'21-'22 National Hoops Scene

rico

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The other way required a lot of things to work as well. 

I don't disagree, I don't think you needed 100% of things to work the other way though. 

I said at the time that I would have fouled but I don't think this is some clear cut, "you always should do this" in that type of situation. 

• Like 1

Just now, KoB2011 said:

I don't disagree, I don't think you needed 100% of things to work the other way though. 

I said at the time that I would have fouled but I don't think this is some clear cut, "you always should do this" in that type of situation. 

That's my point. I'm not arguing for the way Archie played it or saying that he was right. I'm saying he wasn't wrong. 

Player execution is why the way he played it didn't work. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

That's my point. I'm not arguing for the way Archie played it or saying that he was right. I'm saying he wasn't wrong. 

Player execution is why the way he played it didn't work. 

Player execution has been our biggest problem under Archie. I think you and I see a lot of the same things that the concepts we put in place under Archie are really good, we just don't execute consistently enough. 

We can all go round and round all day on if that's coaching, player development, recruiting, back luck, or some combination of all that, but at the end of the day it comes down to players executing in the game that they're playing. 

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Player execution has been our biggest problem under Archie. I think you and I see a lot of the same things that the concepts we put in place under Archie are really good, we just don't execute consistently enough. 

We can all go round and round all day on if that's coaching, player development, recruiting, back luck, or some combination of all that, but at the end of the day it comes down to players executing in the game that they're playing. 

Completely agree, and yes we do see a lot of the same things. For probably all of those reasons IU is where it is. 

Whichever strategy was chosen on Sunday, it would have come down to player execution, and as you said that has been lacking. 

Ultimately something has been missing from this program for 4 years. It just has, and I can't really put my finger on it. 

I like Archie, I think he's really strong on the strategy and X's/O's stuff, he's a solid recruiter (I love our freshmen and sophomores), etc., but for some reason it just hasn't come together, and its the same issues over and over. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

Who are these 'people? This board is littered with countless threads and posts ripping the coach, calling for his firing, as well as posts talking about how lowly ranked IU's backcourt is, how we don't have enough bigs, how our starting guards are bench players on any good team, etc., etc. 

Apparently, you're one of these people. You come right out and say it's not coaching and not recruiting/talent yet the players still can't execute.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree, and yes we do see a lot of the same things. For probably all of those reasons IU is where it is. 

Whichever strategy was chosen on Sunday, it would have come down to player execution, and as you said that has been lacking. 

Ultimately something has been missing from this program for 4 years. It just has, and I can't really put my finger on it. 

I like Archie, I think he's really strong on the strategy and X's/O's stuff, he's a solid recruiter (I love our freshmen and sophomores), etc., but for some reason it just hasn't come together, and its the same issues over and over. 

Good coaches can get players to execute within a 3.5 years timespan. Unless, of course, those players just aren't talented enough.

11 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Apparently, you're one of these people. You come right out and say it's not coaching and not recruiting/talent yet the players still can't execute.

Good coaches can get players to execute within a 3.5 years timespan. Unless, of course, those players just aren't talented enough.

You must not have seen many of my posts, because I haven't said any of those things. 

I literally started the convo after the Purdue game about our backcourt only having 1 player ranked above 120 in their class. 

Edited by BGleas
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

I think lack of consistent perimeter shooting and backcourt scoring is where the biggest issue lies with Archies teams. It just puts so much stress on your offense. Hard to dribble drive when people dive under screens or sags off guys. We don’t have explosive/dynamic guards so we don’t beat the defense and stress them to react and help much. It also means we don’t push the ball enough and it allows defenses to set up and get in position to help on Trayce.

There are so many things that are made so much more difficult when you don’t have consistent shooting. Basically makes it difficult to pull away even when our defense is locked in. Long scoreless stretches. Typically get outscored from 3. So every game is a close dog fight...which let’s be honest in B1G play...you aren’t going to win a lot of games when you are constantly in close games. You get to end of games and it’s 50-50 and you don’t shoot free throws well and you don’t shoot well from outside it’s a hard way to live to think you are going to win 75% of those games. Lucky to win half and why we win one and lose the next. Why we haven’t landed those shooters is hard to explain. Anderson didn’t turn out. Hunter had injuries. Langford injured....just some bad luck there but I also wonder if his defensive focus scares kids away. Imo our inconsistency is from our inconsistent shooting....and there is a long list of what is causing that.

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

You must not have seen many of my posts, because I haven't said any of those things. 

I literally started the convo after the Purdue game about our backcourt only having 1 player ranked above 120 in their class. 

So what did you mean when you said "he's a solid recruiter" in the quote above? That implies that the recruiting has been just fine so I must've not seen your other post. Apologies if I misunderstood that statement. I personally wouldn't say that someone is a solid recruiter if I doubted how well they've recruited. The backcourt and the thinness up front are reasons for doubt in my opinion.

UK off to a bad start down 17-12 to Alabama.  I know we are wondering hoe a 5 star player in Lander wasn't playing much early.  Alabama has a former 5 star point Quinerly who transferred from Villanova.  He played sparingly at Villanova and had to sit out last year.  So in his 3rd year of college he is still not able to get a starting spot.

I just don't really enjoy how Alabama runs their offense.  It is 5 out and have someone go one on one with others standing around the 3 point line.  It is all 3's or take it all the way to the rim.  They have had at least 5 shots blocked at the rim and 3 charges called.  Just don't understand why you don't pull up and shoot a 10 foot shot in the lane.

