Florida State Postgame Thread

KDB

17 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Again, Hunter played 16 min.  The Where art thou question should be directed at CAM. In 16 min Hunter accounted for half our 3’s (team shot 4-15) and 3 boards. Galloway played 20 had 0 points, a board and a TO. What happens if Hunter plays 25 min? That really stood out to me. 

I'm not sure how well we'll do down the road with all of our starters playing 30+ minutes a game. I did think CAM needed to use the bench more particularly in the 2nd half. 

Hunter's issues are on the defensive end. It wasn't glaring last night that I saw, but that's historically been the case. I'd like to be in the room when CAM breaks down the film to see why Jerome didn't get more minutes.

He did shoot with confidence though...And that's a step in the right direction...

As for Galloway, as I said before, he's not going to stuff the stat sheet at this point in his career...But he's always in front of his defender, is rarely out of position, and scrapes the whole time...Lots of things, as they say, that don't show up on the scoresheet...

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You're awfully sensitive to anyone "criticizing" blanket negative statements. You said you've coached for 30+ years so I would think you could lend us laymen a hand. Provide some insight. 

I'm not adverse to criticizing the team or players for specific things, but I don't particularly like the blanket "I don't see anything different from past years" statements without meat to back it up...

Last night I saw a team that was undersized, on the road, playing great defense, that battled a big team to even on the boards. I saw a team that needs to get scoring from our backcourt. I saw a team that needs to keep scraping and fighting, One or 2 plays made a big difference in this one...

We were not going to go undefeated. I don't particularly like "moral victories" but seeing a team fight like that on the road against a ranked opponent gives me hope and confidence that this will be a competitive team in a very competitive conference.

sorry man.  i know you want "proof," research, stats, whatever.  i'm just giving my opinion like anyone else.  not gonna type out long researched analysis.  my opinion isn't any more important than your's or anyone else's.  just seems like some of you guys get super upset every time people say something you disagree with or God forbid something critical.  it's all good.  just understand i don't need "proof" from you on your opinion.  you just see things much more differently than i do.  that's not a problem with me.  have a great day!  Go Hoosiers!

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

sorry man.  i know you want "proof," research, stats, whatever.  i'm just giving my opinion like anyone else.  not gonna type out long researched analysis.  my opinion isn't any more important than your's or anyone else's.  just seems like some of you guys get super upset every time people say something you disagree with or God forbid something critical.  it's all good.  just understand i don't need "proof" from you on your opinion.  you just see things much more differently than i do.  that's not a problem with me.  have a great day!  Go Hoosiers!

Well, I do live in a world where truth is built upon fact, rather than "the eye test" or conjecture...I'll give you that...

20 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

And to be clear, I'm not asking for "stats" or "research." I'm thinking someone who has coached for 30+ years has some insight on what certain players are doing right or wrong on both sides of the ball...

Coach Tony criticizes our players/play but through the miracle of the internet, provides us with evidence on why he says what he does...And he's a valued and respected member on this forum...

Not trying to push you into that spotlight, but I'd think you might like to help some of us who love the game but have never coached it...

22 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm not sure how well we'll do down the road with all of our starters playing 30+ minutes a game. I did think CAM needed to use the bench more particularly in the 2nd half. 

Hunter's issues are on the defensive end. It wasn't glaring last night that I saw, but that's historically been the case. I'd like to be in the room when CAM breaks down the film to see why Jerome didn't get more minutes.

He did shoot with confidence though...And that's a step in the right direction...

As for Galloway, as I said before, he's not going to stuff the stat sheet at this point in his career...But he's always in front of his defender, is rarely out of position, and scrapes the whole time...Lots of things, as they say, that don't show up on the scoresheet...

The only issue I take here is with the idea Galloway is always in front of his man defensively. I see him slow defensively, slow laterally, and often lost on D. He is not better than Hunter defensively he just isn’t. He’s also not rebounding well.

He’s a green frosh with a lot of upside, he works his tail off, he’s exceptionally strong downhill and, when he gets there, finishing at the rim. But his shot definitely needs work.Bottom line in this game he did not help the team offensively, in a one basket OT game, and the guy that could was limited to 16 min. That’s just a bad call from CAM - and you know I’m no CAM hater.

