Brunk

So, I thought he might deserve his own thread.  Sorry if the title made people think there was an update.  Not that I think he would make or break us this year as contenders, but I do think it would be big to have him for depth when TJD is in foul trouble or tired.  Being able to keep Race away from being a 5 at times would be big obviously.  Thing is, I know he has been around for a long time already, but I think he could be really big next year with TJD gone.  RP, Franklin, Lander, Galloway, Hunter, Thompson give us decent pieces if they progress.  Maybe we can hope Duncomb is ready quickly.  Maybe Leal and Geronimo progress quickly.  Brunk would still be our only legit big body down low.  Any more word on the likelihood that he is out all season or of him coming back next year? 

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

So, I thought he might deserve his own thread.  Sorry if the title made people think there was an update.  Not that I think he would make or break us this year as contenders, but I do think it would be big to have him for depth when TJD is in foul trouble or tired.  Being able to keep Race away from being a 5 at times would be big obviously.  Thing is, I know he has been around for a long time already, but I think he could be really big next year with TJD gone.  RP, Franklin, Lander, Galloway, Hunter, Thompson give us decent pieces if they progress.  Maybe we can hope Duncomb is ready quickly.  Maybe Leal and Geronimo progress quickly.  Brunk would still be our only legit big body down low.  Any more word on the likelihood that he is out all season or of him coming back next year? 

Not hearing good things about a return this season.... to answer your question.   Time will tell.

1 minute ago, bluegrassIU said:

No official word. But the scuttlebutt is that this may be possible. 

Man, this coaching staff really knows how to underplay injuries. At the beginning of the season it sounded like it wasn't that serious and he'd only miss a few games, or plausibly the whole preconference but only out of "excessive caution." Now it seems possible he's out for the whole season.

So take whatever they say about an injury and multiply it by 10 and that might be close to the actual seriousness of it. 

32 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Man, this coaching staff really knows how to underplay injuries. At the beginning of the season it sounded like it wasn't that serious and he'd only miss a few games, or plausibly the whole preconference but only out of "excessive caution." Now it seems possible he's out for the whole season.

So take whatever they say about an injury and multiply it by 10 and that might be close to the actual seriousness of it. 

Yeah, it really irritates me too! I know back injuries can be tricky but unless surgery is absolutely required, they can also improve quickly with treatment. Hopefully he is seeing a chiropractor if he is having a disc issue. Chiropractic care has helped me tremendously in my life with the herniated discs in my neck. 

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I never understood why fans get upset if they don't know every detail of a players injuries.  It is none of our business and if the players don't want it made public that is their right.  the only people who I would think that would want to know is gamblers who is betting on games.

I'm not even saying that. What I'm saying is that I would prefer it if they were more straightforward about how serious the issue is and how long the amount of time they can actually be expected to be out will be. In other words, for them to not say "a couple of games" or "game time decision" when it's actually serious enough to be several months or the whole season.

You think gamblers are the only ones who would like to have a realistic idea of when players would be back? You have 15.5k posts on this board and had thousands of others on Rivals board before you left so I'm sure you've seen fans talk quite a bit which players they can expect to be available for certain games and when they expect injured players to return. Some of them may be interested for gambling reasons but I think most of them aren't.

I get why coaching staffs don't want opponents to know about injuries as well.  I'm also sure with something like a bad back, things can change very suddenly, so mayb it wasn't misleading.  Whatever.  As I said in the original post, I feel like Brunk could be a very important piece next year after losing TJD.  Otherwise we'd definitely need a transfer or Duncomb and Race would be playing as our center?  I hope Joey comes back!

4 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

Brunk out for the season will be bad news if true.  Gonna be tough to win many games in the B1G without his body.  

CAM needs to rethink his whole open scholarships thing.  We get bit by the injury bug every season and end up being down player(s).   

Go Hoosiers!!!

Brunk was losing minutes at an alarming rate last year in the B1G.  He really isn't a B1G level talent.  Yes he is nice to have for a breather but he is not the reason we will lose games in the B1G.  It definitely hurts not to have another big but to say he is going to be the reason is just looking for excuses. 

Every team has injuries, we just have so many other issues that every injury seem to be so important.  IF we could shoot well, then not having another big wouldn't be as important.  But since all we do is feed the post, it seems like a much bigger deal.

I really like Brunk and he brings great leadership, but he isn't B1G level talent which is why he ended up at Butler in the first place.  I am glad he came to IU because we need his experience but skill wise, he wouldn't start over Race

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Brunk was losing minutes at an alarming rate last year in the B1G.  He really isn't a B1G level talent. 

