North Alabama Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

12 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I think the jury is still out on Armaan...his defense this year is much improved...we saw what he CAN do offensively against ND last year...

He hasn't reached his ceiling...in my opinion, Al has...

I don’t think Armaan will ever be a really good shooter. His shot is broker then the Ten Commandments. I’m saying the good games are anomalies. When he is finishing at the rim that is the best case scenario. He isn’t going to consistently knock down shots. It isnt like Newman who might not be quite as good a defender (although he hasn’t looked bad) who is shooting over 40% from 3 and also rebounding. He is playing much better at the offensive end albeit against lesser competition but outside the Valpo game when he has gotten an open look he is knocking it down consistently. Makes me wonder if Archie just valued defense that much over shooting because in high school we all knew Newman was the better shooter scorer. I’m still under the impression that defense can be taught a whole lot easier than shooting.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

His shot is broker then a two dollar whore.

I what way? Bad form? 

I hate to keep repeating myself but shooting is dictated by form, repetition, and confidence...And the last one is the one that comes and goes, and is sometimes the hardest to fix...

I think his form is fine...I'm sure he's getting plenty of repetitions...

Someone, might have been you, was talking about weight lifting possibly harming shooting...This article disputes that...

"Myth No. 3: Lifting Will Affect my Shooting Ability and My Shot
Look, I've never seen a person's shot get worse from lifting. Shooting is a basketball skill (a fine motor skill at that) which requires thousands of hours and repetitions of practice to develop; and it doesn't just go away from a few weeks of lifting.

If you're a serious basketball player you should be shooting regularly anyway. As long as you continue to shoot regularly, the extra strength will do nothing but help your shot improve by making it easier and more effortless."

That was my personal experience as well...When I started seriously lifting, getting the ball to the basket was easier and I didn't lose touch...

Could be Armaan is just having to adjust the changes to his body over the summer...I do hope he starts finding a consistent stroke though...

1 minute ago, Parakeet Jones said:

This has been my impression of him for a while now. 

Same. CAM is a defense - first coach. He wants and recruits shooting, but so far I think it takes a back seat to D, and his offensive approach seems to be more focused on taking care of the ball — avoiding the fast break off missed long shots — than on creating space and taking the outside shot. However he does talk about outside shooting so waiting to see how our shooting develops 

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I what way? Bad form? 

I hate to keep repeating myself but shooting is dictated by form, repetition, and confidence...And the last one is the one that comes and goes, and is sometimes the hardest to fix...

I think his form is fine...I'm sure he's getting plenty of repetitions...

Someone, might have been you, was talking about weight lifting possibly harming shooting...This article disputes that...

"Myth No. 3: Lifting Will Affect my Shooting Ability and My Shot
Look, I've never seen a person's shot get worse from lifting. Shooting is a basketball skill (a fine motor skill at that) which requires thousands of hours and repetitions of practice to develop; and it doesn't just go away from a few weeks of lifting.

If you're a serious basketball player you should be shooting regularly anyway. As long as you continue to shoot regularly, the extra strength will do nothing but help your shot improve by making it easier and more effortless."

That was my personal experience as well...When I started seriously lifting, getting the ball to the basket was easier and I didn't lose touch...

Could be Armaan is just having to adjust the changes to his body over the summer...I do hope he starts finding a consistent stroke though...

I agree with your article in this theory. Strength certainly makes shots more effortless. That said there are more than one type of strength training. Two do the players have enough repetition to get used to said new shot?? Doesn’t seem like it if that is what is causing the issue (which I don’t think is the case). Armaan shot is broke because he has no touch. Kids that aren’t even drawing iron...on many shots...bricking the rest and not even close to the right range or even missing dead center...those kids can’t shoot. It isn’t like he is rimming out..just short or a little long...he is wide right, wide left....way way long. If he was a prolific shooter in high school I’d say it may come around...but the kid has never shown that shooting is a strength for him. Be honest...the kid can’t shoot. I will venture to say he will never be even a 35% 3pt shooter. He may do better on twos because he gets to the rim but even from range he won’t shoot a high percentage. The kid shot 26% last year from 3....and this year is shooting a lights out 16%. I know it’s early but I’d venture to say unless left unguarded and unrushed you will not see many 3s go in. 

I agree with your article in this theory. Strength certainly makes shots more effortless. That said there are more than one type of strength training. Two do the players have enough repetition to get used to said new shot?? Doesn’t seem like it if that is what is causing the issue (which I don’t think is the case). Armaan shot is broke because he has no touch. Kids that aren’t even drawing iron...on many shots...bricking the rest and not even close to the right range or even missing dead center...those kids can’t shoot. It isn’t like he is rimming out..just short or a little long...he is wide right, wide left....way way long. If he was a prolific shooter in high school I’d say it may come around...but the kid has never shown that shooting is a strength for him. Be honest...the kid can’t shoot. I will venture to say he will never be even a 35% 3pt shooter. He may do better on twos because he gets to the rim but even from range he won’t shoot a high percentage. The kid shot 26% last year from 3....and this year is shooting a lights out 16%. I know it’s early but I’d venture to say unless left unguarded and unrushed you will not see many 3s go in. 

According to MaxPreps he was a pretty good 3 point shooter in high school...37% over all and 39% as a senior...

