Investing

10 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Anyone have info on what's going on with the housing market?  Read where investment firms are buying houses and even entire subdivisions for 20-50% above market value pricing out regular buyers.

Seems like a bad idea and something that shouldn't be allowed to happen.  

That has been going on for awhile. I know some started buying in AZ after the 2008 collapse there. I think that success spurred them on. Single Family Residential Real estate is becoming its own sector. Institutions are also buying up manufactured home communities and RV Campgrounds. They are using airline, demand based pricing for campgrounds. No more flat fees. Guess it is either good or bad depending on where you are coming from.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2021 at 12:20 PM, Seeking6 said:

Clover Health gang is the next one. Might be late to the party but much larger short squeeze in play. Could be worth throwing a few bucks in for fun. 

Heard rumblings about Workhorse (WKSE) or WWE (WWE) entering the Reddit picture. 

If you’re a more traditional investor, KemPharm (KMPH) is a biotech on the rise. Good pipeline of drugs either soon to be entering the market and in development, and very cash heavy. Will be added in the next revision of the Russell 2000. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Heard rumblings about Workhorse (WKSE) or WWE (WWE) entering the Reddit picture. 

If you’re a more traditional investor, KemPharm (KMPH) is a biotech on the rise. Good pipeline of drugs either soon to be entering the market and in development, and very cash heavy. Will be added in the next revision of the Russell 2000. 

7DF00DA4-B740-4FA3-9AEA-146780F0C60F.png

Damn, called that one. 10% in a day is good, right? 

• Like 2

On 6/11/2021 at 10:27 PM, Zlinedavid said:

7DF00DA4-B740-4FA3-9AEA-146780F0C60F.png

Damn, called that one. 10% in a day is good, right? 

In case anyone is under the impression that I actually know what I’m talking about, A) I’d like a hit/dose of whatever you’re taking, and B) KMPH finished down a point and a half today. BUT….it’s still up over 20% in the past week, and today, the CEO decides to purchase 1500 shares at more or less market value ($14 and change).  Can’t help but take that as a cautiously optimistic sign.

If you’re reading this Monday evening, keep an eye on UONE at open Tuesday morning. 

3 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I cashed out my original investment of AMC (which was 4x up) so now I'm playing with house money on the remaining 75%.  Should be fun.  I honestly might take a ride on the next reddit-crazed short squeeze.  

RMED has the initial makings of it. GRAY too. Keep holding the AMC though. Friday is the big day. Quadruple witching day. I own neither....but looking at buying some. Same technical trade issue as AMC was on January 20th or so. 

I've got my stop loss in place for AMC at $40. If it happens so be it and we've had a good run....if not? We might have a 3 digit runup real quick on hedges covering their shorts and buying. Next 72 hours will be fun. 

Edited by Seeking6

If you made money in crypto, I'm happy for you.  Investing in crypto is no more than gambling (with better than typical house odds).  There is zero intrinsic value in the stuff, there's no taxing authority backing it and it all operates in the greater fool theory or pure FOMO.

...but yes...if you can guess the direction a crypto currency will go next, you can make money at it.  It's not really "investing" though.  Before anyone says it, yes, I understand that our national currency (or any government paper/digital currency for that matter) is not a whole lot better.

37 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

If you made money in crypto, I'm happy for you.  Investing in crypto is no more than gambling (with better than typical house odds).  There is zero intrinsic value in the stuff, there's no taxing authority backing it and it all operates in the greater fool theory or pure FOMO.

...but yes...if you can guess the direction a crypto currency will go next, you can make money at it.  It's not really "investing" though.  Before anyone says it, yes, I understand that our national currency (or any government paper/digital currency for that matter) is not a whole lot better.

It’s “coin flip” investing. The only thing you know is that the value is going to change. It’s just sheer guessing whether it’s up or down. 

