'21-'22 National Hoops Scene

rico

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Northern Illinois parts with coach Mark Montgomery amid 1-7 start (espn.com)

Already a coach is fired, He was 18-13 last year and tied for first in the West division of the MAC.  I wonder what some of these mid major programs think they are going to achieve where they fire a coach after having a good season.

I see he is a former Izzo assistant.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dgambill said:

He is from Kentucky. One of the best kids to play high school ball in the state for a long time but he wasn’t a 5 star so Cal wouldn’t play him. People kept asking him why he doesn’t play him on a team that can’t shoot and Cal would visably get angry and says he has to earn it....despite his 5 star kids not earning it. Lo and behold Cal gets kicked out and Bruiser puts him in and the kid goes 7-11 from 3...I’m not sure UK has hit 7 threes all season in their 1-6 start. The Cal hate is very real in Kentucky. Pitch forks are about to come out because of all the talk he has been doing all year and excuses for not playing him.

I personally find this hilarious.  Cal proving he's more about being a springboard to the NBA than anything else.  Those hill-jacks deserve him.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I personally find this hilarious.  Cal proving he's more about being a springboard to the NBA than anything else.  Those hill-jacks deserve him.

He didn’t like being questioned and didn’t want to be proven a fraud of a coach...now the curtain is pulled away and everyone sees him for what he is. His buyout is like 68 million dollars so he will be there as long as he wants.

Just saw Houston's top scorer from last year Mills is transferring.  He averaged 13 points a game last year as a freshman but his average is down to 10 points a game.  He took a leave from the team and now is in the transfer portal.  Houston is a top 5 ranked team and wonder how this will effect them.

18 minutes ago, cybergates said:

247 say is was Kenya Hunter who recruited him to UConn

We have a scholarship he could take right now, right? He couldn't play, but he could begin practicing. Not a bad replacement for TJD. 

This is a kid like Lander that reclassed from 2021 to 2020. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

We have a scholarship he could take right now, right? He couldn't play, but he could begin practicing. Not a bad replacement for TJD. 

Sounds good to me. It would be nice for IU to have a 7 footer "project" like Turdue for once. Not so much of a project like Tijan or April, but a kid like this that committed to our current asst coach at UConn and had an offer from U of AZ.

• Like 1

Didn't want to start a new thread on this.  But, at this point in the season, these are TJD's national rankings in some stats. 

1st - 2 point FG attempts

2nd - 2 point FGs made (to Garza)

2nd in FTs made (to Marcus Carr)

2nd in FTs attempted (Jalen Moore of Oakland)

9th in Minutes played

6th in defensive rebounds

8th in total rebounds

4th in total points

8th in Defensive Win Shares

7th in Total Win Shares

I know some think he doesn't get enough touches, but these numbers indicate otherwise.

2020-21 Leaders | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Does anyone know what's going on with college players being able to have sponsorships? I just read an article about some small school volleyball player that has sponsors for her youtube channel and she has not lost her eligibility. That article then linked to an ESPN analysis that said top players could make between 500k and 1 million dollars. I wonder if staying in college next year could be the more profitable move for TJD?

15 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Does anyone know what's going on with college players being able to have sponsorships? I just read an article about some small school volleyball player that has sponsors for her youtube channel and she has not lost her eligibility. That article then linked to an ESPN analysis that said top players could make between 500k and 1 million dollars. I wonder if staying in college next year could be the more profitable move for TJD?

I believe they were supposed to have the proposed rules ready by the end of 2020 to be voted on in the spring and then take effect at the beginning of the '21-'22 school year. We know they're supposed to be allowed to earn NIL money at that time, just not what the exact rules will be yet.

Edit: I think the law passed in Florida went in to effect at the beginning of this year. I don't know if that was delayed to allow the NCAA to catch up.

Edited by go_iu_bb

56 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Didn't want to start a new thread on this.  But, at this point in the season, these are TJD's national rankings in some stats. 

1st - 2 point FG attempts

2nd - 2 point FGs made (to Garza)

2nd in FTs made (to Marcus Carr)

2nd in FTs attempted (Jalen Moore of Oakland)

9th in Minutes played

6th in defensive rebounds

8th in total rebounds

4th in total points

8th in Defensive Win Shares

7th in Total Win Shares

I know some think he doesn't get enough touches, but these numbers indicate otherwise.

2020-21 Leaders | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)

And some don't think he's likely to be drafted in the first round? 

Dude is killing it. He has some weaknesses to work on for the next level -- has to be better about going over his weak shoulder and putting it up with his off hand. Needs to take and show the ability to knock down more outside shots (those he's taken imo have mostly looked in good form). Has to show more consistent effort on both ends (definitely not talking about the Wiscy game here), no taking time off in getting back on D. But he's obviously playing at the top of the pool, and nationally.