Parker Stewart (Transfer) Commits to Indiana

gnet550

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

Are you indicating that he isn't playing this year?

Not sure what SS is hearing. Just read a Peegs article that said this:

"There's an open question of whether we'll see him play in the current season once he has officially enrolled at Indiana for the upcoming semester. Normally that would be complicated by giving eligibility, but the pandemic means nobody is using up eligibility this season."

I don't see a downside....even if he doesn't get much playing time. No loss in eligibility and an open roster spot. 

38 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Ranked where if we recruited/landed him out of HS people would have complained...

image.png.5d4ff26242743817128a7bdfc56d7e97.png

Franklin was a 3* too, correct?  And already in his soph year he’s one of IUs most reliable and best guards. 

So - kudos to Archie and staff for eyeing talent and developing kids so far  

Oh and rankings are probably garbage. 

"I just feel like it's a good fit overall, and the tradition at the school I just couldn't overlook," Stewart told ESPN on Tuesday. "I have known [assistant coach Kenya] Hunter for awhile now; he recruited me at Nebraska while I was in high school and when I left Pitt. I feel me and him have a good relationship and that I can trust him, and my father thought highly of him as well.

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

as always i am interested in who else wanted him and seeing Memphis, Arkansas, Kansas St. isn't exactly Duke, KY, etc., but certainly not bad.  i'm cautiously optimistic...  BTW - with Parker and if Joey comes back next year, we are definitely getting old!

When's the last time we've heard this? Seems in years past it was always, "we're too young"!

24 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Franklin was a 3* too, correct?  And already in his soph year he’s one of IUs most reliable and best guards. 

You know those articles "Redrafting the 20xx Class" ? 

Has anybody ever come across any similar articles but for high school rankings? "Re-ranking the 20xx Class"? Just thought it'd be some interesting content for some sports media outlet or blogger to put out. 

Good news: He has played against size and athleticism in the ACC and had some success. A coaches son and should understand fundamentals. Size for his position. Possible shooting threat ahead of what is on the team now. A lot of eligibility left. No issues in the classroom. Motivated.

Uncertain (not bad) News: Haven't seen a thing about his ability to defend. Where does he fit in with a crunch of guards? To the last point - if he has to wait until next year he can step in for AD as a veteran.

Considering IU's misses in the 2021 class this is a good option to turn to. He will have a chance to succeed and help the team. 

7 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

You know those articles "Redrafting the 20xx Class" ? 

Has anybody ever come across any similar articles but for high school rankings? "Re-ranking the 20xx Class"? Just thought it'd be some interesting content for some sports media outlet or blogger to put out. 

With hindsight now, the correct capsule line for (Steph) Curry should have been, “2 Star Body; 3Star Recruit; 5 Star Player.” Certainly, Curry’s rise from 2006 to 2015 MVP is an exceptional story but after 3 years at Davidson, averaging 21.5, 25.9 and 29.6 and leading the Southern Conference Wildcats to an NCAA Elite 8, he quickly proved he wasn’t the 3 Star player at all. Before he even played a game, McKillop was quoted widely, “Wait until you see Steph Curry. He’s something special.”

So, if there are lessons to be learned in this saga, what are they?

1. Most High School rankings are formulated by one evaluator and that individual wouldn’t have seen all the players in person.
2. Size and athletic looks go a long way- often too far.
3. A ranking is only a “snapshot in time”.
4. The early recruiting process tends to overlook a lot of players-especially late bloomers, undersized players and ‘tweeners”.
5. Never underestimate the son of a “player”. (One example is John Beilein’s success with under recruited, Tim Hardaway Jr., Glenn Robinson III and Jon Horford.) The pedigree means added value.
6. Recruiting by the rankings doesn’t always account for the intangibles, individual upside and team chemistry. (Bo Ryan’s recruiting style comes to mind here.)

https://www.hoopcoach.org/steph-curry-3-star-recruit-5-star-player/

54 minutes ago, Bustout said:

true, but Frankin was a 3 star ranked around the 150 mark rather than 273.  not that i think Stewart is a bad pickup though.  

14 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I hope that Parker comes this year - even if it is just to practice with the team.

totally agree.  just really no downside with this year not counting as a year of eligibility anyway.  as long as his minutes are eased in and he's okay with it, the main things is learning his teammates and CAMs system.  i honestly don't think the pack line is all that tough to learn.  obviously he's played plenty of MM defense.  just have to change some instincts on not playing passing lanes, exaggerated help side, etc.    

Looking at his per 40 minutes numbers, one thing stands out to me...

PS.PNG.e5153c95419356a108e452b5989ee09a.PNG

Parker's assist and turnover numbers went way up at UT Martin (while everything else remained pretty steady) which suggests to me he was their primary ball handler...more of a point guard than a 2 (which, looking at his highlights, I think he'd not only be more accustomed to playing the 2, and better suited for as well)...He won't be asked to do that much at IU with the players we already have, and I think that'll be a boon to the other parts of his game...

Archived