Texas Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just tired of us not having guys that can knock down open looks. Really tired. I know you can’t have a team full of unathletic shooters but it’s clear you can’t have the opposite. I like who we have...kids are great but I’m seeing a trend that we just either don’t value the shooting or we can’t land it. 3 years to recruit a knock down shooter and we haven’t landed a 1...and next year looks the same with one big....and while Aminu would be an awesome get....he isn’t a knock down shooter either. We can’t win a B1G championship by only scoring in the paint. Unless we start loading up on some Zions that just ain’t going to work. That’s my two cents...and unfortunately our best shooter is likely out multiple games now...going to be a rough patch here guys...hold on tight.

3 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

had to pull some strings, but i got some actual footage of our pregame shoot around:

But he is from Indiana so hey!! Local kid....so glad we got him instead of all those selfish kids that just put the ball in the bucket instead of playing team ball and helping our guys improve their offensive rebounding.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

But he is from Indiana so hey!! Local kid....so glad we got him instead of all those selfish kids that just put the ball in the bucket instead of playing team ball and helping our guys improve their offensive rebounding.

Doesnt seem like it would be that hard to find a Jordan Hulls.

34 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

In contrast, Crean would land several top 100 guys but failed to build depth. I can give you all kinds of examples of top college team that win this way but I'm sure you can pull them up.

There were a ton of issues with Crean but there is no denying that he started with a team whose leading returning player was walk-on Kyle Tabor....Kyle Tabor.  In his 4th year we were 11-7 in the BT and made it to the sweet 16. I’m guessing nearly all of the fan base would be happy if Archie could somehow match Crean’s year 4 results.

Just now, IU Scott said:

We get Stanford with them losing 67-63 to UNC.  Didn't watch al of it but it is surprising that UNC just scored 67 points and won. Typically they are one of the top scoring teams in the country but they do have an all freshman backcourt.

The Anthony Leal recruiting finalist consolation prize.

53 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Just because people aren't enamored with Miller doesn't mean they want Smart as a coach. Also, IU and Miller just got blown out by Smart and Texas so is Smart's mediocre record at UT really the defense of Miller you seem to think it is?

BTW, how bad is their conference that 9-9 was good enough to tie for 3rd?

Someone in here mentioned Smart as “the next best option”

18 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Texas has a basketball brand??!!!

It's an overall athletics brand but, yeah...biggest athletic budget, by far...The Longhorn Network (not some tawdry conference network) beautiful facilities...

Plus, Texas does turn out its fair share of college basketball players, and good ones. 10 of the 15 kids on UT's roster today are from Texas, including 6 top 100 kids. 

So yeah...Maybe not individually in basketball against Kentucky and Duke, but they have one of the bigger overall athletics brands.

52 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Look. Stevens is not coming to IU at this point.  I get that.  It does not change the fact that IU screwed the pooch when they didn't jump on him BEFORE he went to the Celtics.  

Completely agree with you. Wishful thinking in me still hopes for Brad Steven’s. At this time the only way I would agree to cut ties with CAM would be if Brad Steven’s came calling. 

I didn't get to see much of it, but what I did see and the boxscore is pretty ugly. Having said that.... one game, and the first two were very encouraging. 

Two games didn't make me think we were a national title contender, one game doesn't make me think the sky is falling.

I still think this team and program are taking another step forward this year. 

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It's an overall athletics brand but, yeah...biggest athletic budget, by far...The Longhorn Network (not some tawdry conference network) beautiful facilities...

Plus, Texas does turn out its fair share of college basketball players, and good ones. 10 of the 15 kids on UT's roster today are from Texas, including 6 top 100 kids. 

So yeah...Maybe not individually in basketball against Kentucky and Duke, but they have one of the bigger overall athletics brands.

Thanks...first I heard. I know Barnes had some solid seasons there but just didn’t recall seeing the conference titles they won over Kansas or final fours. I think Shaka has sold that program to the kids...not the program selling Shaka.

27 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Lots of overreacting about one game. What stood out to me was that neither Trayce or Race were strong enough to handle the length and strength of the Texas bigs. This was a game where Brunk would have helped out... if for no other reason, he would have occupied the UT 5 and given the other two better matchups.

On to the next one. The season is long, and certainly not measured by one game 

Exactly. The second we lose we suddenly don’t have talented players. Oh well 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I didn't get to see much of it, but what I did see and the boxscore is pretty ugly. Having said that.... one game, and the first two were very encouraging. 

Two games didn't make me think we were a national title contender, one game doesn't make me think the sky is falling.

I still think this team and program are taking another step forward this year. 

