Should the Crossroads continue?

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I had to laugh at the picture...The only one left at IU is the guy they're hugging...

Geessh.  I remember Forrester sitting on the bench cutting up and laughing down 28 or so to someone.  Pretty sure Archie gave him the death stare but unfortunately the administration had taken the teeth out of him, per reports.

3 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Maybe just me, but reading that immediately made me think of rebooting the UK series.

Louisville and Indianapolis type rotation. 

I'll say the same thing as I said last year and year before. We have carried the water long enough for this regional get together. With 20 conference games a new norm I'd either prefer a layup game or a national game. This classic is the same thing as always. If we win we're supposed to win and if we lose....it causes problems. Give me a Friday/Sunday Indiana Classic like Knight used to do....or give me a Kansas or whomever on the schedule. 

17 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I don't mind keeping it, but move it so we can be invited to and join in bigger more national tournaments.  I know we have had to pass on other because of this one.  I would rather play UL, KU, UK, Duke, MSU, Gonz, etc, than Butler or ND.  

Just my opinion.  Most years its not a big boost for us and a hit if we lose.

This and the comment by Brey is why it should go.  Indiana is the Crossroads Classic.  We know, fans know it, even the opposing coaches know it.  It is Indiana providing a Welfare payment to Notre Dame, Butler, and Purdue every year.  Take Indiana off the slate of games and that thing dies a low attendance death within a few years (see also Purdue Blockbuster).  Remove any of those other teams and replace them with someone else and no one cares.  Indiana will still carry attendance.

It sounds to me like Miller is on the same page as me.  If we are going to be the main draw then we should invite a team every few years that is going to have little draw in the area but be a big name (Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc.) Go for a name in the area who will draw fans but is not the game people really want (Louisville).  Or we just suck it up and get the marquee Indianapolis event back that most people want (Kentucky).

However, I view the Crossroads Classic as a lose/lose proposition for IU.  Generally a loss to Butler or Notre Dame hurts us more than a win IMO and with IU being the main attraction and equally sharing revenue, I see the C.C. as mostly downside for IU.

51 minutes ago, PritchardPutBack said:

I've enjoyed it, but I remember hearing that the timing of it had blocked us from being in the Champions Classic with UCLA, UK, and UNC. Especially if it means we could get into something like that I would be perfectly fine with the Crossroads Classic ending

This.  Boot Ohio State and slide us in the spot that was supposed to be ours in the first place. 

Just a wild idea off the top of my head...

"The Tri-State Classic"

Indiana, Kentucky, Louisville, Ohio State, Cincinnati and a wild card/rotational team. 

Venue would be on a 3 year rotation between the 3 states, likely Indianapolis/Louisville/Columbus. 

Matchups would be a blind draw, with the following two exceptions:

1. No duplicating of games already on that years schedule (meaning IU wouldn't play OSU, UK wouldn't play UL, etc) 

2. You can't play the same team two years in a row. 

It's a reasonable distance for all 5 fan bases, and could be kept more regional or national depending on the wild card team. All the matchups would be reasonably high profile. 

Even if the ideas above is off the table, is the Crossroads more valuable than a series against Kentucky, Arizona, Kansas, Florida, Villanova or any of the high rollers of college ball?  I don't think it is.  Not much to gain beating Butler, Notre Dame, Purdue when you could possibly get the chance to add a W against the schools above i listed.

9 minutes ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Even if the ideas above is off the table, is the Crossroads more valuable than a series against Kentucky, Arizona, Kansas, Florida, Villanova or any of the high rollers of college ball?  I don't think it is.  Not much to gain beating Butler, Notre Dame, Purdue when you could possibly get the chance to add a W against the schools above i listed.

Anyone with John Lennon in his avatar is permanently approved by me.  

5 hours ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Not much to gain but plenty to lose, If you lose to a team you are suppose to beat it is headline news. If you win it is ..Depleted Butler loses to IU., so you even lose when you win...... I also don’t want UK in Indy. Cal just wants to recruit Indy and take the home court advantage away from us. He can’t work IU into UK’s schedule, but he can sign ND to a three year series and get his Indy game. Cal looks after Cal and will only play by his rules. I would love to play them, but can wait until he is gone........Many here in Kentucky are ready to see him go.

56 minutes ago, MaroonRebel said:

Not much to gain but plenty to lose, If you lose to a team you are suppose to beat it is headline news. If you win it is ..Depleted Butler loses to IU., so you even lose when you win...... I also don’t want UK in Indy. Cal just wants to recruit Indy and take the home court advantage away from us. He can’t work IU into UK’s schedule, but he can sign ND to a three year series and get his Indy game. Cal looks after Cal and will only play by his rules. I would love to play them, but can wait until he is gone........Many here in Kentucky are ready to see him go.

I'm going to guess ol' Cal is less interested in playing IU than he was 4-5 years ago.  I too have no interest in giving him a pitch about playing in every year in Indianapolis to Indiana recruits and that's what he wanted.  He's had all sorts of reasonable alternatives pitched to him but he only wants what helps Cal.

Archived