Investing

24 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

What's a good way to research when options expire?  

Typically it's 3rd Friday of that particular month. Right now AMC has $38M in short positions. Those are the people freaking and will start buying calls or the underlying stock to cover the losses.

Like I said last night. I never invest like this but the underlying theory is very logical. Just have to make sure AMC and others hold their positions until Friday close. If everyone dumps on $1-$2 share drop....the hedge funds can gain back control. At least that's what I think. 

I'm playing with my small tokens on Nokia, Blackberry, and of course AME.  Done with gamestop and it's been steady all day.  I think it may have reached its peak.  

Also, someone pointed out Rolls Royce is down 80+% on the 1 year.  Just grabbed some shares at $1.40.  Also bought International Airlines group that has British and air longus amongst others.  Way down on the 1 year.

16 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

My big question is that if these Hedge funds had a huge vulnerability leaving these short positions open, why didn’t a different hedge (instead of small retail investors) make that profit?

They are....which is why you'll see wild swings in after hours. Same as 2008-09. Using swaps to buy long out of one side of your mouth while selling short out of the other and vice versa. This is going to be a fun 4-5 days and see how it shakes out. 

28 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Keeping it simple you are better off just dollar cost averaging, keep investing regularly, if in the market at least 10 years. Over time most will do / perform better than trying to time the market or catch a hot stock, which is seriously more risky 

I would say an obvious yes and no. Fun $ and safe money are two different things. With that said....anyone who didn't buy last March with the greatest fear based selloff in the last 35 years wasn't thinking things out. Shoot even index mutual funds as you mentioned did 60% from end of March to end of June. 

Cash is always king. Take advantage of the dips gang. 

44 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Keeping it simple you are better off just dollar cost averaging, keep investing regularly, if in the market at least 10 years. Over time most will do / perform better than trying to time the market or catch a hot stock, which is seriously more risky 

For sure.  I think everyone here is only playing with their play money.  I'm only around 1% if that.  Over 90% is in target date stuff.  

• Like 1

I'm not a big target date guy as I think a lot of them start backing off too soon.  I totally get why they do it, and they're meant to be a pretty safe way to make sure you're good for retirement, but I think a lot of them are too conservative too early for my liking.  If I didn't set limits for myself, I'd probably become a gambling addict, so maybe I'm not the best person to comment haha.

Just now, Leathernecks said:

I'm not a big target date guy as I think a lot of them start backing off too soon.  I totally get why they do it, and they're meant to be a pretty safe way to make sure you're good for retirement, but I think a lot of them are too conservative too early for my liking.  If I didn't set limits for myself, I'd probably become a gambling addict, so maybe I'm not the best person to comment haha.

True.  I realized when I turned 35 or 36 it dropped my stock allocation from 90 to 80%(or something close to that) so I bumped it out another 5 or ten years.  My game plan is with my pension and little bit of ss, house and other debts at zero, I won't touch my investments.  Want to set the kid/kids, if we pop another, and grandkids up for success.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

True.  I realized when I turned 35 or 36 it dropped my stock allocation from 90 to 80%(or something close to that) so I bumped it out another 5 or ten years.  My game plan is with my pension and little bit of ss, house and other debts at zero, I won't touch my investments.  Want to set the kid/kids, if we pop another, and grandkids up for success.  

Nothing wrong with setting a target date past your retirement date to be more aggressive- if you will not need that $ for income at retirement. Going more conservative when the market is rallying can be a drawback and why I prefer the traditional asset allocation models (growth, moderate, etc) where you can decide when to adjust the levels.  An asset allocation model should be the core of your strategy but then can be supplemented by targeted strategies.

Question: I'm actually finding this Reddit thing comical and and a nice bit of karma. I see hedge fund managers whining and wall street gurus crying that this is bad for the market. BUT morally, isn't shorting stocks in general a despicable thing? Just want to make sure I'm getting this right....by shorting a  stock, hedge fund managers are essentially hurting (deterring investment on) a company that they have nothing to do with just to make money? Is there any real world/practical reason for doing this other than just greed?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Question: I'm actually finding this Reddit thing comical and and a nice bit of karma. I see hedge fund managers whining and wall street gurus crying that this is bad for the market. BUT morally, isn't shorting stocks in general a despicable thing? Just want to make sure I'm getting this right....by shorting a  stock, hedge fund managers are essentially hurting (deterring investment on) a company that they have nothing to do with just to make money? Is there any real world/practical reason for doing this other than just greed?

Just my 2 cent opinion. It's a free market where people can make/lose money on any stock whether it's going up or down. I won't offer much more than that....but what's going on yesterday and this morning is you have several apps/platforms (namely RobinHood) who won't allow retail investors to place trades on GME, AMC, NOK,etc...

Shoot even Cuban got in the fun last night and this morning calling them out for that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Just my 2 cent opinion. It's a free market where people can make/lose money on any stock whether it's going up or down. I won't offer much more than that....but what's going on yesterday and this morning is you have several apps/platforms (namely RobinHood) who won't allow retail investors to place trades on GME, AMC, NOK,etc...

Shoot even Cuban got in the fun last night and this morning calling them out for that. 

Might be time for RobinHood to change it's name.....

• Like 1

Am really enjoying watching all of the handwringing over this on Wall Street. 

Individual Reddit investors have teamed up to run up stock prices agains wealthy hedge funds who are betting against American companies and *checks notes* the individual investors are somehow the bad guys. 

HILARIOUS. Wall Street has got away with stuff like this for years and suddenly they are not too keen on market manipulation. 

Karma is a b*itch. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

Might be time for RobinHood to change it's name.....

They've been exposed this morning once people started connecting the dots. I'm actually enjoying this little roller coaster. Breaks up the monotony of just earning 100% every year on Apple for the last decade. Haha.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

The irony is that the hedge funds said Reddit is manipulating the market so they shut down buying which is manipulating the market, just in the favor of the hedge funds. You can still sell, but no one can buy which will cause the price to plummet. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Am really enjoying watching all of the handwringing over this on Wall Street. 

Individual Reddit investors have teamed up to run up stock prices agains wealthy hedge funds who are betting against American companies and *checks notes* the individual investors are somehow the bad guys. 

HILARIOUS. Wall Street has got away with stuff like this for years and suddenly they are not too keen on market manipulation. 

Karma is a b*itch. 

It's also interesting to see who is coming to the defense of the hedge funds. 

• Like 1