Providence Postgame Thread

KDB

Just finished the game (stupid job). 

Awesome job all around. I admit I was a bit uneasy after the second half the other night, but holy heck that was fun to watch. Great defense and ball movement, plus my personal favorite no scoring draughts. 

Also, during the second half I had a heart to heart with Little Keet about how Bill Walton is a prime example of why you should never take drugs. 

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

It's early, I know, but I have a concern about Hunter.  His lateral quickness seems poor and I'm wondering if his defense is going to always be a problem?  I know he has the leg issue and that's what maybe is bothering me?  Miller says he's healthy, but man, he was about a foul a minute today.  Just an off day perhaps?

What I would do is start him from time to time to see if you can get him going that way. I have never been a huge fan of playing the same lineup no matter what. I do like consistency and I am sure the players do too. But sometimes to spark a fire, you give them a start to see what they can do. 

As I said in the game thread, we had a good chance to see what small-ball might look like. Even though in those last few minutes of the first half the lead diminished a little, they still held their own and maintained a double digit lead.

I am hoping to see Lander get more experience in meaningful minutes and want to see him let the game come to him. 

Right now, Galloway looks like the freshman who will contribute most 

2 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Just finished the game (stupid job). 

Awesome job all around. I admit I was a bit uneasy after the second half the other night, but holy heck that was fun to watch. Great defense and ball movement, plus my personal favorite no scoring draughts. 

Also, during the second half I had a heart to heart with Little Keet about how Bill Walton is a prime example of why you should never take drugs. 

I guess. Seems to me Bill enjoys life a lot more than most. Not that you want to listen to it on a day to day basis, but I'll take his color commentary any day, every day over Dickie V. 

19 minutes ago, DWB said:

75% FT looked good, after TN Tech game. I think we can do better, but 75% as a team is OK.

Kept them in the 50's scoring wise. That's very good defense.

4 of our 9 TO's came from inexperienced players (Galloway & Hunter). Both tried to force things a little.

Did I miss Leal? I don't remember him playing. (must not play defense well enough yet, or he's hurt)

Edit: Also...IU got 17 pts from TO's , and 36 pts in the paint.

If a team would shoot 75% for the year it would be one of the best in the country.  I think it was last year when people was talking about how bad our FT shooting was and I went back in history.  I think we had like 4 or 5 teams in history to shoot over 75%.  The 76 team only hit 67% and it didn't stop them from being great.

I'm not sure what Bill Walton does is your typical color commentary. For example, less than 3 minutes into the game he said, "This is the best I've seen Trayce Jackson-Davis play."  He had barely broken a sweat. Just nonsensical jibberish. Add that to long drawn out segments where he doesn't even talk about the game he is covering and it's almost painful. 

I hope Lander doesn't get discouraged with not coming out and playing really well.  I hope he keeps his head up and keeps working because he will get it turned around.  TJD needs to play more physical and go through the defender instead of trying to shoot around the defender. I know it might not make a difference but right now TJD still has a lot to work on for him to to go to the NBA.  I thought our experience guards were very good and love having guys who takes care of the ball. 

OMG, I expected we'd win, but this is such a nice surprise. 

Race Thompson is evolving as a solid front court mate of TJD, which would benefit each other. And has Archie found a gem in Trey Galloway? I was so impressed by his savviness/IQ and his body control  If he keeps improving without big injuries, I think Trey's got a pro potential. 

To me, our team looks like a legit top 25 team, if not top 15.   

16 minutes ago, madmax said:

So I saw it posted elsewhere that how much you enjoy Walton covering a game for ESPN is inversely related to how invested you are in the game. I think it holds true as I normally enjoy his games, but couldn’t stand him tonight. 

Very true. He was on my nerves so bad I turned the sound off...and whatever goofball was directing that broadcast should have that side panel shoved up his hinny-ho sideways...

Walton kept saying how physical Providence was...did he forget we play in the B10, probably THE most physical conference? 

I'll only add I loved our tenacious D. Rob played a GREAT floor game (11 pts on 4/5 from the floor, 3/4 from the line, 5 assists and 0 TOs) and shut David Duke down (12 points on 3-12 shooting and 4 TOs).

We were disciplined on offense too. Kept running out sets. We may have taken 5 bad shots the whole game. 

Bring on Texas. I gotta have bragging rights with the neighbors. If they even know Texas plays basketball...

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Bring on Texas. I gotta have bragging rights with the neighbors. If they even know Texas plays basketball...

You think Texas is bad, you should live in the heart of SEC land! Two years ago when Auburn was doing so well in the tournament, my boss an Auburn alumni and huge football fan had know idea until I told him. After that I think he admitted to watching a couple minutes but turned it off because he can’t stand the game???

Archived