor, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, OSU...B1G 12 is a super tough league.

History is littered with guy like Prohm.  They have success at a small school and jump into the bigs.  Steve probably would have better served to move up to the A-10(or the like).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rico said:

History is littered with guy like Prohm.  They have success at a small school and jump into the bigs.  Steve probably would have better served to move up to the A-10(or the like).

Better off staying where he was. Beautiful small town. Just got married and I think was expecting his first kid. It’s a one big league but Murray and Belmont always battle it out and it’s easy school to recruit to and successful history. Everyone knew him and was super nice guy and well liked in the church etc. I think he was even making like a million per year. $$$ was too good to pass up though.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Better off staying where he was. Beautiful small town. Just got married and I think was expecting his first kid. It’s a one big league but Murray and Belmont always battle it out and it’s easy school to recruit to and successful history. Everyone knew him and was super nice guy and well liked in the church etc. I think he was even making like a million per year. $$$ was too good to pass up though.

Anytime something like this happens I always think Dan Monson and Gonzaga.  Left paradise for Minnesota.  Mark Few thanks him for that.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, rico said:

Anytime something like this happens I always think Dan Monson and Gonzaga.  Left paradise for Minnesota.  Mark Few thanks him for that.

Not that he would come here or probably anywhere else for that matter, but I wonder what it would take to get Few out of Spokane. 

7 minutes ago, IUskim said:

Not that he would come here or probably anywhere else for that matter, but I wonder what it would take to get Few out of Spokane. 

Just go watch the interview with Few on CBSsports and you will see why he is never leaving Gonzaga.  He had a huge house on a lake where him and his kids do a lot of water sports.  Also have a great view of some mountains which he loves.  He said he never left because he can win as much at Gonzaga than he can anywhere else.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, IUskim said:

LOL.  Why in the hell would he want to leave?  He gets paid well, enjoys living where he does, literally has no pressure on him...etc. etc.  

1 hour ago, rico said:

But he ended back in Paradise. Has been at Cal State Long Beach since 2007. He has an overall losing record at LB including losing seasons in 7 of the past 8. One NCAAT appearance. Last conference title was 2013. Received a contract extension in 2018. This is what his AD said at the time:

“We have a head coach who matches our culture and has proven the ability to win, proven that he cares about our student-athletes graduating, and proven to run a clean and ethical program,” said Athletic Director Andy Fee in a press release. “Coach Monson is committed to returning our program to the top of the Big West Conference.  I believe we are not far from that goal. I am committed to supporting Coach Monson and this team in our championship pursuits. We are very excited for next year’s recruiting class to arrive on campus and join ten returning student-athletes for what we believe will be a very strong season. Our program is in good hands with Coach Dan Monson guiding its direction.”

Monson was happy with the vote of confidence from the administration.

“I think this show that it’s a destination for me and my family. I’ve been here 11 years and to be able to say that we’re going to stay here for the foreseeable future is so exciting for all of us,” said Monson. “I think the other thing it says a lot about is who you’re working for. The people make the job. The commitment that president Conley and Andy Fee and the administration are making to the basketball program and the statement they are making with this contract is unbelievable and it lets me know I’m at the right place.”

Ya think?

Spotlight: Long Beach | Visit California

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

But he ended back in Paradise. Has been at Cal State Long Beach since 2007. He has an overall losing record at LB including losing seasons in 7 of the past 8. One NCAAT appearance. Last conference title was 2013. Received a contract extension in 2018. This is what his AD said at the time:

“We have a head coach who matches our culture and has proven the ability to win, proven that he cares about our student-athletes graduating, and proven to run a clean and ethical program,” said Athletic Director Andy Fee in a press release. “Coach Monson is committed to returning our program to the top of the Big West Conference.  I believe we are not far from that goal. I am committed to supporting Coach Monson and this team in our championship pursuits. We are very excited for next year’s recruiting class to arrive on campus and join ten returning student-athletes for what we believe will be a very strong season. Our program is in good hands with Coach Dan Monson guiding its direction.”

Monson was happy with the vote of confidence from the administration.

“I think this show that it’s a destination for me and my family. I’ve been here 11 years and to be able to say that we’re going to stay here for the foreseeable future is so exciting for all of us,” said Monson. “I think the other thing it says a lot about is who you’re working for. The people make the job. The commitment that president Conley and Andy Fee and the administration are making to the basketball program and the statement they are making with this contract is unbelievable and it lets me know I’m at the right place.”

Ya think?

Spotlight: Long Beach | Visit California

Started a new thread discussing stuff like this...and TY.

• Like 1