I could be wrong but I think Galloway is being played more, more on a positional basis. I think that needs to change.

And frankly Lander barely seeing the floor was a bad look.

My limited posts in this thread make me sound negative — maybe a refreshing change to some lol — but on the team I’m pretty encouraged. Hard fought battle on the road against a deservedly ranked, bigger, experienced Very well coached team that almost never loses at home, and we lost by a basket in OT, including fighting them on the glass. We have a good team with a guy in TJD who is playing like one of the best in the country. We have solid vet guards - they didn’t score well last night but the decision making is much better and that is why, along with TJD, we were in it to the end.

But Hunter and Lander both should have played more, and leaving Galloway in for 20 in that game was just poor coaching decision making. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

The only issue I take here is with the idea Galloway is always in front of his man defensively. I see him slow defensively, slow laterally, and often lost on D. He is not better than Hunter defensively he just isn’t. He’s also not rebounding well.

He’s a green frosh with a lot of upside, he works his tail off, he’s exceptionally strong downhill and, when he gets there, finishing at the rim. But his shot definitely needs work.Bottom line in this game he did not help the team offensively, in a one basket OT game, and the guy that could was limited to 16 min. That’s just a bad call from CAM - and you know I’m no CAM hater.

I could be wrong but I think Galloway is being played more, more on a positional basis. I think that needs to change.

And frankly Lander barely seeing the floor was a bad look.

My limited posts in this thread make me sound negative — maybe a refreshing change to some lol — but on the team I’m pretty encouraged. Hard fought battle on the road against a deservedly ranked, bigger, experienced Very well coached team that almost never loses at home, and we lost by a basket in OT, including fighting them on the glass. We have a good team with a guy in TJD who is playing like one of the best in the country. We have solid vet guards - they didn’t score well last night but the decision making is much better and that is why, along with TJD, we were in it to the end.

But Hunter and Lander both should have played more, and leaving Galloway in for 20 in that game was just poor coaching decision making. 

Welcome to the support group!  LOL

6 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I guess we see it differently...I think Trey is a much better on the ball and in position defender than Jerome...FSU players kept thinking they could get around Trey but he was in front of his man the whole night...They got bailed out twice on calls that I thought were good defense...If you have it DVRed, go back and take a look...I plan to...If I'm seeing it wrong, I'll be the first to admit it...

But then there are the things that a practiced eye like CAM sees that you and I don't...And I think that is why Calloway sees minutes...

As a side note, did anyone else notice the number of shots changed or blocked by TJD on help side defense? I was impressed by that...

55 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Again, Hunter played 16 min.  The Where art thou question should be directed at CAM. In 16 min Hunter accounted for half our 3’s (team shot 4-15) and 3 boards. Galloway played 20 had 0 points, a board and a TO. What happens if Hunter plays 25 min? That really stood out to me. 

That is fair.  16 mins is solid but for someone of Hunters caliber or potential CAM needs to get him more minutes.  

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I guess we see it differently...I think Trey is a much better on the ball and in position defender than Jerome...FSU players kept thinking they could get around him but he was in front of his man the whole night...They got bailed out twice on calls that I thought were good defense...If you have it DVRed, go back and take a look...I plan to...If I'm seeing it wrong, I'll be the first to admit it...

But then there are the things that a practiced eye like CAM sees that you and I don't...And I think that is why Calloway sees minutes...

As a side note, did anyone else notice the number of shots changed or blocked by TJD on help side defense? I was impressed by that...

Here’s where I really enjoy and appreciate Coach Tony’s breakdowns. I have coached some basketball and could say I’m a “student of the game” for how much ball I watch (kind of tongue in cheek vbg) but I would never hold myself out as a real coach and while I understand sets etc those game breakdowns are just so informative, you get to see things in slow mo that you just don’t see in a game unless you’re a coach with that level of experience. I will be interested to see how this game gets broken down.

