Butler post game

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really solid second half. 

Held an opponent below 40% again. 

Starting to think we aren't a terrible shooting team, especially when factoring in the fact that Al hasn't gotten going from three yet. 

I liked the shortened bench, although was a little surprised we didn't see more Lander. 

I continue to think we are a solid team and program is taking another step forward, as they have every single year under Archie. 

We looked flat and tired in spots. To me, that means this was a good performance. Could have folded down nine...instead stretched the lead to 15 (which should have been more with too many missed free throws and opportunities down the stretch) I thought Phinisee in particular looked tired. TJD looked a little heavy legged too, especially early on.

Race Thompson is much improved and an important player for us, but needs to stay within himself...Him driving the ball led to four TO's I believe...

We protected the rim better in the second half, which led to runouts....

I thought even when Butler was on a run it mostly came on tough shots, which turned our way in the second half as they made far fewer tough shots then...

My takes... 

Bad -

No consistency from anybody outside of TJD. If we could get one or two other consistent contributors we would be a really tough out.

Out-rebounded and FT shooting 👎🏻

Good -

Butler is scrappy - turned up the intensity in the second half and put them away as we should. Only gave up 23 points in the second.

Franklin !

Winning without Brunk. Brunk is a big miss. Having three solid big guys is huge when you have one in foul trouble.

Maybe 11:30 was to early of a start for the guys.  Second half was a lot better but they need to come out of the gate like they did the second  half.

I saw in the game thread about flopping and the other day watching a game but can't remember who but one player was called for flopping twice.  Both were when this player was shooting a 3 and fell to the floor.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe 11:30 was to early of a start for the guys.  Second half was a lot better but they need to come out of the gate like they did the second  half.

I saw in the game thread about flopping and the other day watching a game but can't remember who but one player was called for flopping twice.  Both were when this player was shooting a 3 and fell to the floor.

Is James Harden playing college ball again? 

Maybe I'm just cranky today, but some things about this game bugged the crap out of me...

@mchenry34 summed up a lot of how I feel. We looked lethargic at times, got out rebounded, turned it over 15 times, and left a lot of points at the FT line... Glad we won, but if we think that is going to cut it in the B10, we've got another think coming.

Glad Armaan had a great shooting day, and his defense was good most of the day, but turnovers... Geez...

Didn't get much from Rob, and Al was Al...

TJD and Race, especially on the defensive end, drove the big run. 

And Galloway continues to impress me...he always seems to know where the ball is, and where it needs to go...and his defense is scrappy...

Missed the game today, grocery shopping and in a downpour.... I probably would’ve enjoyed the game more....

Franklin’s numbers are looking impressive. He could not shoot outside in the first few games but is now knocking them down. Consistent going forward or just good shooting days?

Broken record but I’m frustrated Hunter isn’t playing more — however it’s clear now CAM is heavily emphasizing a 3-guard 2-forward look with TJD and Race getting the lion share (deservedly) of forward minutes. I do think we’re going to lose B1G games we could’ve won unless CAM adds more outside scoring to the minutes, but also see we’re going to be scrappy and tough defensively and rely on that to win.
Really would like to see Lander getting more run, and at least from the box it looks like Rob struggled, 1 basket, 4 fouls. Why did Lander play only 2 minutes?

Dominant 2nd half. Say what you want about our offensive struggles - and some of it is warranted...but there’s no question our defense has come a very long way under Archie’s coaching. Kenpom now ranks us as the 8th best defense in the country...a far cry from the defense he inherited ranked in the 100s

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Maybe I'm just cranky today, but some things about this game bugged the crap out of me...

@mchenry34 summed up a lot of how I feel. We looked lethargic at times, got out rebounded, turned it over 15 times, and left a lot of points at the FT line... Glad we won, but if we think that is going to cut it in the B10, we've got another think coming.

Glad Armaan had a great shooting day, and his defense was good most of the day, but turnovers... Geez...

Didn't get much from Rob, and Al was Al...

TJD and Race, especially on the defensive end, drove the big run. 

And Galloway continues to impress me...he always seems to know where the ball is, and where it needs to go...and his defense is scrappy...

I think that's where most of us are. Easily a 20 point win. Although I guess one thing is good...I like learning while winning. 

Archived