NCAA bill of rights in Congress

go_iu_bb

I doubt this will pass but here are some stories about the proposed NCAA athlete bill of rights before Congress.

Some of the things in the bill:

-Expands on NIL

-Allows hiring of agents

-Profit sharing for certain sports

-Coverage of medical expenses through a medical trust

-Lifetime scholarships

-A new Commission on College Athletics run by a 9 person board which would, among other things, have subpoena power for investigations 

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/30533536/congressional-proposal-overhaul-college-sports

https://www.si.com/college/2020/12/17/athlete-bill-of-rights-congress-ncaa-football

1 hour ago, Coach1K said:

No way the Senate passes this and no way does SCOTUS rule against the NCAA.

I agree that it won't get passed as is unless the Dems take control of the Senate and even then it's unlikely. 

As for the courts, I have a hard time seeing the NCAA winning many more lawsuits in regards to amateurism. Playing football and basketball this year has pretty much thrown all pretense of amateurism out the window. Coupled with the forthcoming NIL rules there's little likelihood of courts overturning this legislation in the unlikely event it gets passed.

8 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

I agree that it won't get passed as is unless the Dems take control of the Senate and even then it's unlikely. 

As for the courts, I have a hard time seeing the NCAA winning many more lawsuits in regards to amateurism. Playing football and basketball this year has pretty much thrown all pretense of amateurism out the window. Coupled with the forthcoming NIL rules there's little likelihood of courts overturning this legislation in the unlikely event it gets passed.

I haven't paid a ton of attention to this issue outside of what we discuss here on this board but why is this a partisan issue?

Archived