The CFP

rico

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

I think if osu misses one more game and can’t make the big ten title game. Wins against Michigan and then beats Wisconsin on the day we would play northwestern in theory, they still make the cfp over us. Honestly I think they should anyway, they are the better team. 

Especially the 3 week quarantine, plus Columbus is in one of the worst counties right now

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Andy06 said:

Coastal Carolina barely beat Troy.  Iowa wins vs Wisconsin.  I am guessing we get leapfrogged by both in the idiotic reasoning from the committee. 

I'm sure this is the idiot optimist in me, but I feel like having Iowa behind us is almost a buffer.  It has to take some major mental gymnastics for anyone to argue that Iowa should be ranked higher than us unless we lose another game.  If they don't play us, they won't play a good team next week, so they won't get a chance for a big win.  Of course, with their AD as the selection committee chair, all bets are off.  You'd think there'd be some blowback if they passed us with no better wins and 2 losses, with one of those being to a 2-4 team.

Northwestern will take care of itself.  They win next week and they deserve to be ahead of us, they lose and they'll be done.  USC is already the PAC 12 representative in an NY6 bowl already, so it doesn't matter what they do.  After today, it will be hard for Coastal Carolina to move up.  Right behind Iowa is 3 loss UNC, then BYU.  They won't catch us unless we lose.  Miami lost, so we'll be ahead of them.  If we aren't 11th this week, we're really getting screwed.  That puts us as the last team to make an NY6 bowl.  USC would be the lowest ranked, but they don't really matter for this.

Oklahoma and Iowa State play next week.  We really need an Iowa State win.  That would put us ahead of Oklahoma, and we could survive one of Coastal Carolina, NW, or Iowa jumping us.  I think we should jump Iowa State if they lose, but I don't completely trust that to happen.  If Florida doesn't play well tonight, we'd have a shot at jumping them if they get beat down by Alabama.  If LSU could pull off a miracle and win tonight, we'd be sitting in great shape.

10th place is the magic number.  We get to 10th, and we're automatically in.

7 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

And LSU is coming out playing with pride.  Up 24-17 at the half 

If LSU can find a way to win, that would be massive.  I don't know if an Alabama loss alone would drop them below us.  If LSU could win, that would mean Miami, Florida, and probably Oklahoma or Iowa State would fall behind us in the next 2 weeks.  A win next week would basically guarantee us an NY6 bowl.

With the Miami and Florida losses, and one of Oklahoma or Iowa State losing next week, we should move ahead of 3 teams the next 2 weeks.  Even if Coastal Carolina, USC, and Iowa all somehow pass us, we'd still make a New Years 6 bowl.

If my calculations are correct, here are the only ways we don't make an NY6 bowl.

We lose next week.

Florida beats Bama.

NW beats OSU.

Iowa State loses next week, and stays ranked ahead of us.

A 3 loss UNC team passes us.

If none of those things happen, we're a lock.  Even if 1 of those things happen besides us losing, we're still highly likely to make one.

13 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I'm sure this is the idiot optimist in me, but I feel like having Iowa behind us is almost a buffer.  It has to take some major mental gymnastics for anyone to argue that Iowa should be ranked higher than us unless we lose another game.  If they don't play us, they won't play a good team next week, so they won't get a chance for a big win.  Of course, with their AD as the selection committee chair, all bets are off.  You'd think there'd be some blowback if they passed us with no better wins and 2 losses, with one of those being to a 2-4 team.

Northwestern will take care of itself.  They win next week and they deserve to be ahead of us, they lose and they'll be done.  USC is already the PAC 12 representative in an NY6 bowl already, so it doesn't matter what they do.  After today, it will be hard for Coastal Carolina to move up.  Right behind Iowa is 3 loss UNC, then BYU.  They won't catch us unless we lose.  Miami lost, so we'll be ahead of them.  If we aren't 11th this week, we're really getting screwed.  That puts us as the last team to make an NY6 bowl.  USC would be the lowest ranked, but they don't really matter for this.

Oklahoma and Iowa State play next week.  We really need an Iowa State win.  That would put us ahead of Oklahoma, and we could survive one of Coastal Carolina, NW, or Iowa jumping us.  I think we should jump Iowa State if they lose, but I don't completely trust that to happen.  If Florida doesn't play well tonight, we'd have a shot at jumping them if they get beat down by Alabama.  If LSU could pull off a miracle and win tonight, we'd be sitting in great shape.

One side note...USC has to play in the Pac-12 championship game.

13 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

CBS and 247 both still has IU projected to go to Fiesta Bowl vs USC in latest bowl projections...

Archived