Early Signing Period Starts Tomorrow

Anyone else interest in the early signing period starting tomorrow?  I love the idea and I think it can really benefit IU.  Get some of these guys signed now that in previous years have been flipped I see as an asset.

On the flip side any kid that doesn’t sign tomorrow you have to wonder why not?  Looking for better offers?  Potentially feeling they may have gotten recruited over by another commit?  The class looks solid right now if it holds.  Figured we can use this thread to discuss commits tomorrow and follow who does and does not sign.

Just now, iuthruandthru said:

Anyone else interest in the early signing period starting tomorrow?  I love the idea and I think it can really benefit IU.  Get some of these guys signed now that in previous years have been flipped I see as an asset.

On the flip side any kid that doesn’t sign tomorrow you have to wonder why not?  Looking for better offers?  Potentially feeling they may have gotten recruited over by another commit?  The class looks solid right now if it holds.  Figured we can use this thread to discuss commits tomorrow and follow who does and does not sign.

One thing I saw was that Indiana can only have a certain number of recruits sign tomorrow. I e heard 21 and 22 but both people who said those said they could be wrong so we could have kids wait to sign in februarry that we know are locks but I’m excited to see what happens and to see if Penix the QB from Tampa commits or not

Yes, I’m very interested.  It looks like we have a decent class, and are adding talent at positions of need.  I like the positions and talent they’ve hit.  Can’t wait to see the final roll call.  

I especially like the speed on defense.  A couple of athletic LB are coming, and a couple of good corners.  We are getting safeties every year.  We already have some ends with burst.  We have a chance to be fast on D over the next couple of years   

The other big thing is two impact running backs.  I think we are going to run the rock really well.  Should be night and day.  

And we are rounding out other positions effectively with good, athletic talent.    

Kudos to Coach Allen and staff.  I like their approach on who they tried to get in terms of type of players.  You can see Coach Allen has tremendous contacts in Indiana and Florida, and elsewhere in the South, as we continue to rip in Tenn and Georgia.  Coach Allen is also very opportunistic as he is fluid enough to get a guy like Penix who broke free late.  But, most importantly, he was able to seal the deal and finish.  

I feel like we are balancing our classes and we won't have gaping holes and improved depth.  Our roster should be more balanced next year than it was this year.  If I have a concern, it's probably LB where I don't know how ready some of our youth will be.

37 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

IU signed a kicker just not sure if that’s the one

It is: http://usatodayhss.com/2017/indiana-commit-charles-campbell-receives-army-bowl-jersey and he signed. Prep/Personal: Kicker and punter for head coach Michael Stroup at University School of Jackson ... 2017 Tennessee Mr. Football finalist (kicker) ... three-time district kicker of the year and two time all-state selection ... U.S. Army All-American invited to the 2018 U.S. Army All-American Bowl ... 2017 Underclassman Challenge Field Goal Champion and 2016 Midwest Showcase Field Goal Champion ... carded 237 career points with a long field goal of 50 yards ... recorded a career-long punt of 61 yards and landed 12 inside the 20-yard line as a senior ... 2015 first team Kohl's All-American ... ranked the No. 5 kicker nationally by Rivals and the No. 31 prospect in Tennessee by ESPN ... all-state soccer standout.

Man getting Penix is big.  He is enrolling for spring and I think he has a great chance to push the other qbs.  This guy was a 7A qb for a solid team in Florida.  Interested to see how he compares to Ramsey, Tronti (2A Florida mr football), and a proven 5A QB in Taylor.  Also wonder how the vision for the offense will play a role in who is the QB next year.  I am not sold on Ramsey as the preset starter next year though he obviously has a leg up due to the this me he got on field this year.

26 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Man getting Penix is big.  He is enrolling for spring and I think he has a great chance to push the other qbs.  This guy was a 7A qb for a solid team in Florida.  Interested to see how he compares to Ramsey, Tronti (2A Florida mr football), and a proven 5A QB in Taylor.  Also wonder how the vision for the offense will play a role in who is the QB next year.  I am not sold on Ramsey as the preset starter next year though he obviously has a leg up due to the this me he got on field this year.

6A for RT

9 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

This is incorrect.  Soccer used to be A and 2A, but just recently added 3A this past year.  However let’s get back to the topic at hand...

No it's not, reread what I said.. the only sport with MORE than 4 is football.. and yeah sure, let's get back to the topic... 

I caught Coach Allen’s press conference on YouTube while I was driving home.  I recommend it.  He sounded very smart.  He talked about the emphasis on speed on defense and how he felt that is something we really needed.  Music to my ears.  The one news flash was that it sounded like Stevie Scott may play LB or RB and that will get worked out when the coaches get with him.  If I misheard that, please feel free to let me know.   

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I caught Coach Allen’s press conference on YouTube while I was driving home.  I recommend it.  He sounded very smart.  He talked about the emphasis on speed on defense and how he felt that is something we really needed.  Music to my ears.  The one news flash was that it sounded like Stevie Scott may play LB or RB and that will get worked out when the coaches get with him.  If I misheard that, please feel free to let me know.   

I heard it as well. They said they didn't know where he'd start out. 

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?utm_source=247Sports&utm_medium=ExternalEmbed&utm_campaign=TeamRankings

Per 24/7 our recruiting class comes in 41st nationally, 10th in the B1G , one spot behind Rutgers. However this only shows us signing 22 so the late extra signing may have jumped us a spot or two.

We are rated ahead of Nebraska (new coach, late start) Purdue, Northwestern and Illinois.

Surprising to see Maryland at 18. Minnesota at 30 surprised me as well.

On the other hand, Wisconsin is only rated 37th, They will undoubtedly outperform that ranking.

Archived