MILEHIIU has passed away

7 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Fred, an extra condolence to you as you have a much more personal loss being close to Ken “in real life.”   You have always been one of the sharpest posters here and we’ve missed your contributions.  Nevertheless, very sorry for your personal loss.  

This whole thing is so shocking.  

Fred I second what Bob posted. You are in my thoughts and prayers my friend. 

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So incredibly sad and tragic. Makes you really reflect on how quickly life can change.

My thoughts are with his family, and those who knew him closely. 

He was the mod on the old Scout site when I first started posting about IU basketball, and always remembered him welcoming me to the community. 

His contributions will be greatly missed.

I don't have the words to express what Mile meant to this board and to myself. I am still in shock and its so odd how you can hurt and mourn someone you never met. Mile was the kindest most sincere person I never met. I just cant imagine being on HSN without him being out there somewhere contributing. Many years ago Mile went to bat for me and allowed me to post personal stuff on this forum. When Ayden was really sick and we were not sure that he was going to make it, Mile allowed me to pour myself out on this forum. He and others allowed me to ask for prayers to give updates to share personal stories this was much more than therapy for me. I truly was in a very dark place and many a PM that Ken sent me helped so much. The thought of losing my little boy was more than I could ever imagine and he was always there to listen and encourage me and I was always able to say whatever I needed to say and he would listen. I know that many of us have these same stories because that was the type of man he was. Many years ago he "officially" made Ayden the mascot of HSN and he was never too busy to reach out and check and see how Ayden was. Very similar to what @Parakeet Jones has shared. These stories will ring true for many of us as I know that Mile was there for all of us. We all know his love for Indiana University, and our HOOSIER NATION has lost a great one. Its hard to put into words how much you can learn and respect someone without ever meeting them. We spoke recently and talked about after we get through all this Covid stuff that we would find some time to catch up. He told me I always had a place to stay in Colorado as long as I brought Ayden with me. @Wafflehead_Fred I just cant imagine how hard it was to break that news to all of us. I just can't fathom that this has happened to Ken. He is one of the only people that I have ever known that when I disagreed with it made me think I just might be wrong if Mile is on the other side of this. No matter what he always treated all of us with respect and welcomed all new comers even @Stlboiler23

To Mrs Mile I am so very sorry for your loss. Ken meant so much to many of us. I pray that GOD continues to comfort you and your family. The memory of Mile will live forever here and through all of the people that he touched. RIP my good friend, things will never be the same. Now you are looking down on your mascot and watching over him. From the bottom of my heart you will be missed Love you Mile!!

2 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I know I already posted once, but I have to again after time to process. Almost two years ago to the day my son was in the middle of his second of three hospitalizations due to pneumonia.  We watched Phinisee hit the shot to beat Butler there. I mentioned in one thread where I was and what was going on with my son. Ever since, whenever Mile would respond to a post of mine he would almost always conclude by checking on my son and wishing him well. That meant a lot to me. That was what I’ll remember most about him. He didn’t just care about members fandom, it was them as people and their lives that mattered to him. 

Parakeet....I posted the same thing about him earlier. Qualities like these are rare these days! It really says something about Mile as a man from this tremendous out pouring. He positively and genuinely cared for everyone. Most telling thing of all....Only a few of the vast HSN members, new and old, have had the privilege to even meet him personally. I only knew him as MILEHIU, never knew his real name and have never seen his face.

17 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Mile was the kindest most sincere person I never met.

This stands out to me, and captures what I think of Mile.

A Hoosier through and through, a fatherly figure that was always encouraging. 

To a life well lived, HSN will never forget you.

Almost immediately, I thought this gives new meaning to his consistent mention of the "always apply the Jeffries rule". To me now it will mean to always treat ever day like it may be your last, because we don't know what will happen tomorrow. 

RIP

ps f2020

9 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

it really is tough.  i was trying to explain to my wife how long i had been on the same message board with him and hat although i didn't know him personally that he was one of the good guys.  i was telling her that we all often disagree and get after each other, but that he never made it personal or got aggressive with people... just a good dude.  i honestly got just a little choked up telling her about how he passed.  along those lines, and please, not trying to get off topic here, but does anyone know if HoosierTilDeath is okay?  

I asked about HTD a couple weeks ago and didn't hear anything. I can just imagine him yelling and screaming during football season. I can see him being like Shooter in the Hoosiers movie when he was in rehab and his son was playing in the state tournament.
Crester and Mile have been reunited in Heaven. I can imagine together making plans to roll out HSN 3.1. 

Just had a memory that demonstrates how synonymous MIle was to this forum in my eyes.

I can't even remember how long ago this was, but there was a time when HSN spontaneously shut down. It maybe was in it's transition from HSN 1.0 TO 2.0. or 1.5 to 2.0. haha. I didn't check the board as frequently back in those days and had no idea what happened or where everybody went. After trying peegs for a few weeks and getting completely frustrated with the format of their old board and any information of significance being behind a paywall, I thought I'd try googling the username of the one poster I knew and remembered from HSN to see where he ended up.....because that was the place where I wanted to be. That poster was was MilehiIU....I eventually found him and the rest of the IUBB community I wanted to be a part of.  

I really wish this was a memory I remembered earlier because now I kind of regret not telling him that. Man, I will miss him.

2 hours ago, jefftheref said:

Fred I second what Bob posted. You are in my thoughts and prayers my friend. 

Thank you both! I went over to their home to help comfort the family late Monday evening and his wife asked that I let the site know as she knew how much you all meant to him. Writing to let HSN know of his passing was incredibly difficult. It happened so suddenly that I'm not sure I had time to truly process. Sitting down and putting words together for you made it sink in... I even put it off for a day so my apologies on the delayed communication. I was just stuck for a moment.

Archived