'21-'22 National Hoops Scene

rico

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

How is this Boston kid for UK still considered a first round pick

Cal was asked why he came out in the second half with the same starting unit (basically why Boston is playing over Allen) and he said he wants to win but more so he doesn’t want to take kids heart away....or basically I care about my 5* nba kids heart but the other kids on the team that may not be 5* I could care less about. It seems pretty clear he has promised Boston his playing time and won’t take it away for anything...even if he loses. I mean the mental gymnastics he will pull to cover up the fact he only cares about his nba talent is amazing. Basically won’t play the best 5 or who will win him the game just so a couple 5* won’t get unhappy and cost him future 5* recruits. Got to keep getting those kids into the nba even if it hurts his team.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Cal was asked why he came out in the second half with the same starting unit (basically why Boston is playing over Allen) and he said he wants to win but more so he doesn’t want to take kids heart away....or basically I care about my 5* nba kids heart but the other kids on the team that may not be 5* I could care less about. It seems pretty clear he has promised Boston his playing time and won’t take it away for anything...even if he loses. I mean the mental gymnastics he will pull to cover up the fact he only cares about his nba talent is amazing. Basically won’t play the best 5 or who will win him the game just so a couple 5* won’t get unhappy and cost him future 5* recruits. Got to keep getting those kids into the nba even if it hurts his team.

That is sad and would be so upset if our coach ever thought that way

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Virgina doesn't play withering defense?

They played good, solid defense, but not the physical defense or with the  intensity I'd imagined. They play pack line like we do, but didn't seem to sag as much and played the passing lanes more. Clemson got some pretty good looks, but just didn't hit them (where have I seen that before?).

On offense, though, I haven't seen a shooting display like they opened up the 2nd half with in a long time. And Clemson is supposed to be a good defensive team too.

I guess I'm just more use to watching the bump and grind of the B10. I noticed it watching a Pac 12 game the other day too. Just not as physical or intense. The only other conference I've seen that's as physical as the B10 is the Big 12...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

They played good, solid defense, but not the physical defense or with the  intensity I'd imagined. They play pack line like we do, but didn't seem to sag as much and played the passing lanes more. Clemson got some pretty good looks, but just didn't hit them (where have I seen that before?).

On offense, though, I haven't seen a shooting display like they opened up the 2nd half with in a long time. And Clemson is supposed to be a good defensive team too.

I guess I'm just more use to watching the bump and grind of the B10. I noticed it watching a Pac 12 game the other day too. Just not as physical or intense. The only other conference I've seen that's as physical as the B10 is the Big 12...

Ah I understand what you're saying. Yes, the B1G is more physical and IMO that's a large reason why we haven't won a national title in over 20 years and a streak I think is unlikely to end anytime soon until the refs in our conference start dictating that teams play real basketball. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Ah I understand what you're saying. Yes, the B1G is more physical and IMO that's a large reason why we haven't won a national title in over 20 years and a streak I think is unlikely to end anytime soon until the refs in our conference start dictating that teams play real basketball. 

I agree with that 100%...

I've thought for years the way B1G refs called games as opposed to refs from other conferences calling games during the tournament has hindered our conference's pursuit of a NC...

• Like 1

Just now, Muckraker said:

Thanks, Rico. That article just proves that Allen should have done the right thing... He should have chosen IU. 😁

The 1st one I put up there touched on a few other things like kneeling for the national anthem, roster turn-over, and Cal's general coaching practices.  It was from the Lexington Herald I believe.

Can anyone answer me if tourney committee takes into account single digit losses or overtime losses when judging resumes? Or is it just optics when someone says team A and B have same record....but team A had many more close losses?

So many times you hear the national guys discuss well yes they won games but close games vs bad competition. Just curious. Obviously for our sake overtime losses at FSU/Wisconsin hopefully will be remembered.

Just was curious.

32 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Can anyone answer me if tourney committee takes into account single digit losses or overtime losses when judging resumes? Or is it just optics when someone says team A and B have same record....but team A had many more close losses?

So many times you hear the national guys discuss well yes they won games but close games vs bad competition. Just curious. Obviously for our sake overtime losses at FSU/Wisconsin hopefully will be remembered.

Just was curious.

Double digit wins/losses to affect the NET rankings. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So losing close games to ranked teams doesn't impact?

It could in human committee eyes but I don’t know that for a fact. I just know that the NET factors in double digit wins/losses.

I have read where some coaches will call a timeout down 10 with just a few seconds to go to get into single digits.  

• Like 1