2 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

So what did you mean when you said "he's a solid recruiter" in the quote above? That implies that the recruiting has been just fine so I must've not seen your other post. Apologies if I misunderstood that statement. I personally wouldn't say that someone is a solid recruiter if I doubted how well they've recruited. The backcourt and the thinness up front are reasons for doubt in my opinion.

He's a solid recruiter. That's what he is to this point. He's not great, he's solid. You don't land Langford, TJD and Lander, to go along with pulling Phinisee from Purdue country and, Jerome Hunter and Duncomb from Ohio if you're a bad recruiter. 

It's pretty clear that solid means good, but not great. Seems pretty clear to me?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think lack of consistent perimeter shooting and backcourt scoring is where the biggest issue lies with Archies teams. It just puts so much stress on your offense. Hard to dribble drive when people dive under screens or sags off guys. We don’t have explosive/dynamic guards so we don’t beat the defense and stress them to react and help much. It also means we don’t push the ball enough and it allows defenses to set up and get in position to help on Trayce.

There are so many things that are made so much more difficult when you don’t have consistent shooting. Basically makes it difficult to pull away even when our defense is locked in. Long scoreless stretches. Typically get outscored from 3. So every game is a close dog fight...which let’s be honest in B1G play...you aren’t going to win a lot of games when you are constantly in close games. You get to end of games and it’s 50-50 and you don’t shoot free throws well and you don’t shoot well from outside it’s a hard way to live to think you are going to win 75% of those games. Lucky to win half and why we win one and lose the next. Why we haven’t landed those shooters is hard to explain. Anderson didn’t turn out. Hunter had injuries. Langford injured....just some bad luck there but I also wonder if his defensive focus scares kids away. Imo our inconsistency is from our inconsistent shooting....and there is a long list of what is causing that.

Completely agree, I'd even drill it down further to lack of recruiting big time point guards. He got Phinisee and then it was 3 years until he landed Lander, who as we all know was really a kid in 2021. 

IU has had really bad, to average at best point guard play since Archie got here, and you'd think point guard would be a position he'd be able to nail, being a point guard himself. 

He's basically struck out on every high level (by high level I mean top 50-75ish) point guard he's gone after until Lander. We always explained it that recruits figured Phinisee would have the position locked down, but unfortunately Phinisee hasn't develop like many had hoped. 

Imagine this team with a Yogi at point guard?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree, I'd even drill it down further to lack of recruiting big time point guards. He got Phinisee and then it was 3 years until he landed Lander, who as we all know was really a kid in 2021. 

IU has had really bad, to average at best point guard play since Archie got here, and you'd think point guard would be a position he'd be able to nail, being a point guard himself. 

He's basically struck out on every high level (by high level I mean top 50-75ish) point guard he's gone after until Lander. We always explained it that recruits figured Phinisee would have the position locked down, but unfortunately Phinisee hasn't develop like many had hoped. 

Or McKinley Wright’s 15 points and 6 assists per game. He was a CAM recruit

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Or McKinley Wright’s 15 points and 6 assists per game. He was a CAM recruit

That would have been a nice get. It's just odd it took two full recruiting cycles after Phinisee to get another point guard and it was one we had to convince to come a year early. It wouldn't be a huge issue if Phinisee had developed into an upper echelon Big Ten point. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That would have been a nice get. It's just odd it took two full recruiting cycles after Phinisee to get another point guard and it was one we had to convince to come a year early. It wouldn't be a huge issue if Phinisee had developed into an upper echelon Big Ten point. 

I think it's fair to wonder if he would have developed into that point guard without the injuries. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think it's fair to wonder if he would have developed into that point guard without the injuries. 

Well he did get to play quite a bit as a frosh.  Certainly more than Lander has.  He was injured as a soph., but it wasn't anything that was chronic though didn't get to practice as much as he would've without the injuries.

39 minutes ago, slojoe said:

Well he did get to play quite a bit as a frosh.  Certainly more than Lander has.  He was injured as a soph., but it wasn't anything that was chronic though didn't get to practice as much as he would've without the injuries.

He had a serious concussion his freshman year and honestly, has never looked the same consistently since then. 

58 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I see Nijel Pack is ready to come back after getting covid. Local Indy kid that's starting for KSU as a freshman. 2.6/1 assist to turnover ratio in his 12 games. Also averaging 32 mpg. Shooting isn't bad other than his FT's. I know IU brought in Lander in this class, I just don't see why CAM can't bring in a local PG after striking out nationally. I know he's small and his rank (120) doesn't impress but almost anything would be better than running with RP and AD all the time.

27 minutes ago, Mike said:

70 -59 Alabama

Not nearly as entertaining a game as their last few.  I still think Oats has a bright future.  Will be interesting to see if they take a step back next season after losing 4 of their rotation players next to graduation, 2 of which are likely their best players in Petty and Jones.  Looks like they have the #9 ranked recruit coming in next season though.   If Archie doesn't turn this thing around next season and Indiana makes a move, Alabama will probably give him enough of a raise to keep him.  He is already making nearly 2.5 million and can compete at the top of the SEC with the level of talent he will be able to recruit with his playing style.

20 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I see Nijel Pack is ready to come back after getting covid. Local Indy kid that's starting for KSU as a freshman. 2.6/1 assist to turnover ratio in his 12 games. Also averaging 32 mpg. Shooting isn't bad other than his FT's. I know IU brought in Lander in this class, I just don't see why CAM can't bring in a local PG after striking out nationally. I know he's small and his rank (120) doesn't impress but almost anything would be better than running with RP and AD all the time.

How do you know he wants to leave KSU