Investing

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

Nice! And good to har it’s working out.

Not sure I can hold out that long. I know a lot of people worry about “being bored” in retirement, but I have so many things I want to do and don’t have time for now. Am really looking forward to it. 

I think people who end up bored in retirement go into it without a plan or didn't really do anything anyway. 

I'm sure it can happen but for me going from working a 6 day schedule to 3 days I still feel like there isn't enough time to get done what I want to. It seems like every day I find a new fishing hole I want to try.  I want to start fly fishing.  The Ozarks aren't that far away. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Nice! And good to har it’s working out.

Not sure I can hold out that long. I know a lot of people worry about “being bored” in retirement, but I have so many things I want to do and don’t have time for now. Am really looking forward to it. 

Yeah, I never get bored. It helped moving to a climate where I can be outside nearly every day of the year. It seems like the weeks just fly by. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well since nobody wants to work it seems, I took a part time job at kohls and my wife is working at ulta. With discounts she will stock up on whatever it is women like and I will get about 3 yrs worth of shirts and jeans for 55% off, and some house stuff. The clothes are easy because all I mostly wear is levi 527 bootcut and sonoma t shirts from kohls.

Plan on putting 2 weeks in Oct 13 before the holiday rush. 

After maxing out Roth we will take the leftovers and spend it on winter activities.  May get a cabin in brown county and relax and eat for a few days. 

Put what's in my rollover IRA into a healthcare services fund.  I figure healthcare services will be in demand for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Well since nobody wants to work it seems, I took a part time job at kohls and my wife is working at ulta. With discounts she will stock up on whatever it is women like and I will get about 3 yrs worth of shirts and jeans for 55% off, and some house stuff. The clothes are easy because all I mostly wear is levi 527 bootcut and sonoma t shirts from kohls.

Plan on putting 2 weeks in Oct 13 before the holiday rush. 

After maxing out Roth we will take the leftovers and spend it on winter activities.  May get a cabin in brown county and relax and eat for a few days. 

Put what's in my rollover IRA into a healthcare services fund.  I figure healthcare services will be in demand for the foreseeable future. 

Ulta is one of my wife’s favorite places to go when we are in MD. 

Smart idea to make some extra cash while you have the energy and the will. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I'll be big mad if kohls goes out of business in the future.

Kohls rejected a buyout offer of $60 / share this year.  Played cute in negotiations, and tried to squeeze just a little bit more out of the deal.  Then it fell apart, and the stock crashed.

Like they didn't even pay attention to Shopko, which had the same exact thing happen, before they went out of business.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I'll be big mad if kohls goes out of business in the future. That's where I get all my clothes. 

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4542795-kohls-the-end-of-department-store-era-close

Lot of indicators pointing toward a big correction probably soon. 

Not sure if one is located anywhere near you, but Dillards usually starts cleaning out last year's stuff around this time. I was buying $55 Roundtree and York dress shirts for $15-20 bucks last year around this time. 

Shop at JC Penneys some too..

Casual clothes I normally buy on Amazon... 

33 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not sure if one is located anywhere near you, but Dillards usually starts cleaning out last year's stuff around this time. I was buying $55 Roundtree and York dress shirts for $15-20 bucks last year around this time. 

Shop at JC Penneys some too..

Casual clothes I normally buy on Amazon... 

I'll have to expand my options. Around me malls are dead so all the anchor stores like penny's, sears, and Macy's are closed. There used to be Dillard's in Evansville, might still be there. 

For pants I wear levi 527 and I get kohls sonoma brand shirts and polos.  End of October there is an associate shop so I can get 50% with no exceptions. So I can get levi,nike, Under Armour half off and stock up. 

I wear canoes for shoes so I just get what's available on Amazon. Usually under amour shoes. 

• 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I know I shouldn't complain because buying on a dip is good but I invest  every 2 weeks about the same amount my accounts lose.  So my total balance has stayed relatively the same for awhile. I just want to watch it grow dangit. 

