Parker Stewart (Transfer) Commits to Indiana

gnet550

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, rico said:

This kid play for Pitt?

Yes transfered to play for his dad who died a couple weeks ago. Kid had a green light playing for his dad (avg about 15 shots a game). Level of competition dropped significantly in OVC vs ACC. Don’t think he is an answer to any of our needs but the kid has had a rough couple weeks and hope it all turns out well for him!

33 minutes ago, dgambill said:

My hope is this kid isn’t a fall back because we are missing on Aminu. I know we will likely need another guard next year and while he has decent size I just am not sure he is answer to our shooting problems.

AM is not the answer to IU's shooting woes either.

12 hours ago, BDB said:

AM is not the answer to IU's shooting woes either.

Nope. I mean I’d say this kid is a better 3pt shooter but I don’t know how he would fit into our program. Kid left Pitt so he could be the star and have the offense tailored to him. I feel awful about his father passing and maybe that would change his expectations of how he wants to be coached but hard to know. I know he tried to go pro last year but smartly decided to return to school. Just not sure a return to major college basketball after running to the OVC to get away from superior competition is going to be a good end result for him either.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Just not sure a return to major college basketball after running to the OVC to get away from superior competition is going to be a good end result for him either.

Not sure this is an accurate portrayal that he left to get away from superior competition. He did well at Pitt. However, that team lost their last 17 games under Stallings. Maybe he wanted to play for his Dad in a more positive environment.

Parker Stewart, who emerged as one of the brightest young men's basketball stars in the Atlantic Coast Conference last season at the University of Pittsburgh, is furthering his career at the University of Tennessee at Martin.

Stewart, whose father Anthony just wrapped up his second season as the head coach of the Skyhawk men's basketball program, will sit out the 2018-19 season due to NCAA transfer rules. The 6-5, 205-pound shooting guard will be eligible as a sophomore at UT Martin in 2019-20.

"Anytime you can get a player of Parker's character and ability, it automatically injects excitement to our program," Anthony Stewart said. "I'm elated for our program, university and community that Parker chose us with so many options on the table. Being Parker's father gives me the unique and special opportunity to help him reach his dreams and goals as a Skyhawk."

Stewart ranked second in the ACC in three-point field goal percentage (.425) in conference play, knocking down 2.7 trifectas per contest (fifth-best mark in the league). He ranked second on Pitt's squad in scoring in ACC play at 10.8 points per game while playing in all 32 games with 20 starts in 2017-18.

Overall, Stewart averaged 9.1 points per game while sinking 38.6 percent of his three-point attempts (71-for-184). He also shot an even 80 percent (40-of-50) from the free throw line and hauled in 3.3 rebounds over 26.2 minutes per contest. He set a new school record for most three-pointers by a freshman (71), which was only three shy of ranking in the program's top-10 list for most treys in a single season.

Stewart tallied 16 double-digit scoring performances during his freshman season, including a 23-point outburst at Syracuse on Jan. 16. In that game, he drilled seven trifectas – which ranks as the sixth-most by a freshman in the ACC's storied history – against an Orange squad that made the Sweet 16 round of the 2018 NCAA Tournament.

Stewart piled up multiple three-pointers in 20 games in 2017-18, including 10 of the final 11 games of the season. He led the team in scoring on six different occasions and also paced the Panthers in rebounding seven times, including a career-best 10 rebounds at nationally ranked North Carolina on Feb. 3.

In addition, Stewart was one of only 30 players to make the 2018 All-ACC Academic Men's Basketball Team.

https://utmsports.com/news/2018/6/26/mens-basketball-highly-touted-transfer-parker-stewart-signs-to-play-for-his-father-at-ut-martin

I watched OVC play a lot with my wife a Murray St grad and the level of competition especially defensive is pretty poor.  I get he went to play with his dad but that team was TERRIBLE! Empty stats is my opinion. That team shot a ton of 3s and was a poorly coached team all around. Maybe he would be a good get...I just watched that team and it was impossible for me to tell anything because they were that bad and then he stepped way down in competition. His acc play was promising but are we getting a kid that will want to come in and be a piece of the team success or a kid that wants to be the focal point of the offense. I do think he is talented just not sure his mindset is all.

TDH article says that he's a grad transfer which is info I haven't seen here yet. So he'd be immediately eligible without need for a waiver. He'd likely get one due to his circumstances but with the NCAA that's never a given but no worries since he's a grad transfer.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-names-to-know-graduate-transfer-guard-parker-stewart/

6 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

TDH article says that he's a grad transfer which is info I haven't seen here yet. So he'd be immediately eligible without need for a waiver. He'd likely get one due to his circumstances but with the NCAA that's never a given but no worries since he's a grad transfer.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-names-to-know-graduate-transfer-guard-parker-stewart/

Important to note he indeed has his degree and I believe just finished his masters this fall. Academically seems pretty strong.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Important to note he indeed has his degree and I believe just finished his masters this fall. Academically seems pretty strong.

Still has two years of eligibility and his freshman highlight that was in the other thread looks good.  What I liked was that he was not hesitant to shoot once he got the ball.  He was ready to shoot and shot right when he got the ball instead of hesitating.

57 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

As an aside, I see Nebraska has offered him. It seems they offer every transfer I've looked at for the last couple of years. Does Fred Hoiberg just automatically offer every D1 player in the portal? 

That was Fred's MO at Iowa State as well...lots and lots of transfers.

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

His dad died and yes he just finished his masters...can’t see why he wouldn’t get a release.

9 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That was Fred's MO at Iowa State as well...lots and lots of transfers.

Honestly it makes sense because think how hard it is to win a top recruit for a Nebraska or Iowa St. A second bite at the apple for some of these kids that either outperform their program or have coaching changes or fall out of favor makes a lot of sense.

1 hour ago, cybergates said:

and a Coach's son. I'd have to think he would be a great get.

My only fear is playing with house money and free reign under his dad could create bad habits and some entitlement...but the kid is talented there is no doubt about that. Would he accept the role though...because he isn’t going to have the offense keys handed to him and he isn’t playing 38 mins a game. He wanted to go to the nba...will his role on our team allow him to do that? Questions remain. For this year I think he would have to sit back because he doesn’t know the defense etc...and you know Archie isn’t going to take out Armaan or Al to give  minutes to a kid that ain’t playing at the defensive end...but next year Als minutes could be up for grabs.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

His dad died and yes he just finished his masters...can’t see why he wouldn’t get a release.

Like I said, he probably would but the NCAA isn't known for consistency when granting waivers. I've seen them inexplicably deny waivers for some players that they grant to many others. My point is that as a grad transfer that isn't even a worry.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

My only fear is playing with house money and free reign under his dad could create bad habits and some entitlement...but the kid is talented there is no doubt about that. Would he accept the role though...because he isn’t going to have the offense keys handed to him and he isn’t playing 38 mins a game. He wanted to go to the nba...will his role on our team allow him to do that? Questions remain. For this year I think he would have to sit back because he doesn’t know the defense etc...and you know Archie isn’t going to take out Armaan or Al to give  minutes to a kid that ain’t playing at the defensive end...but next year Als minutes could be up for grabs.

Didn't look but was he ranked very high or ranked at all

Archived