Florida State Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I know when they say a baseball player gets the yips is when a catcher or any position player can't throw to the base.

Interesting. Fife came to IU a killer player. He was a killer player defensively throughout - yips or not. Fact remains when Davis let him score he did. Fife is an extremely loyal guy, was the one at the front demanding Davis be the coach after RMk’s firing. Always stood strong for Knight and Davis. Personally I am skeptical he had the “yips” the entire time RMK was coaching, he was one tough kid.

Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

Interesting. Fife came to IU a killer player. He was a killer player defensively throughout - yips or not. Fact remains when Davis let him score he did. Fife is an extremely loyal guy, was the one at the front demanding Davis be the coach after RMk’s firing. Always stood strong for Knight and Davis. Personally I am skeptical he had the “yips” the entire time RMK was coaching, he was one tough kid.

I know once Davis got here that Fife, Hornsby and Coverdale were let go and played with more confidence

16 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Haven’t - what do you mean yips?

Hoosier Hysterics has a two part podcast with Fife that is really good. Basically he lost all confidence and his nerves got the best of him in regards to his offense and particularly his shooting ability, he described it himself as getting the yips. Then with the recommendation of a sports doctor or someone who was friends with his dad? (I forget the details) he started taking Zoloft to help him focus on the court and it helped with his shooting etc. I don't recall all the details, but that's the gist of it. He himself said it got worse as he got older especially when he got to Indiana. He said he was fine during practice, but during games his nerves got the best of him and that's why he leaned so heavily on his defense. 

7 hours ago, Hoosier98 said:

So many good things and bad things. Need shooters and a big that can shoot outside 15 feet. Defense was outstanding and will keep us in games all year. 

this is how i feel.  certainly a solid showing vs a good team on the road.  we play solid D consistently.  nice flashes by most of our guys.  just so frustrating to watch us shoot.  thought it was a little weird Hunter only played 17 minutes.  really concerned that Galloway cannot put the ball in the basket.  i stand where i did before.  not a bad team.  more fun to watch than last year.  should keep getting better if we don't get frustrated, but just gonna hang right outside the top 25 and hope to finish 5th or 6th in the conference.  we can play with most anyone, but look like we could lose due to cold shooting about any night.  

7 hours ago, BGleas said:

I don't know how this season will play out or the next couple, but personally I can see Archie's system taking hold and finally some culture coming together. 

He just has to recruit some play makers to go with it. We don't have that guy that you're confident can take a game over late and hit some big buckets. 

That will most likely be the Achilles heal of this team. Otherwise, they so tough, really good defensively and likeable. 

agree with this as well.  disappointed by our rebounding last night though.  we gave up some very costly ones.  

Rebounding cost us the game in OT.  State went on a 10-1 rebound run.  A few things/question(only able to watch the 2nd half and OT)

1.) Two times in the last 7 minutes of the game and OT combined Al drove into the lane into 2/3 people and first time the ball got blocked and turned into an easy layup and the second time resulted in the ball going out on state so it stayed our ball.  I love Al, however, he's not getting passed 2/3 guys in the lane I'm sorry

2.) Hunter wher art thou Hunter.  Yes he was 2/3 from 3pt range, however, I'm waiting for him to turn it on.  To me 6 points just isn't going to cut it given his potential. When does everyone feel he'll turn the corner and be asked to do more?

3.) Damn this one Hurt, we have 10 more games against ranked opponents as of 12/10.  So far we are 0-2 against ranked teams.  27 total games remaining.  I think we end up somewhere around 16-11 or 15-12.  Is a min of 15 games not including big ten tourney enough to get in, I think so.  

Indiana, under CAM, has become a very good defensive team.  They are #12 in team defense in the country, and those stats are being built with an excellent pre-conference schedule.  

That said, their perimeter shooting must get better, or there will be numerous outcomes like last night. 

Texas game: 11 made field goals the entire game.  No team wins when orange ball doesn’t go through iron ring. 

Last night: starters Durham, Phinisee and Franklin shot a combined 8-29 from the field, 2-11 from 3-pt range.  

I want these guys to win so badly, but am concerned that since, ya know, team that scores the most wins, the outcomes of games even though we’ve come a long way defensively under Miller will remain middle to lower end of conference when all games shake out.  

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Rebounding cost us the game in OT.  State went on a 10-1 rebound run.  A few things/question(only able to watch the 2nd half and OT)

1.) Two times in the last 7 minutes of the game and OT combined Al drove into the lane into 2/3 people and first time the ball got blocked and turned into an easy layup and the second time resulted in the ball going out on state so it stayed our ball.  I love Al, however, he's not getting passed 2/3 guys in the lane I'm sorry

2.) Hunter wher art thou Hunter.  Yes he was 2/3 from 3pt range, however, I'm waiting for him to turn it on.  To me 6 points just isn't going to cut it given his potential. When does everyone feel he'll turn the corner and be asked to do more?

