Florida State Postgame Thread

KDB

10 hours ago, slojoe said:

CAM was talking about getting more offense out of defense and fast breaks, but you just can't count on that on a regular basis.  You have to able to run a good half court offense these days especially in B1G.

Agree.

So a question I have, I know that there is a limit on the assistants that you can have for a program.  They allow you a strength and conditioning coach, but is there a way to get a "shot doctor" type of position in your AD?  Like Dakich was DOBO for awhile, could you make a spot for a guy who does some other things but is really there to step in every now and again to work on fixing player's shot mechanics?  Buckley filled that role for Crean...I think this team needs a Buckley.

On another note, I see a bunch of emphasis in the summer on that strength and conditioning program, but for all the pictures (that I think are a bit of theater) showing how cut our guys are now is not translating to the court.  We are building all these guys that supposedly have Greek Statue physiques but we still get knocked off the ball a whole bunch when going to the rim.  We don't have many guys who power through contact IMO and to me that is an indictment of that program.  If you can't shoot the three, you need to go to the hole and force contact and you need to be able to finish through that contact more often than not because you won't always get calls.

Right now, I would prefer a slightly more chubby Race that was hitting about 10% higher on shots.  Seems we spend a bunch of time on verticals and things like that which are not helping in games.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

eh, i'm not completely sold on Arch, but this is kind of a weird time for this to come up.  we're not gonna fire him mid season and the loss to FSU in OT is nothing to be super up in arms over.  i guess my feeling right now is that as BGleas said, we're starting to see his personality in this team at least a little now.  better defense, i think better toughness?  i really hope we are finding/getting that identity to an extent.  that said, i always say college coaches should get a minimum 4 years and he's there.  now, if we don't have the "home run" hire in our pocket, it's dangerous playing the revolving coach game.  the thing to keep in mind is that based on talent, whoever is coaching them next year (and i assume it will be Arch) is in for a rough one.  lose TJD, Al, and Brunk and not gain any immediate impact players is a scary proposition.  

Not sure if this is the best place for this or not, but we are continuing to move in the right direction as a program. I think a lot of you need to get comfortable with the fact that we aren't ever going to play pretty basketball under Archie, but that doesn't mean we won't play winning basketball. 

image.png.399107e5a5980580727a968d3d1bf324.png

https://twitter.com/sportspartizan/status/1337434178422501377?s=20

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

eh, i'm not completely sold on Arch, but this is kind of a weird time for this to come up.  we're not gonna fire him mid season and the loss to FSU in OT is nothing to be super up in arms over.  i guess my feeling right now is that as BGleas said, we're starting to see his personality in this team at least a little now.  better defense, i think better toughness?  i really hope we are finding/getting that identity to an extent.  that said, i always say college coaches should get a minimum 4 years and he's there.  now, if we don't have the "home run" hire in our pocket, it's dangerous playing the revolving coach game.  the thing to keep in mind is that based on talent, whoever is coaching them next year (and i assume it will be Arch) is in for a rough one.  lose TJD, Al, and Brunk and not gain any immediate impact players is a scary proposition.  

Well said -- but note that we do not necessarily lose any of those guys and particularly Al and Brunk -- Everyone has an extra year of eligibility. I tend to think Brunk will probably move on and maybe Al, but we don't know. On top of that, the transfer rules now change the entire equation. There will be lots of transfers out there. We just don't know what next year's team will look like -- 

We do know, though, that Lander -- #1 PG in his class -- will be back next year after a full year to acclimate to the college game. We do know that we have guys like Geronimo, Galloway, etc. who are almost certainly going to be very, very good next year. I have a rosier outlook, vbg.

22 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Not sure if this is the best place for this or not, but we are continuing to move in the right direction as a program. I think a lot of you need to get comfortable with the fact that we aren't ever going to play pretty basketball under Archie, but that doesn't mean we won't play winning basketball. 

image.png.399107e5a5980580727a968d3d1bf324.png

https://twitter.com/sportspartizan/status/1337434178422501377?s=20

And what does Scott think of those metrics?

5 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Well said -- but note that we do not necessarily lose any of those guys and particularly Al and Brunk -- Everyone has an extra year of eligibility. I tend to think Brunk will probably move on and maybe Al, but we don't know. On top of that, the transfer rules now change the entire equation. There will be lots of transfers out there. We just don't know what next year's team will look like -- 

We do know, though, that Lander -- #1 PG in his class -- will be back next year after a full year to acclimate to the college game. We do know that we have guys like Geronimo, Galloway, etc. who are almost certainly going to be very, very good next year. I have a rosier outlook, vbg.

as not ready as Lander looks right now, i agree about him next year, but seriously, without transfers what will our starting lineup look like?  Lander, Franklin, RP, Hunter or Galloway, Thompson?  

22 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

We aren’t going to write Mike White a $7 M per year contract to get him here.

Why would we?  Zero evidence that is anything more than a lateral move.

If I'm paying $7 mil, I'd want someone better.  With what I've seen out of Coach K lately, I wouldn't pay HIM $7 million.

My coach is on the floor.

11 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

not a bad lineup, but hard to see why anyone would think it would be any better than this year.

