Providence Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

really liked the ball movement most of the time.  liked the team defense and rebounding.  i want to admit again that i wasn't nearly as sold on Race as most on this board.  very happy to admit that i was wrong!  this is a team that has a lot of different guys who can contribute.  it is a little scary going 3-17 from 3.  very excited to see how we do tomorrow.  i live in NC and want so badly to see us play them and beat them!

ESPN says we shot 5 of 14 from 3....35%

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I guess I need to watch them again because they looked pretty bad. Not trying to diminish our performance because we played well, but Providence had a whole bunch of sloppy turnovers and a whole lot of ole’ defense. They can’t be happy about that game at all. 

It was basically a pick 'em game going in, no one saw an IU blowout coming. Seems like a pretty good W.

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I guess I need to watch them again because they looked pretty bad. Not trying to diminish our performance because we played well, but Providence had a whole bunch of sloppy turnovers and a whole lot of ole’ defense. They can’t be happy about that game at all. 

Thats fair, I didn't get to watch the game. I just know they finished strong last year and were predicted to contend in the Big East.

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m working from home. Watched the beginning and couldn’t concentrate on either work or the game (although Bill’s pot thoughts were low hanging fruit).  So I turned it off and recorded it .  May watch it later.  

I was thinking the same thing.  Could not concentrate on game or work, and Walton's rambling complicated things even more.

1 minute ago, bluegrassIU said:

Thats fair, I didn't get to watch the game. I just know they finished strong last year and were predicted to contend in the Big East.

I actually laughed instead of rolling my eyes at a Bill Walton analysis when he said something along the lines: At some point Providence needs to figure out TJD is left handed and he’s not likely to change that before the game ends. 

16 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Plus the TJD/Thompson combo had 34 points, 20 rebounds, hit 8 of 12 FT, 4 blocks, 3 assists, and only 1 TO. Pretty good from the starting big men. 

Yes, TJD shot poorly but I would take those numbers above from the combo any game and think IU has a chance to win.

This team has it all and each game will be played differently.  If the opponent lacks a front court, TJD will feast.  If they have a good front court, IUs perimeter will open up.   TJD, Race, and Hunter are so versatile - shoot from 15 out or make a post move.  

games like this will happen for TJD.  He’ll respond - no doubt. 

This team looks accountable and hopefully won’t go through long droughts. Also - this team shouldn’t be blowing double digit leads like last year.  IU got up big today, and I think it got down to 8-9, but IU responded.   Last year it’d be a tie game.  

guys are older now. In system for a while.  And the young kids are hungry and will push the upperclassmen.  Some days people will perform, other days they won’t.  But the balance and versatility and being able to do everything Is a great formula ... and it ALL starts with D and rebounding.  

If guys like Mason Miller just want to showcase their offensive game, then those guys don’t fit here.   Must play D and board - and everything will fall into place.   

7 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Very solid numbers and win. The bench is young so expect inconsistency from them. But if they would have played better along with TJD, this would have been a 30+ point win. 

That’s the beauty of this team. Versatile and balanced.  Can beat you so many ways.  

IU will exploit what is given.  For instance, tomorrow, when they press a lot - IU will have a lot of points in the paint from the guards.  Trey, Al, Rob and aarman. Plus I expect Lander to get in the mix more tomorrow.  Hit some layups beating the press. 

It's early, I know, but I have a concern about Hunter.  His lateral quickness seems poor and I'm wondering if his defense is going to always be a problem?  I know he has the leg issue and that's what maybe is bothering me?  Miller says he's healthy, but man, he was about a foul a minute today.  Just an off day perhaps?

7 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

It's early, I know, but I have a concern about Hunter.  His lateral quickness seems poor and I'm wondering if his defense is going to always be a problem?  I know he has the leg issue and that's what maybe is bothering me?  Miller says he's healthy, but man, he was about a foul a minute today.  Just an off day perhaps?

He has always had lateral quickness problems. He needs to anticipate better and get in better defensive position. 

18 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

LOL at a pick 'em.  Good to see IU DESTROY that line.

It's early, but it's good to see all the Eeyores in hiding.

Loved what we got from Race...definitely seeing why Archie is saying most improved in B1G. 

Best game I’ve seen from Al...this is what a senior needs to bring. Hope it is a sign of what’s to come. Definitely improved over last year and I’m happy to be wrong about him not starting.

75% FT looked good, after TN Tech game. I think we can do better, but 75% as a team is OK.

Kept them in the 50's scoring wise. That's very good defense.

4 of our 9 TO's came from inexperienced players (Galloway & Hunter). Both tried to force things a little.

Did I miss Leal? I don't remember him playing. (must not play defense well enough yet, or he's hurt)

Edit: Also...IU got 17 pts from TO's , and 36 pts in the paint.

36 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

Indiana made that 20 pt win look so easy.  I mean, really.  Total control from start to finish.  Now I'm not sure how good Providence will be, but still.

Because we had no scoring droughts. Anytime they made back to back buckets we quickly stopped their run and answered.

Archived