I really like Brunk and he brings great leadership, but he isn't B1G level talent which is why he ended up at Butler in the first place. 

I'm a little confused here...Joey played in the B10 last year, and had some good games, including scoring 16 in the MSU win, and he's not a "B1G talent"?

I'll give you he's not going to be a star, but was he a serviceable starter? Yes...Is he a capable backup? Hell yes...

I'll grant you that this year's Race Thompson is an upgrade, but not a huge one...

But from a depth perspective in our frontcourt, TJD and/or Race get into foul trouble, you're looking at Jerome Hunter and Jordan Geronimo having to guard B1G 4s and 5s...and that COULD very well make a difference in a game or 2...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm a little confused here...Joey played in the B10 last year, and had some good games, including scoring 16 in the MSU win, and he's not a "B1G talent"?

I'll give you he's not going to be a star, but was he a serviceable starter? Yes...Is he a capable backup? Hell yes...

I'll grant you that this year's Race Thompson is an upgrade, but not a huge one...

But from a depth perspective in our frontcourt, TJD and/or Race get into foul trouble, you're looking at Jerome Hunter and Jordan Geronimo having to guarding B1G 4s and 5s...

he was losing minutes to race by alot last year down the stretch.  did he have some good games yes, a couple.

Never said he wasn't useful because he is a big body.  My point is that we're not going to lose lots of games because we don't have Brunk.  We're going to lose because we can't shoot.  We turn the ball over to much, or we have offense outside of TJD.  Brunk isn't going to change that for us.

I like the kid but he isn't B1G starter talent.  He is a good off the bench 10 minute guy to give Race and TJD a breather or when in foul trouble.

Just my opinion of course and you're completely entitled to yours.

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You threw a qualifier in there...

Sorry, i should have added the qualifier from the beginning.  I like him off the bench for 10 minutes.  I don't want him starting.  I don't want him playing 20+ minutes a game.  He just doesn't bring enough to the floor.  And with the talent we have on the floor its going to show how far behind them he really is.  Like the kid alot though.  Glad he is there and being that leader we need

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Sorry, i should have added the qualifier from the beginning.  I like him off the bench for 10 minutes.  I don't want him starting.  I don't want him playing 20+ minutes a game.  He just doesn't bring enough to the floor.  And with the talent we have on the floor its going to show how far behind them he really is.  Like the kid alot though.  Glad he is there and being that leader we need

No, that's fine...I was just confused by your initial premise...I just hope the lack of frontcourt depth doesn't spell the difference between a top 5 finish, and a lower third of the B1G finish...

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

No, that's fine...I was just confused by your initial premise...I just hope the lack of frontcourt depth doesn't spell the difference between a top 5 finish, and a lower third of the B1G finish...

yeah, TJD is going to be TJD.  The B1G is going to treat us like they did last year until we can prove we can run an offense that doesn't always go through TDJ.  If we do the same thing we did last year, we're going to end up 9th in this league.  We need to elevate our game very soon.

I know I've pointed this out before, but I will again...

IU was 6 points away (loss to Maryland by 1, to Illinois by 1, and Wisconsin by 4 when we had them down by 7 late) from finishing tied with Illinois for 4th in the conference at 12-8...6 points...

6 friggin points...

Brunk was losing minutes at an alarming rate last year in the B1G.  He really isn't a B1G level talent.  Yes he is nice to have for a breather but he is not the reason we will lose games in the B1G.  It definitely hurts not to have another big but to say he is going to be the reason is just looking for excuses. 

Every team has injuries, we just have so many other issues that every injury seem to be so important.  IF we could shoot well, then not having another big wouldn't be as important.  But since all we do is feed the post, it seems like a much bigger deal.

I really like Brunk and he brings great leadership, but he isn't B1G level talent which is why he ended up at Butler in the first place.  I am glad he came to IU because we need his experience but skill wise, he wouldn't start over Race

I never said he'd be starting did I?  Sure Race is better but Brunk was our inside depth.  What happens when Trayce or Race pick up 2 quick cheapy fouls early in the game(we've seen that happen before)?  We either go small or leave them in and have them play less aggressive defense.  Neither is good when you will face the talent the B1G has this year.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

38 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Thanks for clarifying. This i agree with. And that extra experienced big body would be much needed in the big10. Maybe just 10 minutes, but those are very valuable. 

Archived