Investing

18 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I sold an unopened box of 1979 football cards to a collector years ago when I needed $ after school for $650. The reason? The holy grail (Joe Montana) could be in there. I told him I don't want to know but after about 3 weeks I had to find out. It wasn't in there. Haha.

I still have boxes and packs of unopened cards from roughly 79-84 range. 

Regarding making $ like you are. Lots of ways to do it these days. My cousin's friend started a business here in town by buying high end used (1-3 wears) of women's dresses/blouses,etc...and shipping. Buys a designer dress that retails for $900....he buys it for a $100 from Goodwill and sells for $300+. He's gotten so big now he flies to LA 6x a year to their Goodwill for the stars if you will and buys in bulk. You'd be amazed at the loot he's making. 

Keep up the card game. Good money it and like you said. It's fun. 

I think 81 was Montana rookie card. I think Ozzie Newsome was 79. That is still really cool. If you have 84 football cards unopened, I think it was Elway, Marino, and Dickerson rookies. I didn't have the patience to keep my cards unopened back in the day...I had to bust them all and see what I had. I still have a bunch of my older cards but most aren't worth much from the 80s. Most of the valuable stuff I have now is autographs/memorabilia.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I think 81 was Montana rookie card. I think Ozzie Newsome was 79. That is still really cool. If you have 84 football cards unopened, I think it was Elway, Marino, and Dickerson rookies. I didn't have the patience to keep my cards unopened back in the day...I had to bust them all and see what I had. I still have a bunch of my older cards but most aren't worth much from the 80s. Most of the valuable stuff I have now is autographs/memorabilia.

My mistake. Thanks. It was 81! Not sure why I thought it was 79. I always ripped open my day to day cards right away but my Mom had a knack for seeing value down the road. Always saved some boxes, cards,etc....for future value. My only question now is if I do open the baseball cards do I eat the gum?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

My mistake. Thanks. It was 81! Not sure why I thought it was 79. I always ripped open my day to day cards right away but my Mom had a knack for seeing value down the road. Always saved some boxes, cards,etc....for future value. My only question now is if I do open the baseball cards do I eat the gum?

I triple dog dare you to eat the gum ha. It was bad enough when it was the current year!

• Like 1

That's one small step for...me, I guess.  I've studied and dabbled in the market over the last 10 years, but always on a cash basis.  Earlier this week, I pulled the trigger and applied/converted one of my brokerage accounts to margin.  I have zero intention of using the vast majority of that leverage.  I mainly just wanted to be able to trade on unsettled cash. 

Well, everything finally re-settled today, and I pulled the trigger on my first extremely small but successful short sale.  I've never done any hard drugs, but damn....that has to be what it feels like.  Creating money from nothing....Even if it is just $1.60.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/1/2021 at 1:58 PM, Zlinedavid said:

That's one small step for...me, I guess.  I've studied and dabbled in the market over the last 10 years, but always on a cash basis.  Earlier this week, I pulled the trigger and applied/converted one of my brokerage accounts to margin.  I have zero intention of using the vast majority of that leverage.  I mainly just wanted to be able to trade on unsettled cash. 

Well, everything finally re-settled today, and I pulled the trigger on my first extremely small but successful short sale.  I've never done any hard drugs, but damn....that has to be what it feels like.  Creating money from nothing....Even if it is just $1.60.

Just always remember that the potential loss on a long position is 100%, the potential loss on a short position is unlimited. Shorting has become very dangerous with the Reddit crowd. The stock prices of some really terrible companies can get bid up astronomically overnight. Be very careful with heavily shorted stocks. The short squeeze can be brutal and there may not be enough float to cover your short position. 

2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Just always remember that the potential loss on a long position is 100%, the potential loss on a short position is unlimited. Shorting has become very dangerous with the Reddit crowd. The stock prices of some really terrible companies can get bid up astronomically overnight. Be very careful with heavily shorted stocks. The short squeeze can be brutal and there may not be enough float to cover your short position. 

I don't go anywhere near anything that's heavily Reddit-ed period.  Those things have the volatility of 3 of 5fouls' ex wives. 

The stock I shorted is actually KMPH, which I mentioned above.  Been long on it for about 6 months.  But, it has an extremely reliable daily pattern.  For the past 3-4 weeks, it takes a morning dip, hovers about 5-6% down until 10-11AM, then bounces.  It's actually freaky how reliable it is.  It's probably people doing exactly what I did.  And yes, no big plans on using any of that leverage on a significant basis, I mostly just wanted to see the mechanics of it.  All I really wanted the margin account for was being able to trade on unsettled cash without worrying about good faith violations. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Heck, I'm not here to short anything, I'm here to make profit off of what other people shorted vbg ;)

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just wish I bought. Darn...58% days (close and after hours) are hard to find. Give the heads up if you see anymore of these plays! Great call!

There’s likely still room. All calls for the 17th are currently ITM, or if not are really close. Can’t remember if there were any at $45. Total for them all is about 7M outstanding shares…..and the current float is about 1.5M. 

Oops. 

This is the unique situation of being a relatively new former SPAC that someone happened to catch this for. A stock that’s been around longer, not as likely to happen since it’d have more eyes on it for longer.  If it’s one of those situations that makes you think “That doesn’t happen….”, you’re right. But it has. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Wait….you’re on to something here…..thinking of AMC as an actual company instead of a trading instrument…..BRILLIANT!

:coffee:

It's actually funny. What started in mid January as a technical play has slowly (while earning 3-400%) turned into a fundamental play...

Edited by Seeking6

58 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

It's actually funny. What started in mid January as a technical play has slowly (while earning 3-400%) turned into a fundamental play...

Actually, I’d say more than one has. This IronNet company has some actual promise. They’re a cyber security firm, and their management is full of ex CIA/NSA types. Let’s say that their “true” market value is $30/share. That’s still only about 55-60% of what comparable companies trade at. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Actually, I’d say more than one has. This IronNet company has some actual promise. They’re a cyber security firm, and their management is full of ex CIA/NSA types. Let’s say that their “true” market value is $30/share. That’s still only about 55-60% of what comparable companies trade at. 

Thoughts on Opad? When I see 30-40% pushes either way in 72 hours I know it's junk in terms of a stock....but I actually like the company. Tough to see where to get in. Maybe if it goes down to the $10-$11 range again? 

28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thoughts on Opad? When I see 30-40% pushes either way in 72 hours I know it's junk in terms of a stock....but I actually like the company. Tough to see where to get in. Maybe if it goes down to the $10-$11 range again? 

Seen the ticker floating around but haven’t done any actual DD into it. From what I gather, it’s another converted SPAC that’s being touted as a squeeze. 

As far as it being a sustainable business….eh…..I wouldn’t get near their services with a 10 foot pole, but I’m always the outlier when it comes to consumer trends. I can see it having a place in this insane real estate market, but what happens when it cools? In a hot housing market, they can buy, flip and turn in what…maybe 60-75 days? Less than a quarter. What’s going to happen when those carrying costs start impacting more than one earnings report? 

Just something about it doesn’t sit right with me. I’d never use it personally, and I’d never buy a house that they had flipped. I also don’t use Facebook, but I understand it’s place in the market and have/do own shares. This one just doesn’t seem to have a secure place yet. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...