Is this sarcasm?  :coffee:

Wow! Bad loss to Texas. What is even more troubling to me is that we continuously lack any ability to hit long range shots consistently. Playing hard nosed defense is great... but if you can’t put the ball in the hoop it’s pointless. What is even more staggering — is I believe — all these scholarship players on our team are consensus top 150 players or pretty close to it...many of whom are from the State of Indiana. How do we lack the ability to hit an open shot? Throw the 4 star or 5 star ratings away. I take no joy in saying this, but I’m confident I could beat these guys in a game of HORSE. At this point we MUST get a shooter.   Who cares if they’re not highly ranked. I take a look at some of these kids on other teams that were 3 stars but sure as hell could shoot the ball. We have to pick one up in this next recruiting cycle whether that be through high school or graduate transfer. This is what we need - hell, go the DII route if you have to — like Belien — and try and find the next Duncan Robinson. As I’m literally typing this, I remind myself that we have Anthony Leal who is an excellent shooter. Even if he’s not ready for meaningful minutes, I would still strongly urge CAM to get him on the floor and run some set plays for him where we put him in a position to knock down shots. If we do this he will build confidence. Again, we can play all the defense we want, but if we can’t shoot the ball we give ourselves little chance to win the game. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Is this sarcasm?  :coffee:

No, I was serious. I just waited three hours until after the game to post. 

I had to take my dog to the vet, he sustained a pretty bad injury from being struck by something about 4 hours ago, it's why I only saw a little of the game. 

EDIT: this was a not funny joke, my dog is fine. He does have to go get his anap glands expressed, but he was not harmed by me watching the game. 

3 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Completely agree with you. Wishful thinking in me still hopes for Brad Steven’s. At this time the only way I would agree to cut ties with CAM would be if Brad Steven’s came calling. 

I even look at a guy like Chris Beard who is from the RMK coaching tree and think why would he come here.  He took TT to the championship game so it is proven he can win there.  He can live off of that run for a long time at tT and as long as he stays competitive he has great job security.  Why would he leave that to come to a place where if in 3 years he has not proven to compete at a high level he will be getting heat from the fans.  I would think he would stay right where he is where he knows he can win and don't have the pressure with that job.  Also his offense is not that much better than what we are and he is mainly a defensive coach as well.

7 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I’d take a few coaches but it won’t happen because of how much to buy them out plus buy out Archie...say a coach like Dana Altman or similar ilk.

1 hour ago, Andy06 said:

You can't be serious.   Crean inherited walkon Kyle Tabor as the only returning production. 

Archie had 4 different 4* recruits on the roster.   Year 3 he was firmly on the bubble.   Year 4 doesn't look any different.   I am not sure why that is acceptable, unless as a fan base we have adjusted the goalposts that we are thrilled with being one of the best 68 teams in the country. 

Brad Brownell at the basketball juggernaut of Clemson has beaten Purdue more than Archie has.

Fine, he had slightly better crap. Inherited Juwan Morgan and Robert Johnson along with a bunch of crap. I hope you’re not trying to get at that roster being ANYWHERE near acceptable? What guys were 4 star recruits in 17-18? Robert Johnson, Justin Smith (real winner there), and who else?  Morgan was a 3. You talking about an injury riddled Hartman? Who was a role player at best. Who else? Sure, a slight stretch but the ‘17-‘18 roster was awful. 

Year 3, he was firmly on the bubble.... I think most agree they were in the tournament. Regardless in year 3 he was on the bubble according to you and in year 4 we’re pissed after 3 games? Kidding me? Did you want a Sweet 16 appearance in year 3 after having that crap of a roster in year 1? That would have been a miracle in the making. Some of you guys need to get real. I want to win as bad as anybody, but I certainly didn’t expect a serious tournament run in year 3. If you did, I’d love to hear how you expected those first three years to be built better to lend to that. Matter of fact, put a resume together at the same time! And this isn’t about excuses because I’ll be calling for CAM’s head in a couple years if we’re still spinning our wheels. This is about being realistic.

2 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Wow! Bad loss to Texas. What is even more troubling to me is that we continuously lack any ability to hit long range shots consistently. Playing hard nosed defense is great... but if you can’t put the ball in the hoop it’s pointless. What is even more staggering — is I believe — all these scholarship players on our team our consensus top 150 players or pretty close to it...many of whom are from the State of Indiana. How do we lack the ability to hit an open shot? Throw the 4 star or 5 star ratings away. I take no joy in saying this, but I’m confident I could beat these guys in a game of HORSE. At this point we MUST get a shooter.   Who cares if they’re not highly ranked. I take a look at some of these kids on other teams that were 3 stars but sure as hell could shoot the ball. We have to pick one up in this next recruiting cycle whether that be through high school or graduate transfer. This is what we need - hell, go the DII route if you have to — like Belien — and try and find the next Duncan Robinson. As I’m literally typing this, I remind myself that we have Anthony Leal who is an excellent shooter. Even if he’s not ready for meaningful minutes, I would still strongly urge CAM to get him on the floor and run some set plays for him where we put him in a position to knock down shots. If we do this he will build confidence. Again, we can play all the defense we want, but if we can’t shoot the ball we give ourselves little chance to win the game. 

I am more worried about all the close in shots we miss over the 3 pointers we miss.  If we would have hit the shots inside 5 feet and the ones right at the basket we would have been in the game.

Archived