MILEHIIU has passed away

If there was one person on all the IU boards I've been on that I wish I could have met in person, it was Mile. So genuine, kind, helpful and caring.

Back in the day while I was in between jobs, with him in Colorado and me in the Indy area, he was trying to help with finding a job. And it wasn't just me, I believe they even started a separate forum for job searching. What a Man, Mile was!

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Wafflehead_Fred said:

Thank you both! I went over to their home to help comfort the family late Monday evening and his wife asked that I let the site know as she knew how much you all meant to him. Writing to let HSN know of his passing was incredibly difficult. It happened so suddenly that I'm not sure I had time to truly process. Sitting down and putting words together for you made it sink in... I even put it off for a day so my apologies on the delayed communication. I was just stuck for a moment.

Had he had any medical conditions or was this just an accidental fall

Unbelievable, 2020 just keep kicking when we are down.

I never had the privilege of meeting Ken, but I am thankful to have gotten to share this forum with him.  It's amazing to see the emotion in all these posts, especially from those like me who didn't know him personally, and I think that just speaks to him being an awesome human being.  I will definitely miss having him post on here.

My heartfelt condolences, thoughts and prayers to his wife and family, the other mods and all of HSN. 

My condolences to his family. Although I did not personally know him his posts indicated that he was a very kind-hearted, passionate, positive person that literally never posted anything “mean spirited”.

What a tragic accident. He will be missed and reminds us, yet again, that we should appreciate each and every day, and those around us, as we are not guaranteed the next.
RIP

Just found this post. So sorry and I extend my condolences to his wife and family.  I am relatively newcomer to the sports forums and am glad I found HSN several years ago.  I'm not a frequent poster but  I find myself checking HSN daily.  I cannot thank CC and now Mile enough for their contributions.  I too never personally met either but by reading this board daily I believe I have a true understanding of the fine character of both men.  Great IU fans and even greater persons.

It's easy to forget when living day to day to forget but their passing should remind us to live each day as if it's our last.  Never forget to tell those for whom we care that we love them because we never know when that last chance may occur.

As a Christian I believe that there is home with HIM that God has prepared for us when we called to join Him.  I believe both CC and Mile are now setting up their residences.  May they both RIP and the Peace that can only come from God grace their families.  They will just be supporting  IU from their new home.

Mile was an unbelievably great man, husband, and Hoosier fan. I started posting on the Scout site when I was just a young lad, and I always looked up to him as a poster. Not only did we share several PM's on here and the older forums, but he gave me his email so we could chat back and forth about anything. We messaged about food more than the Hoosiers, which I laugh about when I look back at it. The most recent email I sent him was a recipe for Pho. It's my girlfriends specialty, and he was so excited to try it. I will never know if he was able to enjoy it, but his love for good food and the Hoosiers will be something I will remember for a long time.

I could go on and on about him, but that was my last message and memory with Mile directly.

No other word to describe the man but Legend.

Sad news. Prayers for his family. 

Behind every screen name is a person. We don't know most on here for anything more than their opinions on IU basketball and the game in general. The game and the team connect us. We are Hoosiers! I did not know Mile but he certainly was a Hoosier through and through.

OMG!  Milehi was the only person on this site who i could talk to.  He understood me unlike many of you younger people here on this site.  Any time i had a question or got frustrated when nobody ever commented or replied to something I posted, he was always there to answer or comfort me.  I will surely miss him.

Words cannot express my sorrow!

22 hours ago, Wafflehead_Fred said:

It is with a heavy heart that I must tell everyone that Ken Kurowski, aka milehiiu, passed away Monday, December 14th, 2020. He fell down the basement stairs of his home and hit his head, rendering him unconscious and hemorrhaging in his brain. Medics from the fire station were only a couple minutes from his home and were able to get to him quickly. He was immediately sent to the hospital for operation, but they were not able to save him. He was pronounced dead around 7 PM MT. He was 74 years old.

I had spoken to him only hours earlier. He asked how the job hunt was going, if I liked the Lou Malnati’s pizzas he had sent to me, if my girlfriend (a nurse) was going to get the COVID vaccine this week… nothing about him, just concerned about everyone else. Then we discussed the basketball team, the OT loss to FSU and how they were looking this year. I never imagined that would be the last conversation we would have… I suppose not very often you do.

I've debated how much to write on this topic as he and I were close and it would just end up getting lengthy, but I’ve decided to keep it relatively short and focus on what this online community meant to him.

I used to be heavily involved in our online community from about 2008-2014, migrating with everyone from site to site, but seeing the same ‘ole handles with a growing number of new ones gave a semblance of community. milehiiu was always there and had been long before me. He was a pillar of our online community and I can’t begin to tell you how important this community was for him.

I would spend holidays with him and his family and would occasionally stop over after work to watch an IU game with him as my work was close to his home. My life has gotten busier so my dedication to posting on the site(s) has diminished considerably, but every time we’d see each other, he always asked if I had logged in lately and had I seen such and such posting. Generally, the answer would be no, and he was always delighted to fill me in on whatever he believed I missed. And before I’d leave his house, he would always ask if I could log in and post something as he told me that it would mean a lot to him and to the board (some of you older posters who know me).

He was upbeat, cheerful and always ready to talk anything IU, definitely anything IU BB, and he was always proud of this board and the community it had become.

To anyone interested, I am putting together a fundraising campaign for his wife. Not only has she lost her partner, but also his retirement income and is now saddled with hospital bills. Mods, please let me know if I can provide details in a post or if it’s something that needs to be communicated through direct messaging. I’m more than happy to abide by the rules of the board.

If anyone wishes to send his wife and family a card, she has given me permission to provide the address:

Jo Kurowski

5778 S. Kenton St.

Englewood, CO 80111

Please let me know how and when to participate.

2 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

@Wafflehead_Fred added this....

If anyone wishes to send his wife and family a card, she has given me permission to provide the address:

Jo Kurowski

5778 S. Kenton St.

Englewood, CO 80111

Thanks bluegrass! I'm hoping to have the fundraising campaign up this weekend, as well, in hopes to reach a broader audience. I'm not sure how many know, but in addition to being a pillar in our online community and an IU graduate ('68), he was also an Army veteran. I'm looking into what resources may be available for his family there, too. 

Archived