Investing

2 minutes ago, GoshenFan84 said:

The irony is that the hedge funds said Reddit is manipulating the market so they shut down buying which is manipulating the market, just in the favor of the hedge funds. You can still sell, but no one can buy which will cause the price to plummet. 

Yep. Just have to wait it out. I remember an intra day on GME last week.Went from like $160/share down to $70....and everyone knows where it's at now. 

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Question: I'm actually finding this Reddit thing comical and and a nice bit of karma. I see hedge fund managers whining and wall street gurus crying that this is bad for the market. BUT morally, isn't shorting stocks in general a despicable thing? Just want to make sure I'm getting this right....by shorting a  stock, hedge fund managers are essentially hurting (deterring investment on) a company that they have nothing to do with just to make money? Is there any real world/practical reason for doing this other than just greed?

It's been an interesting story to follow. By shorting a stock, any individual or entity can profit if a stock goes down in value. If a stock is going to decline anyways, you can make money at the expense of those who own the stock. Really no different than buying a stock hoping it goes up. It is often used to hedge other positions, minimize risk, and many other reasons. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

I can't believe that a lot of places shut down retail buying of GME today but allowed hedge funds to keep buying and selling.  Now that those BS moves have started gaining attention, it wouldn't surprise me if there will be a lot of pissed off buyers tomorrow and it takes another jump.

Another example of screw the little guy and take care of the hedge fund types. 

Practically cheering as I read these Reddit posts linked on Twitter:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

Another example of screw the little guy and take care of the hedge fund types. 

Practically cheering as I read these Reddit posts linked on Twitter:

Going to be a fun night and day tomorrow....as well as watch the pending litigation. One thing for certain. The small guy is using GME AMC Nokia Blackberry Bed Bath Beyond as a catalyst to fight back at the man. 

Once some of the retail shops opened it back up in after hours....AMC is up 35-40% already from losses today. GME up $95 or almost 50%.

Fun day coming tomorrow. Hindsight being 20/20 why I wasn't buy this afternoon is beyond me. Markets are somewhat based on emotion and fear. Plenty of Hedge folks scared to death what tomorrow at Midnight will bring. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

There is a war brewing. Class action lawsuit against GME. Google removed 150,000 negative reviews on Robin hood. They are being looked at by the SEC. We'll see what happens today

I opened a Webull account after the shenanigans that Robin Hood pulled yesterday.  I'll be getting all of my stuff out of there here pretty soon but we will would only allow me to instantly trade 500 bucks worth.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Going to be a fun night and day tomorrow....as well as watch the pending litigation. One thing for certain. The small guy is using GME AMC Nokia Blackberry Bed Bath Beyond as a catalyst to fight back at the man. 

Once some of the retail shops opened it back up in after hours....AMC is up 35-40% already from losses today. GME up $95 or almost 50%.

Fun day coming tomorrow. Hindsight being 20/20 why I wasn't buy this afternoon is beyond me. Markets are somewhat based on emotion and fear. Plenty of Hedge folks scared to death what tomorrow at Midnight will bring. 

They just said on bloomberg that there are more people still trying to buy gme than available.  Not sure how that works but sounds like people are holding.  Price is going to go up again.  I would think 

3 hours ago, Inequality said:

AMC on the move

This is why today is so important. If AMC closes above $9...that means all the calls will expire in the money and all the market makers will have to buy back at a premium. It's $13.50 range right now 20 minutes before close. 

After this week anything is possible but you could see major movement on Monday for AMC just on volume alone. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

What are good sites to see where the shorts are/what volume they are at/when they expire/etc?

Actually any site that lists will have it. You can go to something as simple as CNBC. Click on stock you want....and you'll see section on ownership and options....and under options you have like 5 things to pull down. Takes some time to play around with but easy to see how many sellers are out there......but this weeks play was all about options expiring. Nothing to do with fundamentals.

On the flip side of that though. Even if you take a hit on AMC I could see it being a 6-12 month hold because once the world does open again....movie theatres will attract audiences.

I'd prefer to make my money by next week and just reload profits back into Apple....but if I take a hit I don't think AMC is a bad play for next year.

18 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Actually any site that lists will have it. You can go to something as simple as CNBC. Click on stock you want....and you'll see section on ownership and options....and under options you have like 5 things to pull down. Takes some time to play around with but easy to see how many sellers are out there......but this weeks play was all about options expiring. Nothing to do with fundamentals.

On the flip side of that though. Even if you take a hit on AMC I could see it being a 6-12 month hold because once the world does open again....movie theatres will attract audiences.

I'd prefer to make my money by next week and just reload profits back into Apple....but if I take a hit I don't think AMC is a bad play for next year.

I'm never selling

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DireBump said:

I'm never selling

I've been dead wrong several times but doing some homework on AMC two things I'm certain of. The shorts are going to continue to whack this stock down....but every single day next week more and more options expire which historically means price will go up.

Going to be a wild one each day next week. 

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

Most of my spare money is tied up in other stocks that just dipped off of all time highs the last few days so it is a bad time to sell, but I might have to sell a little to try to join in on some of the fun.  Not a ton of money, just enough for some entertainment.  And I want to be able to do this

reddit: the front page of the internet

Been some funny one's all week long.

My individual stock plays represent less than 10% of invested assets but this year I'll say there has been so many opportunities to buy. Anything I make from these buys/sells typically end up in one place. Apple. 

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Been some funny one's all week long.

My individual stock plays represent less than 10% of invested assets but this year I'll say there has been so many opportunities to buy. Anything I make from these buys/sells typically end up in one place. Apple. 

I almost purchased a couple hundred shares of Apple on Friday, but going to see if goes down any further on Monday. We kind of follow the same policy for individual stocks - shove that extra money on Apple. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I almost purchased a couple hundred shares of Apple on Friday, but going to see if goes down any further on Monday. We kind of follow the same policy for individual stocks - shove that extra money on Apple. 

I think I said in this thread earlier in year or maybe it was Corona thread....but Penn National, Beyond Meat, Mercadolibre, Apple....those were my 4 plays last March. I'll buy on dips or panic selling for a quick 5% here and there....but it all ends up in my Apple kitty. Been a proud shareholder since 2006. Don't see a reason to change up now. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I have like 7 Apple products, I might as well complete the collection and own some of their stock vbg.

Unrelated to this thread but the new Mac Mini is dynamite.  I watch IU games (this time, also a Pacer game) in my office these days.

image.thumb.png.47711ea273a1683545dec7006ec11968.png

Apple family here too and we follow the own stocks in what you know/love rule. I think right now, Apple is the only individual stock I own. My wife has even more Apple stock and some Peloton. Everything else is in target date mutual funds and index funds. If Apple dips again on Monday, I’m stocking up. Of course my wife will watch me do this and then hold out for a further drop and then buy and make me look like an amateur. 

I should just give her my money and let her do it...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I have like 7 Apple products, I might as well complete the collection and own some of their stock vbg.

Unrelated to this thread but the new Mac Mini is dynamite.  I watch IU games (this time, also a Pacer game) in my office these days.

image.thumb.png.47711ea273a1683545dec7006ec11968.png

I’ve been interested in the Apple Mini. Might have to dig more up on them.

13 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Cannot recommend it enough.  The M1 processor is superbly fast.  I already had the keyboard and monitors, so I just had to add a mouse and boom.  The price is right too.

I’m wanting something that can run my Flexi software smoother and faster. Even if it can’t though, I’m interested in see how I can incorporate it in home with all of our other Apple devices. I think this thing is the future and an online/Cloud type software use is going to be the norm.