Investing

• 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

During my sabbatical, one thing I did start researching/trading is market volatility/volatility futures.  Topic is open for anyone that's familiar. 

Welcome back! Seems like with the current state of IU basketball you picked a bad time though?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

During my sabbatical, one thing I did start researching/trading is market volatility/volatility futures.  Topic is open for anyone that's familiar. 

I'm ears.  Where do I learn?  Volatility sounds just like it sounds.  Is there a way to make some money?  Show me the way.  

12 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Welcome back! Seems like with the current state of IU basketball you picked a bad time though?

Is what it is man.  My two years in BTown were the two years Davis missed the tournament.  I lived through the Sampson debacle, the first few years of Crean, the last few years of Crean and all of Archie.  This too shall pass. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm ears.  Where do I learn?  Volatility sounds just like it sounds.  Is there a way to make some money?  Show me the way.  

In the market sense, volatility is defined as changes in out-of-the-money SPX options. There is even an index that tracks it: VIX.  This article goes into a little bit more detail, but basically, if the weighted average price for puts goes up while the weighted average price for calls goes down, there are more hedges being created indicating a potential move down.  The opposite is also true. 

Clear as water, clear as mud or somewhere inbetween?

22 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

In the market sense, volatility is defined as changes in out-of-the-money SPX options. There is even an index that tracks it: VIX.  This article goes into a little bit more detail, but basically, if the weighted average price for puts goes up while the weighted average price for calls goes down, there are more hedges being created indicating a potential move down.  The opposite is also true. 

Clear as water, clear as mud or somewhere inbetween?

My next day at the firehouse, I shall devote some time to YouTube and reading about this.  I was really trying to figure out how to drop some mo ey into the ai machine that bezos dropped like 50 million in.  I think the growth potential is crypto like.  But it's not public yet.  

8 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

My next day at the firehouse, I shall devote some time to YouTube and reading about this.  I was really trying to figure out how to drop some mo ey into the ai machine that bezos dropped like 50 million in.  I think the growth potential is crypto like.  But it's not public yet.  

AI is what's driving a lot of the chip manufacturers...NVDA in particular. 

What I like about the short volatility futures is, it's not industry/sector specific.  May not have astronomic returns, but it's the most predictable, reliable little niche in the market I've ever found.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

What I like about the short volatility futures is, it's not industry/sector specific.  May not have astronomic returns, but it's the most predictable, reliable little niche in the market I've ever found.

Holy mother of all things lost, we have a @Zlinedavid sighting.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Nvidia has vaulted itself to my #2 favorite stock of all time besides Apple. We bought in July of 2022. Unreal run. 

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Not sure if it'll have the staying power of AAPL, but it looks like it's heading that way.

I was wrong on Apple....in terms of how big they could get...and I'm sure I'll be wrong on Nvidia at some point but anyone who has spent some time in markets knows this stuff just doesn't happen. Up 335% in 19 months is plain dumb.