I lucked out. Several years ago, I bought one Bitcoin just to start playing around with it, and lost interest and forgot about it. The time was around May of 2013, and the total cost….about $100. Forgot I even had it until the bull run of late 2017. Yeah, you do the math. I cashed out about 40% of it then, but I use the rest to “nibble” the market. I’ll sell $500, buy that amount when the market dips, and sell it back when it’s up about 0.75-1% from the original point after fees. I’m not getting rich by any means, but it’s 95% automated, and I’m playing with house money anyway. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

ATOS

Up 20% in two days, gets added to the Russell 3000 index Monday. And, scary that this has become noteworthy, but a close in the neighborhood of $8.50 puts it at over a market cap of $1B.....meaning the Reddit boys might officially jump on. 

Good find. I officially entered the party at $8.22 share  this morning after the open.

7 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Good find. I officially entered the party at $8.22 share  this morning after the open.

Wild ride, wasn't it? With the growth this past week coupled with the Russell buys, potential for a short squeeze on the 15th. And if not, they're a relatively healthy company so hanging on mid-to-long term doesn't look too bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Wild ride, wasn't it? With the growth this past week coupled with the Russell buys, potential for a short squeeze on the 15th. And if not, they're a relatively healthy company so hanging on mid-to-long term doesn't look too bad.

I've mentioned before that I'm much more of a fundamentalist when it comes to investing. These are purely technical plays of our new world and one the smart investor adjusts with.

I enjoy having fun with it. Buy some shares and see what happens. Same as last year when Penn was at $5. Buy the oversell in that case...or in this one buy the momentum of a new type of investing. 

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I've mentioned before that I'm much more of a fundamentalist when it comes to investing. These are purely technical plays of our new world and one the smart investor adjusts with.

I enjoy having fun with it. Buy some shares and see what happens. Same as last year when Penn was at $5. Buy the oversell in that case...or in this one buy the momentum of a new type of investing. 

I pay a little attention to technical analysis but I’m not a guru or anything. I like to pick a company I truly believe in, and go with it.  I tend to be awful at picking the right price.  Overbought on an RSI or whatever, but sometimes I nail it on a breakout.   I wish that happened more often though.  But if you’re picking the right company, it’s fine.  I just wish I didn’t leave money on the table by not buying at the optimum price.  The Wall Street algo guys or high frequency guys get in there and nail good price action and get that extra edge.  But, for the most part, if you can get into a longer term secular play or get into something breaking out for macro reasons, the strategy can work even if you don’t have that billionaire’s edge. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I pay a little attention to technical analysis but I’m not a guru or anything. I like to pick a company I truly believe in, and go with it.  I tend to be awful at picking the right price.  Overbought on an RSI or whatever, but sometimes I nail it on a breakout.   I wish that happened more often though.  But if you’re picking the right company, it’s fine.  I just wish I didn’t leave money on the table by not buying at the optimum price.  The Wall Street algo guys or high frequency guys get in there and nail good price action and get that extra edge.  But, for the most part, if you can get into a longer term secular play or get into something breaking out for macro reasons, the strategy can work even if you don’t have that billionaire’s edge. 

Trust me. 90% of the household is in Equity Growth Funds and Apple since 2006. Otherwise the stuff I chat about on here is just having fun. I'm a Peter Lynch guy at heart. Buy good companies with good products and stick with them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Trust me. 90% of the household is in Equity Growth Funds and Apple since 2006. Otherwise the stuff I chat about on here is just having fun. I'm a Peter Lynch guy at heart. Buy good companies with good products and stick with them. 

Yep, same here. I tinker with the mix of funds every now and then, but I'm out of my league to try it with my "real" money. Any individual stocks are basically entertainment....I view it as gambling with slightly better odds. I don't put anything out there that I'm not willing to lose most of. 

My goals on my individual portfolio....pay for the family's vacation and spin gains/dividends into my IRA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

My ideal approach is kind of a hybrid. Look at the company first. If there's too many red flags in their products or their financials, nope. Then, does their current price reflect their valuation? If there's upside room, I'll consider it. That second part is why I've stayed clear of GME and the like. 

