'21-'22 National Hoops Scene

rico

21 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I am not all about making examples of people. But good grief. The leader of young men literally and selfishly put innocent lives at risk.

We are talking life and death matters here. And he is missing a game against Dixie State?

Yet if a player doesn't get proper grades, he can miss a semester, even a year.

Hmmmmm

Well maybe the student that didn't make the grade could say it was because he was drunk?

Not trying to make light of your concern, but.

2 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

I am not all about making examples of people. But good grief. The leader of young men literally and selfishly put innocent lives at risk.

We are talking life and death matters here. And he is missing a game against Dixie State?

Hmmmmm

1986 Posing for Charity Calendar = 2021 Drunk Driving

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Hmmmmm

But, but, but.....

Few will also miss the Zags' Saturday preseason event, Kraziness at the Kennel, and two exhibition games

• Haha 1

On 10/11/2021 at 2:53 PM, 5fouls said:

FYI.  We have a high school hoops thread already.  Rico opened one a while back.

The running clock thing is atrocious.  I would be more embarrassed to say they turned a running clock on than I would to lose by 50.  Those kind of decisions point to a significant problem with our society.

Not sure I understand the point of prolonging a painful and unentertaining event. As a fan I would be thankful to end it early. In some sports this is done to shorten the game an avoid any injuries as the likelihood that a kid gets hurt in a meaningless blowout would increase. I would think if you don’t want to have a running clock you would put in your b-team once you get up 30…see many teams continue to press and play starters until just a minute or two left. I’m no participation trophy fan for sure but just not sure what a running clock would has to do with it…but open to changing my mind.

44 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Not sure I understand the point of prolonging a painful and unentertaining event. As a fan I would be thankful to end it early. In some sports this is done to shorten the game an avoid any injuries as the likelihood that a kid gets hurt in a meaningless blowout would increase. I would think if you don’t want to have a running clock you would put in your b-team once you get up 30…see many teams continue to press and play starters until just a minute or two left. I’m no participation trophy fan for sure but just not sure what a running clock would has to do with it…but open to changing my mind.

But, it's not about the fans.  Myself, when I was in school, and both my kids have been end of bench type players in the sports we participated in.  End of bench players put the work in just like starters and rotation players, but just aren't as talented.  They didn't have running clocks when I was in school, but if they had, I would have found it to be demeaning. 

When I went into a game with three minutes left down 25, I was always convinced that lead was going to be 15 before I was done.  It never happened, but that was the attitude I took onto the floor.  With a running clock, I would have felt less worthy, like a child at the kids table on Thanksgiving.  

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

But, it's not about the fans.  Myself, when I was in school, and both my kids have been end of bench type players in the sports we participated in.  End of bench players put the work in just like starters and rotation players, but just aren't as talented.  They didn't have running clocks when I was in school, but if they had, I would have found it to be demeaning. 

When I went into a game with three minutes left down 25, I was always convinced that lead was going to be 15 before I was done.  It never happened, but that was the attitude I took onto the floor.  With a running clock, I would have felt less worthy, like a child at the kids table on Thanksgiving.  

Guess I don’t get it. Problem I’ve encountered is coaches don’t ever put the backups in. We would win games by 50-60 pts and play 6-7 guys continuing to play a trapping zone until about a couple minutes left before putting in the rest of the bench (to his credit most of the bench already played a quarter or two in the B-team game) and I’ve seen that at many other schools to. It’s a mercy rule. If anything it should change the mentality of the coach who is winning to get subs in faster as the clock will run out faster and they won’t get to play. I don’t see why it would bother me as a player. My goal would be then to get the score under 35 so the clock would stop running then. There is always something to play for. To be fair though I’ve never been on that side of a blowout like that though…always fairly close games or we were up big. So maybe my opinion isn’t the best.