Biggie!

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

https://www.wane.com/news/crime/former-homestead-and-purdue-basketball-standout-caleb-swanigan-arrested-in-whitley-county-on-drug-charges/

As a free agent, not the way to get a look. Doesn't look to be anywhere near in playing shape.

I posted in the other thread about this but he needs help. Hopefully can get back in good graces with Barnes. 

1 minute ago, FWIUFan said:

It is truly sad to see this young man squander the opportunities that he has been given.  Life is the sum total of the choices we make.  Hopefully, he can learn to choose wisely  and not be drawn to a life of crime.  What a waste that would be.

It’s extremely sad but I’m guessing none of us on this board grew up like he did. Can’t even begin to imagine what that was like and how it’s impacted his life. 

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

The guy needs help. Organized basketball/structure was what helped him get his life turned around. Once that was gone, sadly this was inevitable I think. 

Do you think that any destructive behavior took place after his NBA release?  Or, could it be it started while he was still active and that's what prevented him from fulfilling his potential.  A lot of bad influences in and around NBA rosters for athletes that are susceptible.  

Whichever is the case, it's a sad situation.   

3 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

It’s extremely sad but I’m guessing none of us on this board grew up like he did. Can’t even begin to imagine what that was like and how it’s impacted his life. 

No doubt but doesn't change what has to happen for him.  As I taught my children growing up, there comes a time when you are responsible for your behavior and life choices and you and only you will reap the rewards or the consequences.  As an adult it's all on you.

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Do you think that any destructive behavior took place after his NBA release?  Or, could it be it started while he was still active and that's what prevented him from fulfilling his potential.  A lot of bad influences in and around NBA rosters for athletes that are susceptible.  

Whichever is the case, it's a sad situation.   

Who knows. I know the best situation for him was when he was living with Barnes/ at Purdue in a structured environment but that obviously wasn’t going to last forever. I think it must have been tough working as hard as he did to make it to the league only to realize that he wasn’t going to get a second contract when that was all he had been working toward for so many years you know?

2 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

No doubt but doesn't change what has to happen for him.  As I taught my children growing up, there comes a time when you are responsible for your behavior and life choices and you and only you will reap the rewards or the consequences.  As an adult it's all on you.

I don’t disagree with you but it’s hard to compare a kid that grew up with a normal home life to one who experienced significant trauma IMO. 

Meh, it's just weed...It'll be legal everywhere in the next 10 years...Unless he had a ton of it and was selling, I wouldn't be too concerned about that part...

If he's got anybody that really cares about him, they need to get him a personal trainer and try to get him back into playing, whether it be here, or overseas...

He'll either straighten himself out, or wind up like his dad...

Hoping for the former...

Yeah it’s just weed, and weed is probably less destructive than alcohol or opioids, which a lot of people don’t want to accept because of the stereotypes on weed perpetuated by various campaigns.  As a result, there are a lot of people out there that perceive weed as a minority driven, lazy person’s excuse to be unmotivated for a product gangs leverage etc.  

And probably half the NBA smokes weed.  I don’t recall whether they test for it but I tend to doubt it since you don’t hear anything about weed suspensions.  

Nevertheless, it’s the decision making, including his weight, and getting off track that’s a bad look.  He’s not good enough to have a team ignore it.  They will get another player who is a easier to deal with.  

50 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

The guy needs help. Organized basketball/structure was what helped him get his life turned around. Once that was gone, sadly this was inevitable I think. 

Hate to see a guy going through things like this, hope he gets help and turns things around.

But then it is just weed and paraphernalia. It's really unfortunate that guys get prosecuted for weed, frankly, it's stupid. It's legal now in multiple states, it is very much like alcohol (and prohibition obviously failed) only according to most studies far less dangerous. I don't mean to turn this discussion into a debate over legalizing marijuana, but when guys are prosecuted over it, unless we're talking a major amount or selling weed, it's just stupid.

i got no problem with the "it's jus weed" thing, but something tells me there's a difference in smoking a little weed and what he was busted for.  busted at 2am, currently weighin 416 lbs, i don't think he was just hanging out at home, minding his own business and smoking a little weed.  something tells me he's into the wrong lifestyle.  

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i got no problem with the "it's jus weed" thing, but something tells me there's a difference in smoking a little weed and what he was busted for.  busted at 2am, currently weighin 416 lbs, i don't think he was just hanging out at home, minding his own business and smoking a little weed.  something tells me he's into the wrong lifestyle.  

It would be interesting to see what he was doing/where he was at type thing.  There are no strip clubs in Whitley county...

20 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Yeah it’s just weed, and weed is probably less destructive than alcohol or opioids, which a lot of people don’t want to accept because of the stereotypes on weed perpetuated by various campaigns.  As a result, there are a lot of people out there that perceive weed as a minority driven, lazy person’s excuse to be unmotivated for a product gangs leverage etc.  

And probably half the NBA smokes weed.  I don’t recall whether they test for it but I tend to doubt it since you don’t hear anything about weed suspensions.  

Nevertheless, it’s the decision making, including his weight, and getting off track that’s a bad look.  He’s not good enough to have a team ignore it.  They will get another player who is a easier to deal with.  

Weed is everywhere, in high schools etc., and the misconception that it's a minority problem is just that, misconception and stereotyping. 

51 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Weed is everywhere, in high schools etc., and the misconception that it's a minority problem is just that, misconception and stereotyping. 

Totally.   People of a certain age were essentially brainwashed to judge by the media and campaigns against it.  The way it was depicted on TV, how the news covered it, etc. 

7 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Totally.   People of a certain age were essentially brainwashed to judge by the media and campaigns against it.  The way it was depicted on TV, how the news covered it, etc. 

I don't know...I "came of age" in the 70s and most people I knew smoked weed...

I've seen very productive people who are "heads" and I've seen lazy people that smoked too...I don't think it had much affect on motivation...

Never appealed to me to but then again I don't drink a whole lot either...and I think alcoholism is much more dangerous/damaging than weed use...

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

https://www.wane.com/news/crime/former-homestead-and-purdue-basketball-standout-caleb-swanigan-arrested-in-whitley-county-on-drug-charges/

As a free agent, not the way to get a look. Doesn't look to be anywhere near in playing shape.

I feel bad for some of these guys who just make dumb decisions with their lives.  We have a few former players who fit that bill too...Edwards and Leary to name a few.

I'm surprised he's not playing overseas. As for the arrest, it doesn't seem like it's the type of thing that would detail a playing career if he still wants one. Marijuana and paraphernalia sounds as though he was planning to smoke it and wasn't dealing. There have been tons of athletes who have been busted for it and/or failed drug tests and still had successful playing careers.

That he's not playing overseas and is being reported by others here as weighing over 400 lb (where is that from? I didn't see it in the article) makes it seem as though he had no more interest in playing. In that case, if he planned on using his education to go in to teaching, this could certainly hurt him.

13 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

I'm surprised he's not playing overseas. As for the arrest, it doesn't seem like it's the type of thing that would detail a playing career if he still wants one. Marijuana and paraphernalia sounds as though he was planning to smoke it and wasn't dealing. There have been tons of athletes who have been busted for it and/or failed drug tests and still had successful playing careers.

That he's not playing overseas and is being reported by others here as weighing over 400 lb (where is that from? I didn't see it in the article) makes it seem as though he had no more interest in playing. In that case, if he planned on using his education to go in to teaching, this could certainly hurt him.

Just sad...what he could have vs. what he has are all based on choices and motivation...he's made some bad choices and he appears to have very little motivation.

Archived