You, my friend, are decidedly a glass half empty man. Vbg. Seriously though I think our perspectives change how we view things. 
Why anyone might think it would be better seems to be two questions to me: 1) how good are we now - very much remains to be seen, but I think this team will continue to develop into a good tourney team; and 2) which of these guys will develop well with solid jumps by next season? Geronimo is a beast. I wonder what you said about OG or Vic and why would our team be better in their next years? If you can’t see the promise in guys like Galloway and Geronimo I don’t know how to talk with you about how a team improves.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

You, my friend, are decidedly a glass half empty man. Vbg. Seriously though I think our perspectives change how we view things. 
Why anyone might think it would be better seems to be two questions to me: 1) how good are we now - very much remains to be seen, but I think this team will continue to develop into a good tourney team; and 2) which of these guys will develop well with solid jumps by next season? Geronimo is a beast. I wonder what you said about OG or Vic and why would our team be better in their next years? If you can’t see the promise in guys like Galloway and Geronimo I don’t know how to talk with you about how a team improves.

i get what you're saying, and i am admittedly critical.  Galloway looks okay for what my expectations would have been.  not a big time player, but role player.  haven't seen anything out of Geronimo, but sure, it sounds like he's a great athlete.  still a stretch to see him going from not playing to being a big factor next year. 

8 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i get what you're saying, and i am admittedly critical.  Galloway looks okay for what my expectations would have been.  not a big time player, but role player.  haven't seen anything out of Geronimo, but sure, it sounds like he's a great athlete.  still a stretch to see him going from not playing to being a big factor next year. 

Hmm. Galloway has already shown, immediately as a frosh, a strong downhill / to the rim game. He’s already good and already getting played about 20 min a game. How much better he gets turns on how he develops his shot (needs real work), rebounding, and imo (differing from others here) his overall D.

Geronimo is far, far from just an athlete man. POY out of NH, already strong defensively, developing his shot, he has the potential to be the best player on the team. CAM has already publicly said he may be the most talented kid he’s recruited. How can you hear something like that and think gee nice athlete but can’t see him being a factor? He has monster potential, and that’s not an overstatement. Whether he realizes his potential remains to be seen, but he is very much like a young OG or Vic 

59 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Hmm. Galloway has already shown, immediately as a frosh, a strong downhill / to the rim game. He’s already good and already getting played about 20 min a game. How much better he gets turns on how he develops his shot (needs real work), rebounding, and imo (differing from others here) his overall D.

Geronimo is far, far from just an athlete man. POY out of NH, already strong defensively, developing his shot, he has the potential to be the best player on the team. CAM has already publicly said he may be the most talented kid he’s recruited. How can you hear something like that and think gee nice athlete but can’t see him being a factor? He has monster potential, and that’s not an overstatement. Whether he realizes his potential remains to be seen, but he is very much like a young OG or Vic 

don't get me wrong, i am happy with Galloway so far, but he is complete non-threat to score right now.  i'm just saying right now, but to go from that he'd need to make very big strides in a short amount of time.  same with Geronimo.  i hear the praise and believe it, but i'm not saying he'll never be good or never be a factor.  i'm saying it's hard to imagine him going from not even getting in close games right now to being a scoring factor by next year.  of course it's possible though.  i sure hope those things happen!  i guess on the positive spin, we can hope and expect that RP and franklin will only be better.  Race is showing a lot to be excited about.  we can certainly hope Hunter reaches his potential.  i really expect Lander to be the real deal... all that said, that's a lot of big if's by November or we would be in for a really long year.  my guess is similar or a little weaker than this year when you are taking a guy like TJD out of the equation.  

7 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

don't get me wrong, i am happy with Galloway so far, but he is complete non-threat to score right now.  i'm just saying right now, but to go from that he'd need to make very big strides in a short amount of time.  same with Geronimo.  i hear the praise and believe it, but i'm not saying he'll never be good or never be a factor.  i'm saying it's hard to imagine him going from not even getting in close games right now to being a scoring factor by next year.  of course it's possible though.  i sure hope those things happen!  i guess on the positive spin, we can hope and expect that RP and franklin will only be better.  Race is showing a lot to be excited about.  we can certainly hope Hunter reaches his potential.  i really expect Lander to be the real deal... all that said, that's a lot of big if's by November or we would be in for a really long year.  my guess is similar or a little weaker than this year when you are taking a guy like TJD out of the equation.  

I agree with you both, but I hear what you're saying for sure. I think a key sentence in your post was "I sure hope those things happen!" I'm kind of tired of hoping with this program. 

We've had maybe 2 seasons in the last 15 years or so where we didn't need to hope, we knew we had a really good, ready to compete for a title (at least Big Ten title) team. I think fans are getting tired of going into seasons knowing we have 1-2 ready-to-go guys and then hoping 5-6 other guys make leaps just for the team to compete for a 4th or 5th place finish and if those guys don't make a leap we'll probably finish 10th.

We're tired of that as fans, so I get the frustration. 

11 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

So Galloway already has scored well in games, he just didn’t last game. Are you not following games until Fla State? And Geronimo is a frosh who CAM is working in as he grows his college game. Your inclination to ignore that CAM has said he is the most talented kid he’s recruited is just odd to me.

5 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

So Galloway already has scored well in games, he just didn’t last game. Are you not following games until Fla State? And Geronimo is a frosh who CAM is working in as he grows his college game. Your inclination to ignore that CAM has said he is the most talented kid he’s recruited is just odd to me.

That’s Coach speak. If he is so talented he would be on the floor. Galloway is. Heck even Armaan as a freshman last year was getting more minutes then Geronimo. I ignore Coach speak....I look at actions not words. More talented then Romeo...Trayce...it’s obvious Coach speak for potential...but he isn’t playing now so it isn’t talent.

Also Galloway hasn’t scored more than 5 pts since the first game against a walk over. He is 3-15 from the field since then. Hardly impressive.

Archived