Ha, yeah this is not a good looking year. We both put the max into our 403Ks with a 10% match-  I can put in more since I am over 50. But even plowing all that in every two weeks, our balance are hovering the same now as the beginning of the year. Not great, but there are *usually* good to great years after the bad ones. 

Wait until that balance hits another “good” year, it will shoot up and you’ll enjoy looking at your balance again! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Another thing I've done is download the Upside app and get cash back on gas and groceries.  When I hit the transfer limit I move it to checking and move an equal amount from checking to Roth. It's averaging about $60 a month. So an extra $720 a year invested. 

Smart and every bit helps. Have you ever watched any of “The Points Guy” videos or videos like that on Youtube? All about getting the max from debit and credit cards. I’ve always been a one credit card kind of guy, but did get a one this year to reap 5 points in restaurants and 4 points for grocery stores. 

My USAA credit card is not great for this, which is why I got a new card this year to get better points/cash back. 

• Like 1

I'm no points expert but I do try to take advantage of them. With my wife, we have 2 businesses and use points cards through them as well as personally. They covered 2 nights in a nice hotel on our anniversary trip to MI last month. I need to order some gift cards soon to give to the kids for Christmas presents. 

• Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 4:21 PM, Lostin76 said:

Smart and every bit helps. Have you ever watched any of “The Points Guy” videos or videos like that on Youtube? All about getting the max from debit and credit cards. I’ve always been a one credit card kind of guy, but did get a one this year to reap 5 points in restaurants and 4 points for grocery stores. 

My USAA credit card is not great for this, which is why I got a new card this year to get better points/cash back. 

I have stuck with my usaa credit card at 2.5 for everything so I don't have to jump around categories.  That is with a linked direct deposit.   

Edited by NotIThatLives

11 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I have stuck with my usaa credit card at 2.5 for everything so I don't have to jump around categories.  That is with a linked direct deposit.   

I think you are getting a better deal at USAA. Mine is also linked to direct deposit, but I think I only get 1.5. My USAA credit card is also not a tap card, which drives me crazy. 

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

I think you are getting a better deal at USAA. Mine is also linked to direct deposit, but I think I only get 1.5. My USAA credit card is also not a tap card, which drives me crazy. 

I've  had it nearly 10 years.  It was an extra point promotion at some point.  

I have one other cc that I use strictly at Kroger grocery stores.   I buy my gift cards(lots of projects so Lowes, homedepot cards) during 4 times fuel point promotions then use my Kroger cc at the pump usually getting $1.25 off a gallon, up to 35 gallons.  So I get an extra 25 cents off a gallon when using the cc for gas, plus the in store purchases are 1%.  Just the 25 cents/gallon and the 1% comes in around 6% according to my math.  Stack the fuel points up and I'm  saving over $100 a month filling up 3 times or so per month.  

May want to check in with isaa and see if you should  be getting  that extra 1% with linked direct deposit 

8 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I've  had it nearly 10 years.  It was an extra point promotion at some point.  

I have one other cc that I use strictly at Kroger grocery stores.   I buy my gift cards(lots of projects so Lowes, homedepot cards) during 4 times fuel point promotions then use my Kroger cc at the pump usually getting $1.25 off a gallon, up to 35 gallons.  So I get an extra 25 cents off a gallon when using the cc for gas, plus the in store purchases are 1%.  Just the 25 cents/gallon and the 1% comes in around 6% according to my math.  Stack the fuel points up and I'm  saving over $100 a month filling up 3 times or so per month.  

May want to check in with isaa and see if you should  be getting  that extra 1% with linked direct deposit 

Definitely will check with them. At this point, I’m just using my USAA for online purchases and Amex for everything else. I get 5 points/per dollar at restaurants and 4 points/per for grocery stores. Those points add up like crazy and then we just buy plane tickets with them when we want to travel.

• Like 1