Investing

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

I guess it has something to do with a reddit movement???  Someone else will have to explain. 

From the little bit I was just reading, I guess there were a ton of people holding short positions expecting the price to go down.  On a subreddit that has a lot of day traders, everyone started talking about buying when someone on Twitter posted about the stock going down to $20.  There were enough people on that subreddit that once they started buying, the price started going up and all the short sellers panicked.  They couldn't get rid of their shares fast enough, so it got where everybody was trying to buy.  People who wanted to get in on the momentum, short sellers trying to close their position.  Nobody was selling, so it just took off like crazy.  Not really any reason for it other than supply and demand of the stock, but the company didn't do anything the last week to cause it.  I can't imagine it stays up at this level for long.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

From the little bit I was just reading, I guess there were a ton of people holding short positions expecting the price to go down.  On a subreddit that has a lot of day traders, everyone started talking about buying when someone on Twitter posted about the stock going down to $20.  There were enough people on that subreddit that once they started buying, the price started going up and all the short sellers panicked.  They couldn't get rid of their shares fast enough, so it got where everybody was trying to buy.  People who wanted to get in on the momentum, short sellers trying to close their position.  Nobody was selling, so it just took off like crazy.  Not really any reason for it other than supply and demand of the stock, but the company didn't do anything the last week to cause it.  I can't imagine it stays up at this level for long.

Guess I need to get on this Reddit thread.  Sounds like fun

• Like 1

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

I'll have to look.  I bought that book you told me about.   Haven't gotten into it yet.  

It's all about odds. Invest in the index funds and take what the market gives you, an average of about 7%. If you have extra play the stock market.

Or play the game and have a 30% chance of beating the market while paying front and end loads to an investment manager.  

My strategy is this, index funds, cash efund, ie money market, Roth IRA, silver and gold to maintain value.

8 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

It's all about odds. Invest in the index funds and take what the market gives you, an average of about 7%. If you have extra play the stock market.

Or play the game and have a 30% chance of beating the market while paying front and end loads to an investment manager.  

My strategy is this, index funds, cash efund, ie money market, Roth IRA, silver and gold to maintain value.

I've got basically 90% in index funds/ high risk allocation.  Some cash from house sell I'm waiting for opportunity, possibly land.  Really only 1% that I'm playing in my robinhood account and half of that is still cash.  

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

I've got basically 90% in index funds/ high risk allocation.  Some cash from house sell I'm waiting for opportunity, possibly land.  Really only 1% that I'm playing in my robinhood account and half of that is still cash.  

I think we are about the same age and and I have about the same allocation you do. We have time on our side, hopefully.  

11 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Guess I need to get on this Reddit thread.  Sounds like fun

You'd be surprised at the power of Reddit. Been a fun  one to watch. Now it's made it's way to the media and more and more people have been buying. I'm not in on this one but up 18% this morning.

I'm happier because Beyond Meat (one of my pride and joys) just partnered with Pepsi this morning to make plant based snacks and drinks. Up 23% just on that news alone. 

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I read about this gamestop for 2 hours last night after I supposedly went to bed.  Just made $400, got out at $140.  Lol

After hours it is over $200.  Don't know what the volume is, but this thing is insane.  There are going to be a lot of people getting rich and going broke on this stock in the next week.

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

After hours it is over $200.  Don't know what the volume is, but this thing is insane.  There are going to be a lot of people getting rich and going broke on this stock in the next week.

93% in a day. Never underestimate the power of social media. Zero fundamental reasons to buy this stock but at the end of the day...230% return since the Reddit folks got ahold of this thing on Thursday?

Said earlier. Feel bad for the people that just jump in and out at wrong times....but this one is Tilray again. It's real simple. Take the $ and keep buying Apple. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

How much more can it go up?

I don't know. I tried to buy more last night at $4.96 and markets and my order hasn't been filled yet and it's trading at $19/50/share right now. 

I like 200% nights. Haha. Now I'll have to keep my eye on this closely because  you never know when the bottom will fall out.

30 minutes ago, DireBump said:

Hedge fund options end Friday. 69% of funds are shorts. Could go up to $200 imo. I am not a financial advisor and I am not giving any financial advice. This is just my opinion. 

Yep. Now I'm not sure on the $200 part but as the week moves along it's going to be very interesting to see how this one plays. I rarely get involved in these sorts of plays but why not. 

• Like 1