Stanford Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Please explain how the wins and losses I just posted aren’t basketball numbers 

Davis won more than Archie did in his 1st 2 years, no?  Metrics is W-L's.  Don't care how you get there...the more W's=success.  

1 hour ago, Hippopotamo said:

In what world does the last 3 years not show improvement in the wins and losses category:

16-15: no tournament

19-16: NIT tournament berth

20-12: certain NCAA tournament berth

I think this year’s team also looks way better than last year, and the early metrics back that up. 

Facts

21 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Admittedly, I didn't watch it so it sounds like my assumption about quitting was wrong.  Just hard to imagine hustling for 40 minutes and only scoring 44 points.  Just couldn't throw it in the ocean I guess.  That's at least partly mental, although Texas apparently plays pretty good defense at least against IU.  Davidson, not as much so.  

We missed some good shots, Texas played good defense and limited our good shots, and they pressured us and we never got into a groove where things ran the way they did in our other 3 games. The last one is for sure something we need to improve on. 

23 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Admittedly, I didn't watch it so it sounds like my assumption about quitting was wrong.  Just hard to imagine hustling for 40 minutes and only scoring 44 points.  Just couldn't throw it in the ocean I guess.  That's at least partly mental, although Texas apparently plays pretty good defense at least against IU.  Davidson, not as much so.  

Didn't somebody post a shoot and miss vs Texas video by @coachadragna? I looked all over for it, but can't find it...

A lot were under duress, but up close, makeable shots...

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Again if this keeps up and not your standards what are you going to do about.  The best way to show your unhappiness is not to go to games or stop watching them.  Stop spending money on merchandise and even going to message boards to talk about the team.  All of this shows you still care so how is just bitching about it on a message board going to change anything.

None of us are happy where we are going into this season but some of us is willing to see how it plays out before judging this team.  I am not worried about what will happen next year or the year after that because we can't see the future.  We have no idea what teams will have major injuries or players leaving early for the draft.  Every year teams will have departures that no one is expecting.  Why keep worrying about things that we have no control over like what we might look like in a year or two.  Try to enjoy the present and get consumed by negativity.

I live in Florida. I can’t go to ball games. I am not an alum nor a donor so my opinion doesn’t matter. I can stop buying merchandise I suppose but I it’s probably been 3 years since I bought anything IU related. I can write a letter I suppose. We still have a long season to go. I’ll wait to see how we improve and it plays out. But doesn’t stop me from seeing what I see now and forming an opinion. The board here is to discuss our views of the team. I see positivity and I enjoy college basketball but I’m not going to sugar coat what I see. I want to be wrong..and I hope I am but I’m not going to stop having an opinion just because you don’t like it. I don’t like your opinion of college athletes changing their lives by going pro early but you are free to have it.

5 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Then why did people complain when Crwan had a cupcake schedule? He got wins?

Who wins and losses come against absolutely matters. As does the strength of you conference. 

So how come people point to the overall record and that we are improving w/l instead of looking at the B1G record/finish and we are getting worse? I think this is the rub I have. We are finishing worse each year in the B1G...that is my measuring stick not that we have loaded up on cupcakes in the non conference so we got an extra win or two over last year. I still think we should improve in the B1G this year. I won’t be happy with a similar finish as last year. I don’t want to hear about moral victories. This is big boy basketball not bitty ball. 

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

So how come people point to the overall record and that we are improving w/l instead of looking at the B1G record/finish and we are getting worse? I think this is the rub I have. We are finishing worse each year in the B1G...that is my measuring stick not that we have loaded up on cupcakes in the non conference so we got an extra win or two over last year. I still think we should improve in the B1G this year. I won’t be happy with a similar finish as last year. I don’t want to hear about moral victories. This is big boy basketball not bitty ball. 

I think NCAA seeding is the better measure of a season's success. Not that the committee is infallible, but they at least account for SoS. We went from no post season, to high seed in the NIT to for sure in the NCAA, so we have clearly improved every year. For this year, I am hoping for a respectable seed - I'm not going to define exactly what the means, but not on the bubble is important.

