Providence Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Hopefully Archie was being encouraging to Jerome. To me when a player just has an awful game he needs to be picked up...especially a shooter like him. Keep his confidence high. We are going to need him. 

He was. I didn't see Archie going at Hunter whatsoever. They were standing close together and it looked to me like Archie was encouraging and teaching. Hunter was nodding his head and listening. 

Great performance today. So many encouraging things. Phinisee controlled the tempo beautifully, Franklin was solid, Durham was a fantastic leader/senior, and even though he struggled TJD hit a jumper and Race hit several jumpers. Race was phenomenal. As a team, the defense was great and offensively we played with purpose.   

I'm a huge fan of Galloway, we're going to love this kid over 4 years. Lander isn't quite ready yet, defensively he's really far away and we know how Archie values defense. 

Finally, it's the first Archie team that seems to really like each other. They seem to play with passion and purpose, and appear that they're on the same page. There will be ups and downs, but I'm excited to watch this team develop. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

At the half of UNC game Sean Farnham said he thought IU was no better than the middle of the pack Big Ten team.  He said it had nothing to do with us but just how good the big ten teams are.  I give you the top 4 teams but I feel we are ad good ad any of the other teams.

Very bold statement by Farnham. Once again, its way too early to tell who are the top teams of each conference. Not sold on Illinois yet, they barely squeaked by against Ohio at home. 

I know he is only two games in but I really believe Galloway is the piece that has been missing under Archie.  Smart, scrappy, plays hard and communicates constantly.  He will pay huge dividends in his 4 years at IU.  Hoping to see Leal get some time as well as the season progresses

3 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

I think Lander is going to be fine.  He will get the hang of the defensive schemes.  You can see flashes of his potential.  It was his second game.  I think by the end of the year he will be one of our best offensive players.

I agree. He will be a bigger piece as we get farther down the road! 

10 minutes ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

I agree. He will be a bigger piece as we get farther down the road! 

He may get some PT to break the press tomorrow.  Archie’s teams have always handled it well and his speed could be showcased tomorrow.  Some of his passes game 1 looked marvelous. Great vision. 

19 minutes ago, Bustout said:

He may get some PT to break the press tomorrow.  Archie’s teams have always handled it well and his speed could be showcased tomorrow.  Some of his passes game 1 looked marvelous. Great vision. 

totally agree. If our least impressive player is a guy who is essentially a high school senior, then we're in great shape.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

He was. I didn't see Archie going at Hunter whatsoever. They were standing close together and it looked to me like Archie was encouraging and teaching. Hunter was nodding his head and listening. 

I loved how Hunter stood there super respectful and listening the way he was supposed to. I’m truly pulling for Hunter.

1 hour ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Understood LOL. I just don’t know him is all. Now I get it. He needs a signature that says anything I say negative should be taken with a grain of salt lol

Well, that isn't always true. 

I definitely can be negative when it is warranted. Like when @BGleas talks about the Celtics, @Hoosierhoopster talks about Paul George or Mercedes, or anytime @bluegrassIU posts, 

43 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I loved how Hunter stood there super respectful and listening the way he was supposed to. I’m truly pulling for Hunter.

Same. He has shown flashes. Seems like he hasn't had much of a chance to get into a rhythm, except for the end of the season last year. None of his shots looked bad today, just didn't fall.

Obviously it is too early to pass judgements on this season, but I do wonder if losing Smith to transfer wasn't addition by subtraction for this team. Obviously if he is here he would likely start, reducing the role and minutes for other players who I think we are starting to see blossom. And I know there is no way to truly know his mindset or affect on team chemistry, but it certainly did seem that he frequently had a bad attitude.

Regardless, feels good to be on the winning side of the bracket here and have a legitimate chance to earn 3 good, resume building type wins.

24 minutes ago, madmax said:

Obviously it is too early to pass judgements on this season, but I do wonder if losing Smith to transfer wasn't addition by subtraction for this team. Obviously if he is here he would likely start, reducing the role and minutes for other players who I think we are starting to see blossom. And I know there is no way to truly know his mindset or affect on team chemistry, but it certainly did seem that he frequently had a bad attitude.

Regardless, feels good to be on the winning side of the bracket here and have a legitimate chance to earn 3 good, resume building type wins.

I can’t verify, but maybe Green was more of a cancer?   Smith had his dad yapping all the time.   Smith’s main issue was offense - obviously.  He would’ve been a mismatch down low because he was so athletic, but he was never utilized much that way the past two seasons - not sure if that was schematic or just coaching.  Also wonder if that would’ve changed this year?

Archived