North Ala Post Game

42 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Still disappointed with free throw shooting. 58%?  

How do you fix this?  It's been going on for years.

I honestly think that had to do with the opponent and because they weren't good the concentration wasn't there. Against the 4 decent or good opponents IU has shot 75%, 69%, 80%, and 75%. Against a bad TN Tech team they shot 45.5% and now 58% against another bad team.

It's a bit concerning that their concentration in such easy shots can swing so much game to game but I think they'll be ok.

Both of those bad shooting games were also in Assembly Hall and the others weren't so I hope it's not the location. That would be bad if they can't hit FT at home.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of the crowd situation, why are we not allowing any fans other than family and whatnot when Florida State had around 3,000 and so did UK the other night? Actually it sounded fairly loud at Rupp Arena at least from my television and I'm sure that still gives them an advantage, albeit not as large as usual. This is not fair IMO how some of our opponents allow fans but we don't. Is this a Big Ten rule or is it up to each University to decide?

1 hour ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

The kid has one of the quickest, accurate passing instincts and ability that I don't think we have seen since the glory days.  

The Galloway three, where Lander ball faked to the left side of the court and quickly hit Trey in his shooting pocket was BEAUTIFUL. 

1 hour ago, madmax said:

Regardless of the opponent it was good to see some threes drop against the zone. Hopefully that can go along way towards giving everybody some confidence behind the arc. Seems pretty clear Arman Franklin is the most improved player, and I don’t think it’s particularly close.

Still early, but Kenpom gets more accurate as the season goes.

Has us as 15 overall with the 37th ranked offense and 11th ranked defense. 4th in the big ten.

Race? I think they've both taken major steps forward. 

11 minutes ago, DunkinDipo said:

Speaking of the crowd situation, why are we not allowing any fans other than family and whatnot when Florida State had around 3,000 and so did UK the other night? Actually it sounded fairly loud at Rupp Arena at least from my television and I'm sure that still gives them an advantage, albeit not as large as usual. This is not fair IMO how some of our opponents allow fans but we don't. Is this a Big Ten rule or is it up to each University to decide?

Well Indiana is one of the four worst Covid places on the planet per capita and the football team had an outbreak this week....

Just finished re-watching the game.  the biggest thing that sticks out to me right now is what Jerome Hunter didn't give IU.  I've been in this kid's corner and I really want him to make a huge leap, but if he doesn't do it soon, he's going to get passed by.

It's still early, but if I'm Jerome watching guys like Armaan Franklin and Trey Galloway, I'm feeling some pressure to perform.

7 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Except Green was a senior in college and Lander should be a senior in high school. I expect things will slow down as he gets more adjusted to the speed of the game.

Ya, i know.  Just poking the bear a little bit.  I have no doubt Lander will take off once his head stop swimming and he can just react rather than have to think about it.

I went back and re-watched the game...Didn't see much more than what's been posted here...

I think watching Leal more closely, I was even more impressed...He was easily the best player at the top of the key in dealing with their zone...pass fakes, knew where to deliver the ball, solid decision making, and really nice screening...

I think by next year he'll be a solid contributor...And I'm really stoked about the future of IU basketball...

7 hours ago, DunkinDipo said:

I'm with you. Regardless of spikes, etc....the rules should be made by local decisions not some group that has obviously lacked in leadership the past 9 months.

Hopefully we can get fans back in soon. 

7 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Just finished re-watching the game.  the biggest thing that sticks out to me right now is what Jerome Hunter didn't give IU.  I've been in this kid's corner and I really want him to make a huge leap, but if he doesn't do it soon, he's going to get passed by.

It's still early, but if I'm Jerome watching guys like Armaan Franklin and Trey Galloway, I'm feeling some pressure to perform.

Interesting - I actually thought Hunter looked okay, sans the poor shooting. What did you see? 

51 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Interesting - I actually thought Hunter looked okay, sans the poor shooting. What did you see? 

30 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

And tied for team-high rebounding.

His defense was not good...One time had a perfect opportunity to take a charge, but backed up instead and gave the NA kid a 3 point play...And there were other gaffes...2 turnovers that were not forced by the other team weren't good either...just slipped out of his hands...

His rebounding was pretty good, and I liked the fight he showed on one particular offensive rebound...But I think we all know, until he can cut it on the defensive end, he's going to have his time on the floor limited...especially with the emergence of some other players...

I do think he can make a difference shooting the ball on this team...I saw him having a confidence in his shot, even if it wasn't falling yesterday...

