Wisconsin Postgame Thread

KDB

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

@btownqb I have harped on the O-line all season. Today, they proved you right and were a major reason why we won. Great job providing a push for the running game and great job on pass pro.

Hats off to the O-line... the unsung heroes of this game 

I just think we have a whole lot of kids who compete. I think we're well coached.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I just think we have a whole lot of kids who compete. I think we're well coached.  

I have not seen a game all year where I thought we were out coached.  We may have had a talent disparity a time or two, but we were never out coached not even OSU.  If the talent gap narrows as I expect it to, we are going to be a beast.

• Like 1

Been watching Hoosier football since let's say 85. That's the first game vs a top program and top 20 team where I said to myself.....great....we'll give you the ball and we'll shove it down your face. Our defense gang. Seriously. Someone remind me how many we have coming back again? 

My buddy from IU when Tuttle went out for a second texted and said IDGAF....this team is deep and really believes in the mantra of next guy up. We know it's cliche but man...6-1 beat the everlasting balls out of the $6M man up north next week....head to Florida for a bowl game and cheer on our Hoosiers in person.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Been watching Hoosier football since let's say 85. That's the first game vs a top program and top 20 team where I said to myself.....great....we'll give you the ball and we'll shove it down your face. Our defense gang. Seriously. Someone remind me how many we have coming back again? 

My buddy from IU when Tuttle went out for a second texted and said IDGAF....this team is deep and really believes in the mantra of next guy up. We know it's cliche but man...6-1 beat the everlasting balls out of the $6M man up north next week....head to Florida for a bowl game and cheer on our Hoosiers in person.

In a normal year, it would have been Jerome Johnson, Ziemba, Swann, and Layne. So we're going to return a ton.

We really need to hold on to Wommack for at least 1 more year. We could be really special again next year.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

In a normal year, it would have been Jerome Johnson, Ziemba, Swann, and Layne. So we're going to return a ton.

We really need to hold on to Wommack for at least 1 more year. We could be really special again next year.

Hopefully we will see Lewis.on the DL next year

3 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I am kind of surprised we haven't seen him, but our DTs have been pretty stout. I saw Lewis was one of the scout team players of the week, so he must be doing some good things.

I think this year has been difficult on the young kids.. no spring ball, not a ton of camp, no 3 non conf games... we would have played a lot of kids in those 3 non conf games.  

• Like 1

That was about as complete of an IU football game I've ever seen. Offense, Defense, and Special teams.  Just an all around great game. 

I dont think I've ever seen IU football play defense like this. 

I am admittedly a defense first kind of guy and this swarming suffocating defense IU is playing is awesome.  

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 3

It seems as though IU is Allen’s dream job, rather than a stepping stone, so I hope he turns out to be our long term version of Barry Alvarez at Wiscy. Programs can definitely change as an example when I was at IU the best two chances for a conference win each year were Wisconsin and Northwestern. Hopefully Allen can sustain our rise the way Alvarez turned and kept Wiscy into a player.

Allen loves it at IU and 3.9 million a year goes pretty far in southern IN :). I wonder what the magic number is to keep him long term? We might not be all that far off now.

A lot of programs will be knocking on wommacks door. We need to find a way to keep him another year or two. I don’t remember ever hearing so many ex-player commentators, week after week, praising a DC’s scheme to such an extent, saying how he does such a good job confusing the qb’s, raving about creative ways to apply pressure and hide what the DB’s are doing. “Name brand” schools are taking notice of the IU defense, with 3 star players at a historically horrible defensive program, and will be backing up the money trucks. 

Just now, IU878176 said:

A lot of programs will be knocking on wommacks door. We need to find a way to keep him another year or two. I don’t remember ever hearing so many ex-player commentators, week after week, praising a DC’s scheme to such an extent, saying how he does such a good job confusing the qb’s, raving about creative ways to apply pressure and hide what the DB’s are doing. “Name brand” schools are taking notice of the IU defense, with 3 star players at a historically horrible defensive program, and will be backing up the money trucks. 

Thing is, with the lack of revenue due to Covid, I'm not sure the money trucks have anything in them.  Universities are hurting, and buying out and then paying a new coach my not be feasible for many.

4 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Thing is, with the lack of revenue due to Covid, I'm not sure the money trucks have anything in them.  Universities are hurting, and buying out and then paying a new coach my not be feasible for many.

Agree that the money truck list is not as long as usual but those at the top of the revenue heap have donors to make sure something like this can happen. I don’t know who needs a coordinator but places like Texas and Georgia can always find cash if the word football is involved.

Edit: a nightmare scenario would be a new UM head coach going after Wommack.

Edited by IU878176

I agree with you guys. No question, Wommack has been truly outstanding.  We’ve got a lot of athletes on D, but he’s doing this without high end edge pass rushers at this point.  He’s been scheming pressure extremely well IMO.  

His dad is a D coordinator.  You could say he was born to scheme up defense.  As young as he is, there’s no telling how far up the food chain he can go.  

Yes, we have good players but we also have an all time coaching staff in the program right now.  I’m excited to see what recruiting in the 2022 class brings as the ‘21 class is close to done. 

29 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Without any doubt they will.  I got to beleive these "young" coaches understand what opportunity Allen has given them. 

Also, got to beleive, as much as Coach W is getting credit, as he should, he is an extension of Allen's defense.  

Under Allen, IU will always emphasis defense in recruiting, coaching, style of play.  

The entire staff needs to be retained- they all want to be here, have bought into the culture, and are talented.

2020 is a strange beast. All my friends up in Chicagoland with historically a strong hatred for all things IU because of hoops/Knight are getting together on most Saturday's now to watch not only ND but tune into IU. Every single one of them just loves Allen.

Being an IU fan for 4 decades plus I never thought I would hear let alone type those words.