I guess we'll see...But it'd sure be nice if he finds his shot to at least 35%...And Jerome would get his defense in order...

39 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

According to MaxPreps he was a pretty good 3 point shooter in high school...37% over all and 39% as a senior...

I guess we'll see...But it'd sure be nice if he finds his shot to at least 35%...And Jerome would get his defense in order...

Yes would add a needed dimension. Just saying a below 40% 3 pt shooter in high school to me is not an elite shooter. Good but not elite. I mean I played with a kid that would regularly pull up and hit 30 footers and could hit 25-30 3s in a row without missing in practice sessions and would shoot hundreds a day. Come game time he was going to hit 7-8 no problem. Stuff like I’m sure the Iowa kids do..and we just don’t seem to be recruiting those type of kids.

Anyways going back to your about lifting I’m much bigger advocate for getting a strong core, strong legs. Strength and muscle building to me is too kinda different things. To me my shooting came from my legs, endurance. I look at prolific 3pt shooters and I wouldn’t say any are physical specimens. I’m sure there are exceptions but Curry, Thompson, Miller, Bird none had bulging biceps and stout chests. 
Now if you are going to the rim you need to be physically bigger to take and finish through contact. To help body up and defend. This is why I think our guys are emphasizing bulking up because they already can’t shoot and are being told to attack the rim...keep their defender out of the lane with body and position. Seems that is Archies focus for them.

Strength and muscle building to me is too kinda different things.

Very different...I don't think I advocated for the latter beyond the natural occurrence for young athletes to put on some muscle during weight training. But having lifted most of my life, I'm aware of the differences in techniques and outcomes...

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Armaan doesn't shoot well outside the arc, but he's a 75% FT shooter and is over 50% on twos. He has a solid mid-range jumper.

As a sophomore, Oladipo was 10-48 from 3 (20.8%). He was over 50% on twos and 75% from FT line. His junior year he was 30-68 from 3 (44%). Did the coaching staff alter his shot or was it repetition and confidence?

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Armaan doesn't shoot well outside the arc, but he's a 75% FT shooter and is over 50% on twos. He has a solid mid-range jumper.

As a sophomore, Oladipo was 10-48 from 3 (20.8%). He was over 50% on twos and 75% from FT line. His junior year he was 30-68 from 3 (44%). Did the coaching staff alter his shot or was it repetition and confidence?

If you think Armaan will turn into a top 3 pick in the draft and one off case...sure your absolutely right. I wouldn’t bet on it though. Like I said...he can shoot a good percentage on twos because he gets to the rim. He can hit free throws because he is not being guarded and can take his time. The kid can’t shoot from outside. Anyways I don’t want to beat the kid up. I just don’t see him ever being a shooter.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

If you think Armaan will turn into a top 3 pick in the draft and one off case...sure your absolutely right. I wouldn’t bet on it though. Like I said...he can shoot a good percentage on twos because he gets to the rim. He can hit free throws because he is not being guarded and can take his time. The kid can’t shoot from outside. Anyways I don’t want to beat the kid up. I just don’t see him ever being a shooter.

I think you hit on it. He shoots 75% on FTs because he can take his time. If his shot mechanics were bad, it wouldn't matter. His 3s look rushed at times, which would suggest confidence. Not suggesting he'll make a VO leap, but early in Vic's sophomore year, no one was suggesting he'd be a top 3 draft pick or be a 44% 3 point shooter. I don't expect the same jump from Armaan either.

8 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I think you hit on it. He shoots 75% on FTs because he can take his time. If his shot mechanics were bad, it wouldn't matter. His 3s look rushed at times, which would suggest confidence. Not suggesting he'll make a VO leap, but early in Vic's sophomore year, no one was suggesting he'd be a top 3 draft pick or be a 44% 3 point shooter. I don't expect the same jump from Armaan either.

That’s good you don’t think he will make that jump. We have to stop thinking every recruit will be a once in a lifetime result like vic. I don’t expect it because he has never done it before. He wasn’t a shooter from distance in HS and to think at a higher level he is going to take that leap is a long shot. We would be very fortunate to see 33% I think. That would be double his current percentage and almost 10% better than last year. I also wouldn’t consider 75% free throw shooter a good marker for being a good 3pt shooter or having good form. 85-90% yes....I’ve seen bad shooters shoot 75% from the line. Not Shaq bad but not what I would call shooters.

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'd beg to differ.  Armaan was a good shooter from distance in high school. Kid is barely a quarter of the way through his college career. Let's not write him off just yet. 

Yeah, I see a ton of potential with Franklin. He's got a really good mid-range jumper, he's a good free throw shooter and his confidence is growing in attacking the basket and finishing. It's not crazy to think that a player with his skills that works as hard as a player does in a major D1 program would improve his 3pt shooting over his career (similar to an Al Durham in the specific area). 

If Franklin can develop into a 37/38%ish 3-pt shooter, he'll be a fantastic player. 

48 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Actually around these parts it’s called LA 

Lower Alabama 

It sure is...

I've made the trip  from the Florida panhandle, up 331, to 65, to 24, to 57, to 64 to Belleville, Illinois (wife's hometown) dozens of times...

Upper Alabama is much more gentrified...But the people in Lower Alabama are some of the nicest people you will ever meet...

Archived