Once I know there's likely some long term growth possible, then I'll start dabbling in the timing the market game. If it seems hot, I'll sell with the plan of buying back in when it cools again, provided the longer term trend is still overall positive. I'm probably 50/50 at best at doing it, but hey...it's fun.

• Like 1

It falls more into the gambling than investing category, but lately I've bought a few NBA Top Shot packs.  I've spent around $60 and I sold a Durant playoff moment for $200, and some random guy I had a duplicate moment of for $6.  I still have probably another $150+ in other moments if I wanted to sell everything.  Not only have I made money, but it is pretty fun too.  Kind of like opening a new pack of baseball cards as a kid, or buying off a scratch off ticket.

• Like 1

Just now, Leathernecks said:

It falls more into the gambling than investing category, but lately I've bought a few NBA Top Shot packs.  I've spent around $60 and I sold a Durant playoff moment for $200, and some random guy I had a duplicate moment of for $6.  I still have probably another $150+ in other moments if I wanted to sell everything.  Not only have I made money, but it is pretty fun too.  Kind of like opening a new pack of baseball cards as a kid, or buying off a scratch off ticket.

Collectibles really do fall into that grey area. Mostly it's a hobby, but if you know what to watch for, you can make a buck or two. A gigantic box of mid-late 80s baseball cards at a garage sale...probably not all that valuable. A sharp eye might notice that the first card in the stack is an '88 Score Craig Biggio rookie. In decent condition, that's probably $40-50. Probably worth whatever they're asking. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Collectibles really do fall into that grey area. Mostly it's a hobby, but if you know what to watch for, you can make a buck or two. A gigantic box of mid-late 80s baseball cards at a garage sale...probably not all that valuable. A sharp eye might notice that the first card in the stack is an '88 Score Craig Biggio rookie. In decent condition, that's probably $40-50. Probably worth whatever they're asking. 

Reminds me that I need to go through all of my old baseball cards.  About 15-20 years ago I had a handful of cards in the $20-30 range.  

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

I sold an unopened box of 1979 football cards to a collector years ago when I needed $ after school for $650. The reason? The holy grail (Joe Montana) could be in there. I told him I don't want to know but after about 3 weeks I had to find out. It wasn't in there. Haha.

I still have boxes and packs of unopened cards from roughly 79-84 range. 

Regarding making $ like you are. Lots of ways to do it these days. My cousin's friend started a business here in town by buying high end used (1-3 wears) of women's dresses/blouses,etc...and shipping. Buys a designer dress that retails for $900....he buys it for a $100 from Goodwill and sells for $300+. He's gotten so big now he flies to LA 6x a year to their Goodwill for the stars if you will and buys in bulk. You'd be amazed at the loot he's making. 

Keep up the card game. Good money it and like you said. It's fun. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I sold an unopened box of 1979 football cards to a collector years ago when I needed $ after school for $650. The reason? The holy grail (Joe Montana) could be in there. I told him I don't want to know but after about 3 weeks I had to find out. It wasn't in there. Haha.

I still have boxes and packs of unopened cards from roughly 79-84 range. 

Regarding making $ like you are. Lots of ways to do it these days. My cousin's friend started a business here in town by buying high end used (1-3 wears) of women's dresses/blouses,etc...and shipping. Buys a designer dress that retails for $900....he buys it for a $100 from Goodwill and sells for $300+. He's gotten so big now he flies to LA 6x a year to their Goodwill for the stars if you will and buys in bulk. You'd be amazed at the loot he's making. 

Keep up the card game. Good money it and like you said. It's fun. 

I'm thinking of going back to school to get my masters, so I might need some extra money. Definitely going to look into selling them! I could be sitting on a fortune (or at least a couple hundred bucks!).

• Like 2