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

His defense was not good...One time had a perfect opportunity to take a charge, but backed up instead and gave the NA kid a 3 point play...And there were other gaffes...2 turnovers that were not forced by the other team weren't good either...just slipped out of his hands...

His rebounding was pretty good, and I liked the fight he showed on one particular offensive rebound...But I think we all know, until he can cut it on the defensive end, he's going to have his time on the floor limited...especially with the emergence of some other players...

I do think he can make a difference shooting the ball on this team...I saw him having a confidence in his shot, even if it wasn't falling yesterday...

This is one of those things that seems to be in the eye of the beholder. When  you tie for team high boards at 7, saying pretty good is kind of underwhelming. He tied TJD for highest boards. Compare that to some of the other rebounding numbers on the team. Saying his D was not good is subjective here, imo. There were several lapses by others especially in the first half, a number of guys had mediocre defensive efforts. And his shooting, as CAM has repeatedly said, he's one of the 3 best shooters on the team, yes his shooting absolutely can help. He didn't shoot well in this game, but that's one game.

7 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

When  you tie for team high boards at 7, saying pretty good is kind of underwhelming. He tied TJD for highest boards.

I took the competition, which didn't have anyone taller than Jerome on the floor, into consideration.

8 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Saying his D was not good is subjective here, imo.

In some of the technical/scheme aspects, maybe...but some of Jerome's defensive lapses were so egregious even a layman can see them...Footwork is bad, as I said, backing up on an attacking defender is bad and then getting inside of the charging circle and giving a little jump while the guy drives into you is bad (you're supposed to "stop the ball" before that, right?)...You don't have to be Red Auerbach to see some of these things...

12 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

There were several lapses by others especially in the first half, a number of guys had mediocre defensive efforts.

But we're talking about Jerome Hunter...And if you're talking about Al Durham's defense, I agree...But we basically played good defense the whole game yesterday, with those few notable exceptions...

14 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

And his shooting, as CAM has repeatedly said, he's one of the 3 best shooters on the team, yes his shooting absolutely can help. He didn't shoot well in this game, but that's one game.

And I totally agree...Beyond looking at how flat his shot is, I think he's got a good one, and yesterday he was just barely missing...at least 3 rattled in and out or were off the back iron...matter of millimeters...

18 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

This is one of those things that seems to be in the eye of the beholder. When  you tie for team high boards at 7, saying pretty good is kind of underwhelming. He tied TJD for highest boards. Compare that to some of the other rebounding numbers on the team. Saying his D was not good is subjective here, imo. There were several lapses by others especially in the first half, a number of guys had mediocre defensive efforts. And his shooting, as CAM has repeatedly said, he's one of the 3 best shooters on the team, yes his shooting absolutely can help. He didn't shoot well in this game, but that's one game.

I love Jerome, but he repeatedly got beat by a freshman on North Alabama.  I think he struggles defensively, brings a lot in other areas.

57 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

This.

Aside from his shot not falling, I saw several beats on defense and some bad fouls.  It's one game but every game like that when other players are doing better just adds to the pressure.

Really like him and I hope he steps up but aside from the rebounding yesterday, I didn't see a great game from him in a game where it was easier to have one.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Jerome Hunter. Untapped potential.

Mile, you said it right. I feel like he's still a very much untapped potential, and all he needs would be self-acknowledgement that he could be so much better than what he is now. He needs to believe and to be more assertive. I think Jerome Hunter is a better version of Christian Watford. All the good things Christian was able to do for IU, Jerome can do better, but he needs to believe it first.  

6 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Mile, you said it right. I feel like he's still a very much untapped potential, and all he needs would be self-acknowledgement that he could be so much better than what he is now. He needs to believe and to be more assertive. I think Jerome Hunter is a better version of Christian Watford. All the good things Christian was able to do for IU, Jerome can do better, but he needs to believe it first.  

You know what's funny to me, is all the hate Wat got for his D and rebounding in his frosh and soph seasons. Then he became one of the best defenders on the team and was routinely tasked with defending other team point guards and stars. There was that idiot who used to post here who called him "cookies" because of his D. That's the thing with writing guys off, or just labeling them bad defenders. For what it's worth, Hunter had a terrific first game on both ends of the floor. He needs to step up his D, but the writing off his D is off-base.

10 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

i get what you're saying, but i would be super happy if he ended up a better version of Watford.  Watford's worst scoring year was 12ppg in 4 years.  

Archived