So what I gather from most of the recent posts is that SOS does not matter, CAM’s incremental progress isn’t quick enough or good enough, recruiting is in the dumps, and we can’t shoot. We’re 3-1 with two solid wins and a loss to a top 10-15 team and the constant discussion since the season started is doomsday crap. And the “concerned” criticizers are the ones talking about Indiana basketball fans thinking they are entitled and know everything. 🤔 Can’t wait to see what this board looks like after a trip to a really solid Fla St team next Wed. Losing to a ranked team on the road could spell even further doom for CAM’s popularity on message boards. 

15 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Then why did people complain when Crean had a cupcake schedule? He got wins?

Who wins and losses come against absolutely matters. As does the strength of you conference. 

One thing i can say has been consistent about the fanbase and our coaches, we have always complained about the cupcakes schedules, both under CAM and CTC.  Its something we have done for like 15 years now.  That might always be our fault not getting invited too or accepting invitations to play in tournaments with tougher teams.  It seams Maui is always our tough schedule year. 

9 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

So what I gather from most of the recent posts is that SOS does not matter, CAM’s incremental progress isn’t quick enough or good enough, recruiting is in the dumps, and we can’t shoot. We’re 3-1 with two solid wins and a loss to a top 10-15 team and the constant discussion since the season started is doomsday crap. And the “concerned” criticizers are the ones talking about Indiana basketball fans thinking they are entitled and know everything. 🤔 Can’t wait to see what this board looks like after a trip to a really solid Fla St team next Wed. Losing to a ranked team on the road could spell even further doom for CAM’s popularity on message boards. 

We can always count on you @kyhoosier29to come in and pick and choose a few select comments from 13 pages of discussion and make it fit your narrative.  Well done.  Trolling 101.  You should teach a class on it.  Best bait i have seen so far in the discussion.

18 hours ago, Hippopotamo said:

I guess I’m sort of confused what everyone is so upset about with this team. By every advanced metric this team has improved every single year, and recruiting has been great in the first 3 years. I’d much rather nurture a slower, more consistent improvement than what Crean had with the highest of highs and lowest of lows. I’d rather make the tournament every year and be in contention most years with a consistent approach, and I think that’s what we’re currently getting. I don’t think constant improvement should be concerning until it stops happening way too early, and I don’t think we’re there yet. Being excited about this year’s team doesn’t mean being content with mediocrity. It means being happy with where we are in year 4 while also expecting years 5, 6, 7 and 8 to be even better. 

I always thought they said Crean’s rebuild took longer because he was doing things the right way?

Just now, BDB said:

I always thought they said Crean’s rebuild took longer because he was doing things the right way?

Crean’s rebuild did take longer but he was also starting from nothing. Once Zeller and Oladipo left it was either miss the tournament or win the big ten. There was no stability after 2013 outside of Yogi and the product showed. I don’t miss the days of 50% roster turnover every year and 6 man recruiting classes where 4 of them transfer after a year or 2. 

16 hours ago, dgambill said:

But doesn’t stop me from seeing what I see now and forming an opinion.

And what is that? Picking one game out of the four we've played and totally basing your opinion on that?

Have you seen anything from this team that encourages you?

2 hours ago, BDB said:

i was definitely ready to get rid of Crean, but i definitely think he was the right guy for the job at the time and commend him for taking a program from absolute bottom to respectability again.  he was just not the guy to get us where our expectations are.  is CAM?  i hope so.  

6 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

We can always count on you @kyhoosier29to come in and pick and choose a few select comments from 13 pages of discussion and make it fit your narrative.  Well done.  Trolling 101.  You should teach a class on it.  Best bait i have seen so far in the discussion.

Oh okay, you “can always count on” me. I’ll wait for other examples. ?? Please reference me when you do so I know you found other examples.  Pretty damn stupid comment to call me a troll. Better than being a clown I guess. 

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Oh okay, you “can always count on” me. I’ll wait for other examples. ?? Please reference me when you do so I know you found other examples.  Pretty damn stupid comment to call me a troll. Better than being a clown I guess. 

IA versus KY in an early season showdown. 

Archived