3.) Damn this one Hurt, we have 10 more games against ranked opponents as of 12/10.  So far we are 0-2 against ranked teams.  27 total games remaining.  I think we end up somewhere around 16-11 or 15-12.  Is a min of 15 games not including big ten tourney enough to get in, I think so.  

Yeah, the rebounding in OT really cost us. As did Al’s two trips into the trees. I feel like on the second attempt, we were up and had a chance to widen the lead, but it was basically a turnover. 

Overall, I thought the guys played hard. Liked seeing Hunter hit those two threes and TJD just going off. Tough to lose like that in OT, but it’s a hell of a lot better than being blown out by Texas. 

20 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Yeah, the rebounding in OT really cost us. As did Al’s two trips into the trees. I feel like on the second attempt, we were up and had a chance to widen the lead, but it was basically a turnover. 

Overall, I thought the guys played hard. Liked seeing Hunter hit those two threes and TJD just going off. Tough to lose like that in OT, but it’s a hell of a lot better than being blown out by Texas. 

Just hit a wide open shot, totally different game.  Two is all I am asking for.  

By the way...props to Race for FT's.

31 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I just got to watch the last 10 minutes of the game (got called away, work emergency) and just a thought or 6...

I love the way our guys compete on defense. Defense travels (even to Tallahassee).

Some of Al's drives to the hoop have me perplexed...He had one where his just drove into TJD's back...And once he goes, he NEVER looks to pass the ball.

I thought that even though we played good defense to the end, we were tired. CAM didn't use the bench much. We only played 8 players, and one of them (Lander) only played 7 minutes.

For those calling for Hunter, I agree we need to get him out there, be HE needs to play better D and quit borrowing Justin Smith's hands. I think the Galloway example shows our players what gets you court time...Defense.

Their length was tough for us...The putback by the 7 footer and Scottie Barnes' runner at the end are a testament to how big they are. I can't help but think that Joey would have made a difference in this game.

The TJD comments after the game were music to my ears (although I was pissed he settled for a jumper from the corner with about 2 minutes to go in OT...He was great against them off the dribble). When your best player, who seems like a quiet kid, is so stung by a close loss that he calls out others, to me, it's a good thing. All along I said he needs that competitive streak his father, Dale, had...Maybe it's coming to the fore...

9 hours ago, CincyHoosier said:

I'm not convinced this team is going to be much better than last year.  I know we got "good Devonte" vs Florida St last year but we beat a better FSU team by 16. 

The Big 10 is going to be a grind and I just don't see how we fare much better than .500.  I think we beat Butler and obviously N Alabama.  5-2 heading into conference.  If we go .500, which is generous, 15-12 is just...ugh. 

this is what i said a week ago and had almost no one agree with me and many upset that i was so negative.  it is what it is.  i still love watching each game, and am so bummed we didn't pull that one out last night.  we should win a few against weak teams now and get excited again, but then we'll hit the B1G schedule.  

14 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

this is what i said a week ago and had almost no one agree with me and many upset that i was so negative.  it is what it is.  i still love watching each game, and am so bummed we didn't pull that one out last night.  we should win a few against weak teams now and get excited again, but then we'll hit the B1G schedule.  

You're awfully sensitive to anyone "criticizing" blanket negative statements. You said you've coached for 30+ years so I would think you could lend us laymen a hand. Provide some insight. 

I'm not adverse to criticizing the team or players for specific things, but I don't particularly like the blanket "I don't see anything different from past years" statements without meat to back it up...

Last night I saw a team that was undersized, on the road, playing great defense, that battled a big team to even on the boards. I saw a team that needs to get scoring from our backcourt. I saw a team that needs to keep scraping and fighting, One or 2 plays made a big difference in this one...

We were not going to go undefeated. I don't particularly like "moral victories" but seeing a team fight like that on the road against a ranked opponent gives me hope and confidence that this will be a competitive team in a very competitive conference.

9 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

One thing that I have been thinking is this season hasn’t loaded up on cupcakes. We are playing (mostly) tough top tier teams. These types of games will serve us well later in the season. 

That is understandable but we need to beat a few ranked teams.

2 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Again, Hunter played 16 min.  The Where art thou question should be directed at CAM. In 16 min Hunter accounted for half our 3’s (team shot 4-15) and 3 boards. Galloway played 20 had 0 points, a board and a TO. What happens if Hunter plays 25 min? That really stood out to me. 

Archived