On Hunter, CAM did not have confidence in him defensively last year. And Hunter was getting his legs, conditioning, timing and confidence back, and got it going in February. We don’t get to see practices, and what guys do in practice earns them floor time, but again, Galloway did nothing offensively in this game, did nothing on the glass, and we needed perimeter scoring. Hell, one Extra basket from Hunter would have won this game. In his limited time he grabbed 3 boards and obviously was scoring with confidence- we needed that. 

Tough loss. We competed and almost overcame our sloppy play- and the officials. It is evident we have one top level guy in TJD. He needs help.  Our bench was not a factor. We have a great defense but little consistency from anyone not named Trayce on O. We will not compete at the the top of the conference until someone else can be that guy. The guy to get us a basket when we need one if TJD is on the bench or taken out of a play. Al tried to be aggressive when we needed some scores late but couldn't get it done.  Galloway has that in him as well but missed his layups. Rob started off ok but then got lost in the game. If he take just a few more shots per game, it would really help.

11 minutes ago, rico said:

Exit Rob and Al from the starting line-up.  Enter Lander and Hunter.

I'd like to try the Hunter for Al exchange...I think out of our 3 guards, Al is the weakest defender...not saying he's terrible, just not as good as Armaan or Rob on the ball...And I think Jerome can come close to that level of D while providing a tad more offensively...

1 minute ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

My understanding is that all the playing time in the world is available for Jerome, but he needs to show more on the boards and on D. 

That is all fine and well, but it would be nice to have an outside presence on offense.

Our guy, TDH weighs in...

"With under a minute to go in regulation, Indiana held a 42-31 rebounding edge over the Seminoles.

Less than six minutes later, at the end of overtime, the rebounding battle was deadlocked at 44.

The details within that 13-2 Seminoles rebounding run was the difference in the game.

“Our inability to get some scrappy ones (rebounds), our inability to get some big ones, especially late, is disappointing,” Miller said after the game.  “That’s something that we can control.”

Wow...great point...

Did the tired factor play into that?

21 minutes ago, rico said:

Exit Rob and Al from the starting line-up.  Enter Lander and Hunter.

Absolutely.   And this is a sore spot with current coach.  He flat refuses to make adjustments once starting lineup is set in his mind. 

Thinking back to a game last season when Hunter got extended time in a few games and his confidence soared.  Al and Rob have had more than their opportunity to prove how they play and shoot.  Neither would start for the type of team we all want to become.  Bench players.  

Lander can’t shoot but I would take my lumps with him as he is easily the best ball handler on the team.  

Phinisee and Al both drove into traffic in shocking fashion in light of their game experience last night, threw up several running layups that would be better classified as wishes rather than shooting, and both make me nervous when they handle the ball against pressure.  

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

These are coaching and style of play preferences, but I'd imagine Galloway played over Hunter because he's a more athletic perimeter defender and also maybe even more because he's better equipped to be a secondary ball handler against FSU's full court pressure. You don't really want Hunter in a position to have to break down a press. 

Galloway was in that position a few times and handled it fairly well. 

I'm not necessarily advocating for Galloway to play over Hunter, just giving what I think Archie's logic may have been in this game. 

IU needs to find a way to get Hunter more involved though. Probably Hunter and Durham are the only guys that shoot the 3 ball with confidence. 

Was flipping around the different B1G games, my first real viewing of IU this season. Tough loss of course but damn FSU always seems to have such huge athletic dudes. TJD is really, really good in case you didn't know. 😁 Didn't see your new frosh PG playing, was he out?

Weird schedules this year, Illinois starts Big Ten play Tuesday but I see IU's first conference game isn't until the 23rd? 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

These are coaching and style of play preferences, but I'd imagine Galloway played over Hunter because he's a more athletic perimeter defender and also maybe even more because he's better equipped to be a secondary ball handler against FSU's full court pressure. You don't really want Hunter in a position to have to break down a press. 

Galloway was in that position a few times and handled it fairly well. 

I'm not necessarily advocating for Galloway to play over Hunter, just giving what I think Archie's logic may have been in this game. 

IU needs to find a way to get Hunter more involved though. Probably Hunter and Durham are the only guys that shoot the 3 ball with confidence. 

Yeah, Al has never took a shot he didn't like...LOL

Archived