Texas Game Thread

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Indykev said:

TJD has to start making lay ups for this team to win games. How he goes the team goes. He looks like his puppy died after every trip down the court. no fire.

i was actually looking at it the other way.  i was glad that he doesn't seem to get upset, argue, pout, etc.  i don't think even keeled is a bad thing.  he celebrates and shows emotion when he makes a big play.

13 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

If we win its all sunshine and puppies and if we lose it all doom and gloom.  No middle ground.  The fanbase is pretty one side or the other

At least, it matters to me how we lose games. Sure it looks like we're going to lose this game, but it matters whether our team really shows up in the second half and battles with efforts and passion. A loss is a loss, but at least our team's gotta lose a game with dignity. I don't believe kids really learn anything from a beatdown, 20-point blowout loss; it just kills their confidence. 

Just now, IU Scott said:

Where has the pure shooters went in college basketball.  You use to have guys like Alford and Dennis Scott who when they shot you expected it to go in.  You were shocked when it didn't go in and now you are shocked when someone hits a 3.

they're out there, but they aren't wearing INDIANA on their uniform.  

Texas guards are doing a good job stopping our guards.  If IU can't pass then IU tries to penetrate but also get stopped doing that.  Credit to Texas defense.

IU needs set plays and screens.  Would be nice to get a rebound.  Neither TJD nor Race are finishing shots.  Where are the three's?

Just now, IU Scott said:

Where has the pure shooters went in college basketball.  You use to have guys like Alford and Dennis Scott who when they shot you expected it to go in.  You were shocked when it didn't go in and now you are shocked when someone hits a 3.

I still attribute it to the way kids are allowed to play defense nowadays...The game is too physical now...

That said, the Cunningham kid for Texas kinda filled "pure shooter" bill didn't he?

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

if we play the defense we played in the first half, rebound better, and just make better offensive decisions and easy shots, we could still win this thing for sure.  that's a lot of things, but pretty simple things that are possible for this team.  so frustrating.  

Execution is the thing...right now we are getting executed.

3 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

True but neither Crean nor any of the players he coached are on this team.

No, not saying that.  More a commentary on why the fanbase is so hot and cold.  We have had a decade plus of teams, under different coaches, who look like world beaters one game and then the next look like they would have a hard time beating a good HS team (that's hyperbole...but you get the point.)

I think much of that revolves around not having a sound offensive system.  The weave and dribble drive are only effective when you have the players to run them.  We usually do not...not consistently.  I know he is a Hall of Famer but Knight had a system that allowed him to win 20 games when Will Gladness and Larry Richardson were his centers.  We have a Top 50 candidate, several veterans, and quite a bit of Top 150 talent and we still rely on "hopefully we shoot well".  Relying on that for your offense is what leads to these wild swings.  When you shoot well, you win and when you don't, you lose.

I think we are already losing recruits because of this style.

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'd say the message board side of our fanbase agrees with you. I like seeing teams win, develop, battle back from bad halves like just saw....all part of a season of hoops. Some of these guys going off the rails this early? Seems almost to be a mental issue. 

Its just the difference in how fan react.  I am tired of the same stuff every year with this team and staff.  I personally don't see any team, coach or player growth so i get disheartened and tent to be more critical and pessimistic even when we win.  I have a hard time being a cheerleader when we're putting it to a subpar team and i tend to still look for the flaws.  I wasn't always like this toward IU but i have become more and more critical of them as the years go on.

But don't get me wrong.  Just because i am critical of them and find flaws when they are there, i still enjoy it when we win and i am not nearly as upset when we lose, so  have become more balanced

Archived